Trump foreign policy

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

He's up a creek without a paddle. When French citizens bestir themselves enough to actually protest, things are dire. 

True, but there are better ways to completely cave while saving face and spinning it to your political advantage.

Just now, keepthefaith said:

If we could hack off Israel and move it to a spot in the Caribbean or closer to Bermuda we'd care a lot less. 

I knew that many would respond with this.  I gotta ask.  Why do we, at this point in history, give a flip about Israel?  What have they done to improve my life? 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I knew that many would respond with this.  I gotta ask.  Why do we, at this point in history, give a flip about Israel?  What have they done to improve my life? 

Batman-v-Superman-Wonder-Woman-Gadot-3.j

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/12/2018 at 2:25 PM, Chef Jim said:

We have a history as a nation of defending democratic nations that are threatened by *****. 

One man's opinion.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-israel-allies-2017-2

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

We have a history as a nation of defending democratic nations that are threatened by *****. 

One man's opinion.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-israel-allies-2017-2

Yes we have that history.  But let's think about it.  How has loss of life and treasure defending the Israeli democracy improved the life of Joe Average here in the US?  If we said "***** it, you're on your own" how would that harm us?  If we pulled out completely from the ME how would that harm us? We are now the world's largest producer of crude oil.  Now that doesn't mean we don't rely on oil from the ME too but if we were ever to become nearly 100% energy self sufficient would we need any presence in the ME?  I'm obviously very naive regarding all this but if we left the ME to themselves, let them ***** themselves up how would that hurt us?  Or would it not hurt us at all but instead help us. 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Yes we have that history.  But let's think about it.  How has loss of life and treasure defending the Israeli democracy improved the life of Joe Average here in the US?  If we said "***** it, you're on your own" how would that harm us?  If we pulled out completely from the ME how would that harm us? We are now the world's largest producer of crude oil.  Now that doesn't mean we don't rely on oil from the ME too but if we were ever to become nearly 100% energy self sufficient would we need any presence in the ME?  I'm obviously very naive regarding all this but if we left the ME to themselves, let them ***** themselves up how would that hurt us?  Or would it not hurt us at all but instead help us. 

The world abhors a power vacuum, and bad actors will rush to fill it.

The world is safer for Americans when America is best able to exert it's influence and project it's power around the globe, especially in hostile regions.

Israel is our strategic foothold in a region of immense economic and geopolitical importance.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The world abhors a power vacuum, and bad actors will rush to fill it.

The world is safer for Americans when America is best able to exert it's influence and project it's power around the globe, especially in hostile regions.

Israel is our strategic foothold in a region of immense economic and geopolitical importance.

I get this but I will remind you that the part in bold is why we had 9/11 and other terrorist acts around the globe.  I don't care if bad actors rush in.  The ME has been full of bad actors for a very long time.  As long as we contain them how will they hurt us?  Yeah the whole nuke thing in troublesome.  And what would be the true economic damage to the US if we let them eat themselves?  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

I get this but I will remind you that the part in bold is why we had 9/11 and other terrorist acts around the globe.  I don't care if bad actors rush in.  The ME has been full of bad actors for a very long time.  As long as we contain them how will they hurt us?  Yeah the whole nuke thing in troublesome.  And what would be the true economic damage to the US if we let them eat themselves?  

It's a globally interconnected economy.  The US is the worlds largest oil producer, but prices are lower, and more stable (both things which are better for American business and consumers) when the US is the largest producer in an even larger global market.

And it's not bad actors in the ME I'm talking about.  It's the Russias and Chinas of the world who will flow into any space we vacate.  While we occupy those spaces we can exert outsized influence on the world, and the world is better, and Americans are better off when we do.

Someone will fill any void we make, and they won't have our best interests in mind.