Trump foreign policy

On 6/10/2018 at 12:52 PM, B-Man said:

Merkel-Trump-G7-2018-w-border-e152863652The featured image photo was released by the Office of German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

By releasing the photo, Merkel signaled that she viewed it as portraying her favorably. She was standing above Trump, with most of the other G-87 nations having her back visually (other than Japanese Prime Minister Abe).

The NY Times put the photo on its front page, you know the Editors thought it made Trump look bad:

That’s pretty much the reading the mainstream media and anti-Trump social media is giving the photo. That the photo shows the U.S. isolated even among its allies, that Trump looks weak, and that we need to defer to Germany and other allies on trade and security issues. It also is another occasion for the fevered swamps of Russia-collusion theories to accuse Trump of being Putin’s puppet in splitting the West.

This is clearly one of those Rorschach Test-type photos, so people can read into it what they want.

But I think the anti-Trump reading of the photo ignores what happened in 2016. Is Trump standing up to foreign leaders to pursue what he views as a pro-American position really a negative? Trump supporters, and I think a lot of independents, will view this photo much more favorably.

I think Seth Mandel had it right:

… if anyone thinks this Steffen Seibert photo is going to hurt Trump with voters I really don’t think you’ve been paying attention

“The Germans and French are angry with Trump, so vote Democrat” is… well let me just say, I wouldn’t advise Dems to run with this one

From Prof. Jacobson: https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/06/who-won-in-merkel-trump-g-7-photo-reader-poll/#more-251977

6d0.jpg

Funny how choosing the right picture can completely change the narrative.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, bdutton said:

6d0.jpg

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the prior Presidential  administration directly issued photos to the press pool for publishing rather than allow them to photograph many events.

30 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the prior Presidential  administration directly issued photos to the press pool for publishing rather than allow them to photograph many events.

Obama was pretty thin gruel in all aesthetic values when the audience wasn't sucking up to him 100%

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, bdutton said:

6d0.jpg

One would question WHY the Germans released the original then.....................right ?

The featured image photo was released by the Office of German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

58 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

No, but the GOP can do better than Donald freaking Trump....

The GOP could have / could do better.  But if 60% of the things that seem to have happened in '15-'16 actually happened & 60% of the things that seem to be happening in our courts, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran, & North Korea are happening, not really sure that we the people could've done better.  

NEVER would've seen an upside (other than not having another Clinton in the WH & not sure that even that wouldn't have been viewed as a wash back then)  back in '15 of having the Cheeto dusted golem in the WH.