What modern-era Bills deserve to be on the Wall of Fame?

Spurna

What modern-era Bills deserve to be on the Wall of Fame?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What modern-era Bills deserve to be on the Wall of Fame?

• Eric Moulds
    • Doug Flutie
    • Sam Cowart
    • Ruben Brown
    • Drew Bledsoe
    • Takeo Spikes
    • Terrence McGee
    • Aaron Schobel
    • Jason Peters
    • Fred Jackson
    • Kyle Williams
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • C.J. Spiller
    • Mario Williams
    • Tyrod Taylor
    • Someone else (list in comments)
    • None of them

Kyle Williams, Eric Moulds, & Ruben Brown with Moulds being the most worthy. He came out of that great draft class for receivers in 1996 and he was as good as any of them with the exception of Terrel Owens. That includes Marvin Harrison who had the good fortune of being paired with Peyton Manning for years. Moulds, on the other hand, was great with multiple QB's (Flutie, Johnson, Bledsoe) and a variety of offensive systems. Plus, he passes the eye test. He was a ton of fun to watch. Also. don't forget, he held the NFL record for receiving yards in a playoff game with 240.

Plus:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/single-season-receiving.htm

Edited by Tisker A Tasker

Anyone who didn't vote for Kyle Williams, I mean, I can't even.

Anyone who only voted for 1-2 guys is clearly not familiar with the bar one needs to clear to make the Wall of Fame. It's not the Hall of Fame, folks.

Me personally, I voted for Moulds, Ruben, Kyle and Fred Jackson. You could make a strong case for Aaron Schobel. In fact, he's probably an all-time greater Bill than Phil Hansen, who's up there.

And by the way, the #1 player who should be on the Wall and isn't is Cornelius Bennett. Still a mystery.

For comparison. these are the players from pre-1998 who led the team in Approximate Value for at least one season and still aren't on the Wall of Fame:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

Cornelius Bennett (1988)

Guy Frazier (1985)

Greg Bell (1984)

Joe Cribbs (1980, 1981)

Isiah Robertson (1979)

Terry Miller (1978)

Pete Richardson (1970)

Butch Byrd (1966, 1968, 1969)

Ron McDole (1967)

Cookie Gilchrist (1962)

Billy Atkins (1961)

Richie McCabe (1960)

These "modern era" players should be put on hold until other long-deserving (overdue?) candidates are considered. Such as:

Bennett

B.Byrd

Gilchrist

McDole

Not to mention, a non-player (Lou Saban). These omissions are glaring. Whatever "justifications", mostly petty, for bypassing some of these candidates should be buried once and for all.

These "modern era" players should be put on hold until other long-deserving (overdue?) candidates are considered. Such as:

Bennett

B.Byrd

Gilchrist

McDole

Not to mention, a non-player (Lou Saban). These omissions are glaring. Whatever "justifications", mostly petty, for bypassing some of these candidates should be buried once and for all.

Lou Saban was put on the wall last year

Kyle Williams way above Freddy. Freddy was good for a spell.. But Kyle has been here for a decade

Honestly Freddy's body of work is too small to warrant the wall IMO

Smerlas is far more worthy than Kyle. Ted Washington wasn't really here long enough, but I would put him up over Kyle as well.

Bennett

B.Byrd

Gilchrist

McDole

I agree on your overdue candidates. I sympathize with all the younger fans who have never known a legit winning Bills team, but all the "modern era" players know is how to lose. Edited by Rico

I'm not sure any of 'em truly deserve it.

I voted for Freddy and Eric Moulds. I think both could have been Pro Bowl (more often), maybe even HOF type, players if (1) they stayed healthy, (2) played on playoff teams with national attention, and (3) had supporting casts that helped them produce better numbers.

Maybe I should have also voted for Kyle Williams and Aaron Schoebel for similar reasons.

Kyle and Fred both played with a lot of heart - and talent - on bad teams. They deserved better.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Only Fred, and even that's still debatable. So many others like Butch Byrd are far, far more worthy.

This is a great post; Butch needs to be there now! Thank you!

Bennett

B.Byrd

Gilchrist

McDole

Great selections, I get misty eyed over all!

Rueben Brown (9X pro bowler, 4X ALL PRO)

Eric Moulds (3X pro bowler, 3X ALL PRO)

Kyle Williams (4X pro bowler, 1X ALL PRO)

that's it.

Rueben Brown's resume ought to get him considered for the Hall of Fame.

And, yet, I always thought he was overrated. Too many flags and just not as dominant as his resume suggests.

Bennett

B.Byrd

Gilchrist

McDole

Good post. Valid points.

Edited by hondo in seattle