Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

Good suggestion. I just know the answer will be I need to replace gaskets, which may or may not work. Then maybe it's fluid in the intake valve.... then I've paid half of what it's worth trying to repair stupid the thing. Food Saver semi-disposable may be in my future. But I'll take a shot at them first.

Some models of the Foodsavers have a "marinate" button that allows you to pump air out of bag with meat and marinade, but then stop it at the right moment to seal it.

This is the one I got. It's expensive, but WELL worth the extra dough. I use these Foodsaver Zipper bags because I'm constantly prepping meals for the freezer, and these bags make work VERY quick and clean.

The biggest benefit of the sous vide, to me, is being able to put frozen pouches in of prepared meals, and to that end, these tools are worth their cost.

I have a food saver deluxe that has the hose attachment. Is that what your unit uses? I thought it was mainly for sealing jars. I guess I haven't looked into it much.

Flat Iron anyone? Have read where you can go straight from freezer to bath, and just add an hour or so...anyone with experience doing that?

I tend to have plenty of Flat Irons in the freezer as it goes on sale for $5.99 lb occasionally and get 6 or 7 of them and put them in the freezer. But I did not have my sealer last tme i bought a bunch, so i am thawing today so i can add the salt and other seasonings.

My question is for the group..and I could not find online...would it be okay for me to season a steak, then vacuum seal, then throw in the freezer, and go right from freezer to bath?

My question is for the group..and I could not find online...would it be okay for me to season a steak, then vacuum seal, then throw in the freezer, and go right from freezer to bath?

I do this all the time. In fact, I swear my steaks do better going in frozen than going in cold. In for 3 hours at 130 degrees.

I only ever season them with salt/pepper and a slab of butter before vacuum sealing, but it's my preferred way.

I do this all the time. In fact, I swear my steaks do better going in frozen than going in cold. In for 3 hours at 130 degrees.

I only ever season them with salt/pepper and a slab of butter before vacuum sealing, but it's my preferred way.

cool...so they had ribeyes on sale today...did not put the butter in, but salt and pepper, vacuum seal and into the freezer. Hope your right!!!!

I don't freeze/store much, but this could be a game changer! It would be nice to have a backup plan in the house that is better than Bagel Bites.

BTW - I have a couple 8oz filet mignon going now waiting for the wife to finish her doctors appt at an unknown time......perfect night for sous vide. :)

cool...so they had ribeyes on sale today...did not put the butter in, but salt and pepper, vacuum seal and into the freezer. Hope your right!!!!

I'm right about this. When it comes to eating in my house, two truths play a role: I do all the cooking, and I work from home.

When good cuts of meat go on sale, I buy them up, bring them home, season and freeze and we're set. If you want to eliminate all the processed food out there AND eat really well, you can do it every night...even with a family...if you just plan ahead.

I'm right about this. When it comes to eating in my house, two truths play a role: I do all the cooking, and I work from home.

When good cuts of meat go on sale, I buy them up, bring them home, season and freeze and we're set. If you want to eliminate all the processed food out there AND eat really well, you can do it every night...even with a family...if you just plan ahead.

Does vacuum sealing extend the freezer life of meat?

Does vacuum sealing extend the freezer life of meat?

Absolutely. At least in my own experience. One thing we do after Thanksgiving, beyond making stock, is prep soups for the next 6-8 months.

One container gets stock, we dice up turkey and put it in a sandwich zip lock and then cut up carrots and celery and put in another sandwich zip lock. Both the unzipped zip locks go into a single Foodsaver bag and we vacuum seal those components. I've had no problem pulling that out eight months after going in, and the idea of having soup four meals like that ready to go is awesome, and fresh as the day it was made.

The caveat, at least that I have found, is if the seal wasn't good going into the freezer (which happens on occasion with Foodsavers), and the ice builds up, it's like putting anything else in the freezer by itself. You have to watch things like ribs, that may have a sharp bone that will cut the bag when the air is being sucked out.

I ordered my son's Xmas Weston vacuum sealer, then mine died. So I ordered a Food Saver linked above. Food Saver is cheap enough (1/3 of Weston) that it doesn't concern me if one goes bad eventually. It's curious how little info there is regarding servicing the Weston. It's only about 10 months old and it seals, but the vacuum is getting damn near impossible to achieve. Not sure if I filled out the warranty card and of course I don't have reciept from 10 months ago. Suggestions?

For anyone who might encounter this, the response I got was you can tell if it's the oval gasket gone bad by pressing down hard on the lid. When doing that I got an easy vacuum. So, rather than press hard every time, I ordered the 2 replacement gaskets (no idea which one is the issue, or if it's both?) for about $14 each (plus shipping). Beats buying a new vacuum sealer at a steep $199, but still pisses me off after less than a year. Fill out your warranty cards and keep receipts! They have a pulse mode so you can handle some marinades and juices without issue.

Okay..been farting around the various sites in preparation for Sunday. We do a whole tenderloin.

Read one site that advocates for the sear pre-water soak, with a very quick sear post bath. The theory being while meat is colder can develop deeper crust without fear of overcooking the meat with 2 minutes a side if needed...30 seconds a side post to just reinforce.

Thoughts, experiences and tenderloin recipes welcomed!

I can't comment on the sous vide yet, but I can offer a prep suggestion if you've got a great big fat beef tenderloin.

The day before you're going to cook it and after you've cut off all that silvery connective tissue, put waaaaay more dry rub on it than you think would typically be appropriate and massage it in there like a Chargers security guard.Then do it again so there is twice as much as waaaaay more than you would normally put on a piece of beef. (The last time I did a tenderloin I went with a creole rub and then served it with a remoulade sauce)

Then put it in the fridge uncovered overnight and don't take it out until a little while before you're going to put a sear on it (you want it nice and dry when you sear it).

And then send me your address so I can come over on Sunday and make sure you did it right!

Edited by Simon

Okay..been farting around the various sites in preparation for Sunday. We do a whole tenderloin.

Read one site that advocates for the sear pre-water soak, with a very quick sear post bath. The theory being while meat is colder can develop deeper crust without fear of overcooking the meat with 2 minutes a side if needed...30 seconds a side post to just reinforce.

I have READ about this double sear technique, but have only done the pat dry then sear post cooking (on a screaming hot double burner grill pan). I have a hard notice imagining it could come out any better, but I can't say not having tried the other way.

I just put a bone in rib roast in the tank this morning. They were on sale for $5/lb so I figured it was a good time to try it out. It is about 4 lbs so I figure about 10 hours at 130 should do it. I just rubbed with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I plan on coming up with some sort of paste (garlic and/or horseradish) to put on it before placing it in the oven at 450 just long enough to get a nice crust. Any suggestions from those that have tried something similar would be appreciated. It comes out of the water around 6:00.

I just put a bone in rib roast in the tank this morning. They were on sale for $5/lb so I figured it was a good time to try it out. It is about 4 lbs so I figure about 10 hours at 130 should do it. I just rubbed with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I plan on coming up with some sort of paste (garlic and/or horseradish) to put on it before placing it in the oven at 450 just long enough to get a nice crust. Any suggestions from those that have tried something similar would be appreciated. It comes out of the water around 6:00.

Did a rib roast couple of weeks ago...i think the hotter you can get the oven the better. I went with paste of garlic, rosemary and thyme...broil for the sear ( i have 3 broil settings, went the middle and middle rack position(hehe, i said rack), watched very closely and it came out great!