Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

I have a torch, but dont feel like its been a huge aid in the steak front. i stick to a hot pan sear or grill if already fired up. i have found that on some more oddly shaped roasts it can do the trick for spots that are hard reach the pan. just play a little and you will get a feel for the torch being too close/far, used too long etc... basically add color but dont blacken is my only goal.

This weeks "will it sous vide" call for votes for which to try, and friday it has the "did it sous vide"

not a great trio in my opinion, but the series has some good ones

http://skillet.lifehacker.com/will-it-sous-vide-lets-pick-another-topic-1789614816

I just got myself the Anova a couple weeks ago. I love it and have made some amazing steaks and good chicken and pork chops. I'm still working on mastering the sear techniques. So far I have just used my cast iron pan and peanut oil. I purchased a torch and will be trying that out soon. Has anyone else used a torch to sear their meats?

I took someone's suggestion here and just re-season and smear the meat with room temp butter then sear on screaming hot cast iron pan (or large grill pan over 2 burners for bigger items). That helps to keep the splatter down. Never tried peanut oil or a torch. Going out to get some skirt steak now......can't help myself...

I took someone's suggestion here and just re-season and smear the meat with room temp butter then sear on screaming hot cast iron pan (or large grill pan over 2 burners for bigger items). That helps to keep the splatter down. Never tried peanut oil or a torch. Going out to get some skirt steak now......can't help myself...

What about throwing it in a very hot charcoal grill for a minute each side?

What about throwing it in a very hot charcoal grill for a minute each side?

You can do that, but I prefer cast iron pan. Think about it, grill marks (the best sear) are where the meat makes contact with the hot grate. I like the idea of 100% surface coverage with the sear. Maybe that's just me, but I love that!

You can do that, but I prefer cast iron pan. Think about it, grill marks (the best sear) are where the meat makes contact with the hot grate. I like the idea of 100% surface coverage with the sear. Maybe that's just me, but I love that!

I like the little blast of smoke too but the grill ends up way more work so I normally do pan

Well, how's that for timing? My expensive Weston just let me down! Seals fine but couldn't get a vacuum on my meat when I needed it. Only worked on a test sample after the meat went in, so I pulled meat out and tried again.....no go again. Pissed me off so I just ordered from your link. If they're cheap enough you can almost consider them disposable.

I like the little blast of smoke too but the grill ends up way more work so I normally do pan

No kidding! We have a killer vent hood, but still have to open windows sometimes. But I like good food, so.....

The slow n sear is a fantastic add on if you have a weber kettle grill. Super hot searing for finishing traditional sous vide and redneck sous vide, plus the ability to do low and slow bbq. Highly recommended

I do have a Weber kettle, actually! As BringBackFergy for a funny story about it.

That slow n sear is very cool!!

Here's a good sous vide primer along with some suggested first recipes. Steak has to be first.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

this was a cool site, thank you for posting. Trying the chicken breast recipe tonight!

BTW, says you can't make a pan sauce with no fond...but should be some after the sear in a metal skillet no?..or at least that is what i am hoping for!

Not using cast iron as mine are practically non-stick at this point

Edited by plenzmd1

I'd think you'd have the fond you need after searing. Makes sense, right? Maybe not quite as much. I'm curious to hear how the chicken goes. Haven't done that yet.

My wife had events to attend last night so it's my chance to do the things she doesn't like (scallops, porch chops, etc.) that I do like. I did a couple thick bone in porch chops (they sell in pkgs of 2) and just finished searing as she ran in the house to change. She was starving so she cut off half of a chop. "Oh, this is really good!" I think she had been turned off by dry chops in the past. I may have have gotten them back on the OK list. :)

I'd think you'd have the fond you need after searing. Makes sense, right? Maybe not quite as much. I'm curious to hear how the chicken goes. Haven't done that yet.

My wife had events to attend last night so it's my chance to do the things she doesn't like (scallops, porch chops, etc.) that I do like. I did a couple thick bone in porch chops (they sell in pkgs of 2) and just finished searing as she ran in the house to change. She was starving so she cut off half of a chop. "Oh, this is really good!" I think she had been turned off by dry chops in the past. I may have have gotten them back on the OK list. :)

my better half hated pork too and now she asks for it.

I tried pork tenderloin in the sous vide for the first time last night. I poked holes and stuffed garlic into one of the loins and just salted and peppered it. the other loin was rubbed with dinosaur bbq Cajun foreplay. Both came out perfectly cooked and slightly pink. (I cooked at 140 for 1 hour) The only complaint is that the garlic was still raw when the meat was done. Next time I will roast the garlic a little before inserting it into the loin. Has anyone tried any of those pre-marinated pork tenderloins? I know they aren't ideal as far as quality and ingredients, but it would make it really simple to just grab one at the grocery store and throw it in the tank. They are already vacuum sealed too.

Not using cast iron as mine are practically non-stick at this point

My kitchen was a graveyard to cooking pans for years until I got a cast iron skillet. It's almost as involved in my cooking as my knives. Get one on your Christmas list. Lodge is the name you're looking for, but wifey got me one with Bobby Flay's name on it on sale at Kohls about 5 years ago and it's every bit as as solid as the person who could take Giada from her husband.

My kitchen was a graveyard to cooking pans for years until I got a cast iron skillet. It's almost as involved in my cooking as my knives. Get one on your Christmas list. Lodge is the name you're looking for, but wifey got me one with Bobby Flay's name on it on sale at Kohls about 5 years ago and it's every bit as as solid as the person who could take Giada from her husband.

Yes, cast iron is essential IMO. My wife hated my growing cast iron collection initially, but now she has seen the light. I used to use flaxseed oil for seasoning, but recently switched to crisbee, it's great stuff.

Here's another great article from Serious Eats on cast iron and its benefits.

As far as retaining heat goes, nothing beats a good, thick cast iron pan. Its density means that it takes a long time to heat up—I give mine a good 5 to 7 minutes on the fire—and doesn't cool down very much when you add food to it. So while a thin aluminum pan may drop by as much as 300°F when you add a half-pound rib eye steak to it, a cast iron pan will stick close to its original temperature, delivering a thicker, crisper, more evenly browned crust. Similarly, you can get away with using a little less oil when frying your chicken, since the heat retained by the metal will rapidly reheat the oil as soon as the chicken cools it down.

i have two 12 inch Lodge and 1 10 inch Lodge Cast Iron....all between 12 and 6 years of use. Problem is they are now almost non-stick, so if i want to get fond from the chicken when i do the skin, the cast iron won't work as well as a regular metal skillet!

Edited by plenzmd1

i have two 12 inch Lodge and 1 10 inch Lodge Cast Iron....all between 12 and 6 years of use. Problem is they are now almost non-stick, so if i want to get fond from the chicken when i do the skin, the cast iron won't work as well as a regular metal skillet!

would a good soapy scrub on one of the pans and a re-seasoning make it better for dishes that required a less slick surface? not sure if you would want to do that, and I have never had to scrub and start over with my cast iron, but it seems that might be a good option. One well seasoned "non-stick" pan and one with more stick to it.

would a good soapy scrub on one of the pans and a re-seasoning make it better for dishes that required a less slick surface? not sure if you would want to do that, and I have never had to scrub and start over with my cast iron, but it seems that might be a good option. One well seasoned "non-stick" pan and one with more stick to it.

that is an idea, especially if i am going things sous vide but where i still want a pan sauce. But damn, i am so freaking happy and proud of cast irons...always joke with my kids that the one i like better will get them in the will!