Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

That was the best yet, for me.  Damn those were some awesome chops!

I love a great chop! It’s on the long list of things my wife doesn’t care for. I make those things when she is away, which is most of the time these days.....then I am often too lazy to cook for one. Tonight the plan was seared sea scallops (also on the yucky list) with a honey-lime vinaigrette over mixed greens with farmers market tomatoes,  toasted almond slivers and mandarins oranges. When the time came, deep dish bagel bite style crap just seemed like the way to go........maybe tomorrow? 

Glad it was awesome for you! 

17 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

He's having some issues with his choppers. 

Are they made of wood? He’s about the same age as George Washington, but I doubt he’d have been as honest about chopping down a lousy tree. 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Are they made of wood? He’s about the same age as George Washington, but I doubt he’d have been as honest about chopping down a lousy tree. 

@plenzmd1 has ivory dentures. Woolly mammoths were rare when he got his.

come to think of it, he does resemble a caveman...

Edited by Cripple Creek

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

Did @plenzmd1 sell his at a garage sale?  Dude made a roast three years ago and we haven't heard from him since!

oh brother..you may have even had some of my sous vide at a tailgate. I now do a lot of things sous vide, put em in the fridge overnight, then smoke em for 3 hours. Great BBQ, not near the pain in the butt of a 9 hour smoke! And 1-2 inches thick center cut pork chops in the bath for 75 minuted followed by a sear on a chimney starter is awesome!

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

@plenzmd1 has ivory dentures. Woolly mammoths were rare when he got his.

come to think of it, he does resemble a caveman...

least i got me some teeth ya old fart. There is a Reason they call it a tooth ( singular)brush in Ohio

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

oh brother..you may have even had some of my sous vide at a tailgate. I now do a lot of things sous vide, put em in the fridge overnight, then smoke em for 3 hours. Great BBQ, not near the pain in the butt of a 9 hour smoke! And 1-2 inches thick center cut pork chops in the bath for 75 minuted followed by a sear on a chimney starter is awesome!

least i got me some teeth ya old fart. There is a Reason they call it a tooth ( singular)brush in Ohio

So far, pork is bu far my favorite sous vide meat! Delectable! I like the beef too, but I seem to never get it quite right trying to please everyone else. I need to give chicken another go, and stay away from tacky textured breasts.

17 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

So far, pork is bu far my favorite sous vide meat! Delectable! I like the beef too, but I seem to never get it quite right trying to please everyone else. I need to give chicken another go, and stay away from tacky textured breasts.

Pork tenderloins might be my favorite of what I've done in the sous vide.  I've yet to try something even remotely complicated and stick to the stuff that takes 1-2 hours.  So it'll be some sort of marinated tenderloin and it always turns out great.

2 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I did a corned beef a few weeks ago, while it did take 48 hours, I was absolutely amazed that corned beef could come out not stringy when you cut it.

48 hours?  At what temp?

Edited by Gugny

• 4 months later...

After a recent success at sous vide "que" and some amazing pork ribs I decided to take on beef next. 

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/sous-vide-que-smoked-st-louis-spare-ribs-recipe

I found an American Wagyu chuck roast at my local super market.  Its rubbed down and sitting in the fridge to take on as much flavor as it can get.  Going in the bath for ~36 hours for sunday night dinner.  Anyone tried this?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-smoked-barbecue-bbq-beef-chuck-recipe.html

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

After a recent success at sous vide "que" and some amazing pork ribs I decided to take on beef next. 

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-ribs-recipes/sous-vide-que-smoked-st-louis-spare-ribs-recipe

I found an American Wagyu chuck roast at my local super market.  Its rubbed down and sitting in the fridge to take on as much flavor as it can get.  Going in the bath for ~36 hours for sunday night dinner.  Anyone tried this?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-smoked-barbecue-bbq-beef-chuck-recipe.html

The chuck looks amazing.  But why wouldn't you just smoke it from the get go?

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The chuck looks amazing.  But why wouldn't you just smoke it from the get go?

Because I live in an apartment and no longer have a smoker or any place to keep one.  So sous vide "que" it is.  I would much rather toss this beef or a rack of pork ribs on my old crappy smoker.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Because I live in an apartment and no longer have a smoker or any place to keep one.  So sous vide "que" it is.  I would much rather toss this beef or a rack of pork ribs on my old crappy smoker.

Gotcha.  If this method can achieve the gorgeous bark in the picture, then all's well that ends well!!

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Gotcha.  If this method can achieve the gorgeous bark in the picture, then all's well that ends well!!

Thats the challenge but can be done in a hot oven.  You also lose some of the soul that comes from smoking over hardwood.  I'll likely be using the end product for sandwiches I think.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Thats the challenge but can be done in a hot oven.  You also lose some of the soul that comes from smoking over hardwood.  I'll likely be using the end product for sandwiches I think.

I'm sure it'll be fantastic.