Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

we do a tenderloin for Christmas( i like a standing rib roast much better) , and I did it last year sous vide, this year reverse sear method from Serious Eats. Salted for 24 hrs, 200 degree oven till 127( about 2 20):, rest for 15 minutes, then under a broiler with shallot, thyme, butter mixture.

It was freaking perfect! Perfectly red from edge to edge, but a better crust post sear. As serious eats even says, the dry roasting of the oven just lets a better crust develop.

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Sous vide tenderloin that I finished off with a nice peppercorn sauce, mushrooms and scallops.  Probably the best meal I've ever made that didn't use a grill/smoker.

I'm about to pull out a tri-tip that's been in the bath since yesterday morning. Went 130 degrees for 33 hours. Will try to post photos tomorrow.

So I sou vide steak for the first time for a few friends and I got a weird response.

So I told them in advance what I was doing.

After eating it, one guy complained that his steak was bland. He said that he doesn't like boiled steak and that the flavor was gone.

He thought I just stuck the meat in a pot of boiling water. (Yes I seared it after, perfect medium to medium rare doneness)

Do we really taste food? Or is it just what our brains tells us what it should taste like...

Edited by unbillievable

4 hours ago, unbillievable said:

So I sou vide steak for the first time for a few friends and I got a weird response.

So I told them in advance what I was doing.

After eating it, one guy complained that his steak was bland. He said that he doesn't like boiled steak and that the flavor was gone.

He thought I just stuck the meat in a pot of boiling water. (Yes I seared it after, perfect medium to medium rare doneness)

Do we really taste food? Or is it just what our brains tells us what it should taste like...

Ive had 1-2 people that are stubbornly against it without understanding it and given similar feedback when they knew I used it. They raced when they didn’t know. 

Some people just want to be “that guy” 

10 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I'm about to pull out a tri-tip that's been in the bath since yesterday morning. Went 130 degrees for 33 hours. Will try to post photos tomorrow.

You’ll finish it off on the grill? Did you trim more of the fat cap than you normally would w tritip?

Edited by Cripple Creek

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

You’ll finish it off on the grill? Did you trim more of the fat cap than you normally would w tritip?

hey, i want some of that tenderloin..i am in Granville!!!

i love tri tip, just so damn expensive in Richmond VA

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

hey, i want some of that tenderloin..i am in Granville!!!

i love tri tip, just so damn expensive in Richmond VA

Damn, you should have come over. Could have been a romantic dinner!

Meanwhile pics are too big. How can I "reduce" the size so it fits? (iphone)

Edited by Cripple Creek

Found this recently and thought it was very cool.

For those mentioning the strange texture of sous vide chicken, I've found the best results with a brine for 1-2 hours right before you drop it in the pot, and then cooking at exactly 146, where it will retain all its moisture and still give you a mostly traditional texture.

If you're looking for any new seasonings to mess with, I'm developing an addiction to this one.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I typically finish it off on the grill, but it's been raining like crazy here so I go to a cast iron skillet in the oven on broil for about 30 minutes, put meat in the skillet, back in the oven for a minute, then out of the oven to the stove top, flame on high, flip meat, hunk of butter, basting for a minute or so. 

The best tri-tip is at Costco, and they trim the fat cap, which is okay for me because I trim it down some when I get it from the butcher otherwise.

6 hours ago, unbillievable said:

This is the guy who tells you that if X and Y didn't happen, the Bills would have never been lucky enough to win that game.

Unless you didn't vacuum seal the meat before the bath, of if the seal broke and the meat was literally in a bag of hot water, then you're friend is just picking a side. Sous vide doesn't remove flavor.

Assuming you find it in your heart to make him another steak, next time try Hardcore Carnivore Black before it goes on the grill. Provides a nice flavor boost while giving a nice blackened crust.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:10 AM, Augie said:

I suppose that would be up there with "loin" on the list of good guesses. There is a very limited list of "word clues". :)

Folks - saw this with great timing as doing first sous vide this weekend.  Thanks for all the tips, tricks and resources in this thread.

17 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Folks - saw this with great timing as doing first sous vide this weekend.  Thanks for all the tips, tricks and resources in this thread.

Good for you! What are you making?

My Anova just crapped out and I had to replace it. I’m glad the old one died when it was just me and the wife. (It wouldn’t turn on, and then when it did it wouldn’t hold temp well.)  I often use it for large crowds to make things more manageable getting the whole meal together. It’s not only a great way to cook, but it simplifies things as you don’t need precise timing at all. 

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Bump.

I am sous viding two huge, thick sirloins today. Thank yo to whomever started this thread!!!!

That would be @plenzmd1, way back when he was still..................old. 

But thank you indeed! 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/5/2019 at 5:34 AM, BuffaloBill said:

This may be the longest living on again, off again, thread.

Boneless Pork Chops tonight. I love sous vide because I can be more careful with my sides, and save the sear till last! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Did @plenzmd1 sell his at a garage sale?  Dude made a roast three years ago and we haven't heard from him since!

I think he’s gone vegan. He said something about an awesome recipe for carrots. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Boneless Pork Chops tonight. I love sous vide because I can be more careful with my sides, and save the sear till last! 

That was the best yet, for me.  Damn those were some awesome chops!

• Like (+1) 1