I would really like to know robey/gronk

Thanks for that.

Bad play. Higher awareness from the safety could have made a difference.

Perhaps, but only if he abandoned his responsibility on the play. The safety that I think you're referring to is Blanton, but as soon as the check happens, his responsibility is man coverage on Edelman. It looks like Preston has man coverage on Edelman, but that's only because his zone drop requires him to cover the middle hook route--Blanton actually has Edelman, which is why he drove to the outside shoulder when Edelman broke his route outside.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was bad, but even worse, they had just a single LB on him later in the game.

I think it was the one were Gronk actually made a great catch but was OB, the LB

might have been Spikes who was a good 5 yards behind him!

I was at the game and yes, it was Spikes! I couldn't believe it. Spikes covering Gronk?!?! I mean, I like the guy, but coverage is not his forte!

thats what the replay showed, Meeks biting in Edelman which left no support deep.

Yes that is what happened... Whether man was called or not, there were 2 men covering Edelman because of Meeks biting underneath on him. He would have been available to help deep middle with Gronk, which explains NRC playing leverage from the wrong side. NRC just didn't throw his hands up in the air like Gilmore had earlier when Meeks (or whoever that safety was there ) blew help coverage.

Edited by 34-78-83

Yes that is what happened... Whether man was called or not, there were 2 men covering Edelman because of Meeks biting underneath on him. He would have been available to help deep middle with Gronk, which explains NRC playing leverage from the wrong side. NRC just didn't throw his hands up in the air like Gilmore had earlier when Meeks (or whoever that safety was there ) blew help coverage.

I know it looks that way, but looks--in this case--are deceiving.

I posted the coverage, which started as a Cloud call. When White clears the backfield, they checked RAT (which is man coverage in the secondary with the LBs dropping into the medium zones).

It was actually Blanton, not Meeks, and he didn't bite on anything. He was in man coverage on Edelman; it looks like he's doubling him because Zach's zone drop takes him into the path of Edelman's inside shoulder, but there's a reason that Zach stays square to the QB and doesn't chase Edelman outside.

Blanton had his responsibilities correct--actually, everyone did. Bad protocol to check to man there--blame goes to the coaches.

The check was to man coverage.

NRC got beat, plain and simple

Your right. Just re-watched the clip. It's man. Not sure why they would do that. It's a mismatch for Gronk no matter who's on him basically.

Edited by vincec