I would really like to know robey/gronk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the idea there is that with Nicoles quickness and anticipation hes supposed to knock the ball down. With Bradys ability to throw into to perfect window, it did not work.

Nobody wants Robey trying to tackle Gronk

How in the heck did Robey end up in single coverage with Gronk in the middle of the field on that touchdown

I mean....I know Brady might be the best ever.....but how does that even happen

That was bad, but even worse, they had just a single LB on him later in the game.

I think it was the one were Gronk actually made a great catch but was OB, the LB

might have been Spikes who was a good 5 yards behind him!

How in the heck did Robey end up in single coverage with Gronk in the middle of the field on that touchdown

John, It's what NE does. They have many, many plays where Brady has several options to choose. And with Brady being a speed - reader of

defenses, he see the single coverage and the ball comes out quickly. Often times he's figured out the coverage during the pre snap.. It's frustrating as all _ _ _ _. Hope this helped.

I believe it was a "Rat Check" from a different defensive call.

I remember watching it in real time and seeing each defender make the same call, which made me believe they checked "rat", which places each defender in man coverage against the closest eligible receiver.

I'll see if I can find the page out of Rex's playbook...

EDIT: found it...

Edited by thebandit27

All-22 can confirm but my guess would be excellent offensive scheming by McDaniels. Seattle will try the same with Jimmy Graham.

I'd say All-22 reveals a safety jumping an underneath route, allowing Gronk to go 1:1 with NRC.

I believe it was a "Rat Check" from a different defensive call.

I remember watching it in real time and seeing each defender make the same call, which made me believe they checked "rat", which places each defender in man coverage against the closest eligible receiver.

I'll see if I can find the page out of Rex's playbook...

Also a distinct possibility.

See the thread I started regarding the systemic breakdown in D communication yesterday, as reported by Corey Graham in his post-game interview.

He suggested every big play NE had was the result of communication breakdown, with one side of our D playing one defense and the other side of the field playing another, etc.

All the product of an excellent coaching staff which is clearly on top of things, much as Bill B. and the Patriots usually are.

See the clip below--when NE went empty, Buffalo checked to RAT, which is man-up

I'm willing to bet on it.

I knew the coverage and I saw the check and coverage called. It was... hilarious. This is the offense simply doing what it needs to against a bad d scheme. Tom Brady sees us call single man coverage and knows Meeks is **** so he had options.

Needless to say, at no time do we need to go nickel with Robey on Gronk or any other nickel either. We need a LB on him jamming and on him like Lawson used to and a safety over top of him. He's the only one that will ever beat us deep because of his seam routes

I dont think Ive ever seen a team try to "assign" defenders to Patriot players yet. And at this point, what does anyone have to lose?

For example, "No matter where Edleman lines up, if he is on the field then Robey is on the field and assigned to cover him. No matter where Gronk lines up, AWilliams is on the field and assigned to cover him".

(AWilliams is just an example since we dont really have anyone close to being able to match up on Gronk. And given how long hes been in the league, I cant believe we havent brought someone in for just that reason. Heck we carry 8 kickers for every scenario, we should be able to justify a Safety/LB/Hybrid for covering our Division Champ's biggest weapon)

I knew the coverage and I saw the check and coverage called. It was... hilarious. This is the offense simply doing what it needs to against a bad d scheme. Tom Brady sees us call single man coverage and knows Meeks is **** so he had options.

Needless to say, at no time do we need to go nickel with Robey on Gronk or any other nickel either. We need a LB on him jamming and on him like Lawson used to and a safety over top of him. He's the only one that will ever beat us deep because of his seam routes

Part 2 of my scheme proposal above! No matter where he is, line up a LB in his face and make sure he cant come of the line clean.

That was bad, but even worse, they had just a single LB on him later in the game.

I think it was the one were Gronk actually made a great catch but was OB, the LB

might have been Spikes who was a good 5 yards behind him!

Well, you can do a lot of things when your top "shutdown corner" asks to be left alone on an island with their best receiver. On the other hand, we have Stephon Gilmore whining about the lack of safety help when asked to cover ... Chris Hogan.

I dont think Ive ever seen a team try to "assign" defenders to Patriot players yet. And at this point, what does anyone have to lose?

For example, "No matter where Edleman lines up, if he is on the field then Robey is on the field and assigned to cover him. No matter where Gronk lines up, AWilliams is on the field and assigned to cover him".

(AWilliams is just an example since we dont really have anyone close to being able to match up on Gronk. And given how long hes been in the league, I cant believe we havent brought someone in for just that reason. Heck we carry 8 kickers for every scenario, we should be able to justify a Safety/LB/Hybrid for covering our Division Champ's biggest weapon)

Manny Lawson was decent at it. George Wilson would have been fine. Daron lee was undersized but gronk is why I wanted him. If you can get a good linebacker in coverage you'll fair better than having a good linebacker in pass rush. They're a lot harder to find and anyone can rush the passer.

A nickelback should be able to cover a tight end one on one.

I'm beginning to think this Gronkowski is some kind of freakish athlete.

Not sure if you're referring to Nickelback doing the covering, or someone covering Nickelback, but either way, we all lose.