I'd be pissed if I were Marcell Dareus' teammate

Estro

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in a business where if I don't sell I make nothing. I wish teams paid everyone this way. From the GM on down. I guarantee you everyone would be a lot more focused.

ADHD!

If there's one profession in which hyperactivity is typically rewarded, it is "defensive lineman." How many times have we heard the "he's got a great motor" line from coaches?

I will be forever upset that (1) Andrew Luck stayed in college, leaving Cam to Carolina (2) Von Miller went #2 and (3) we took Dareus instead of AJ green or Patrick Petersen.

Dareus is a great player but DTs don't change games like the other players mentioned and he's had the off field issues

100% with you my brother

If Dareus gets suspended he doesn't get paid, what's the issue?

And as a team player they want him back because he helps the team tremendously

And how's Luck been doing?

Doesnt matter. He was saying that if Luck came out cam would have slid to us at 3

I know this topic has been discussed, but I wanted to point out how disappointed fans, coaches and players have the right to be in Marcell Dareus. He's a superb player, but his antics and behavior off the field are a real source of concern to me:

Since his extension which paid him over $25M in cash last year and over $15M in cash this year he has been a total disappointment.

1 - Last year he had 2 sacks. That's by far the worst of his career (5.5, 5.5, 7.5, 10, 2).

2 - Takes a banned substance (maybe ADHD, maybe pot) that costs him the first 4 games of this season.

3 - We find out the Bills front office didn't protect themselves financially from massive contract guarantees if Dareus gets suspended, which has happened before. An indictment on the front office here.

4 - Team isn't shy about getting word out that Dareus is going to rehab, only to find out weeks later there was no rehab at all, unless you consider visiting Bruce Smith rehab. Just an odd thing to put out there and then have not happen. Makes me wonder if Dareus kind of "blew off" the PR stunt.

5 - In his first week of practice after week 4 he severely pulls his hamstring costing him the next 2 games and at this point it's looking like possibly more

2) ADHD is not a banned substance, it's a psychiatric diagnosis.

3) I think there's misunderstanding of the information here. It is standard that if a player is suspended, he forfeits a per-game share of that year's pro-rated bonus and salary, whether it's guaranteed or not. What has been said is that the Bills did not protect themselves from paying him FUTURE salary or recouping pro-rated bonus charged against future years cap, due to his being suspended now - in other words we can't cut him and get a refund or get out of next year's guaranteed dough.

But if he slips up again and is suspended for 10 games or a season, he gets to pay back 10/16 or all of the pro-rated bonus charged against the cap that year, and he gets none of his salary.

I realize that this is no consolation to the "cut his ass now" or "trade his ass now" crowd, but it's not exactly the front office indictment one might think. Agents don't like guaranteed money that isn't, well, guaranteed.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

3) I think there's misunderstanding of the information here. It is standard that if a player is suspended, he forfeits a per-game share of that year's pro-rated bonus and salary, whether it's guaranteed or not. What has been said is that the Bills did not protect themselves from paying him FUTURE salary or recouping pro-rated bonus charged against future years cap, due to his being suspended now - in other words we can't cut him and get a refund or get out of next year's guaranteed dough.

But if he slips up again and is suspended for 10 games or a season, he gets to pay back 10/16 or all of the pro-rated bonus charged against the cap that year, and he gets none of his salary.

I realize that this is no consolation to the "cut his ass now" or "trade his ass now" crowd, but it's not exactly the front office indictment one might think. Agents don't like guaranteed money that isn't, well, guaranteed.

What agents like is sorta irrelevant when Dareus is the only player I know with that kind of contract.

What agents like is sorta irrelevant when Dareus is the only player I know with that kind of contract.

Because you're privy to the details of the contract of every other football player? Somehow I do sincerely doubt this. I also doubt you know Dareus.

Most star players have pretty favorable contracts with no-trade clauses and injury guarantees, and guaranteed money is just that: guaranteed. The league penalizes players who are suspended by requiring them to pay back their bonus and forfeit game checks.

Please don't mistake, I'm not a fan of Dareus behavior right now and I think there is legit criticism of our FO on a number of recent contracts and issues. I just don't like people making unsubstantiated claims to criticize.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I will be forever upset that (1) Andrew Luck stayed in college, leaving Cam to Carolina (2) Von Miller went #2 and (3) we took Dareus instead of AJ green or Patrick Petersen.

Dareus is a great player but DTs don't change games like the other players mentioned and he's had the off field issues

This pretty much sums it up!

If I were Marcel's teammate, I'd be making more money. Its also quite likely that I'd be black based on the percentages. I'd definitely be a lot bigger and probably faster. And after my career ended from a string of brain injuries I'd still probably start better threads than the OP.

ouch.

Because you're privy to the details of the contract of every other football player? Somehow I do sincerely doubt this. I also doubt you know Dareus.

Most star players have pretty favorable contracts with no-trade clauses and injury guarantees, and guaranteed money is just that: guaranteed. The league penalizes players who are suspended by requiring them to pay back their bonus and forfeit game checks.

Please don't mistake, I'm not a fan of Dareus behavior right now and I think there is legit criticism of our FO on a number of recent contracts and issues. I just don't like people making unsubstantiated claims to criticize.

It's has been reported to be a very rare contract/language in the NFL. I don't need to know Dareus.

Your claims are the ones unsubstantiated.

Edited by jmc12290

I did not know that. Thank you !!

I would be disappointed if I was his teammates

I would also. And i am really disappointed about Dareus

But they are conditioned for having a player down.

And it seems his team has stepped up their game, Coaching included.

and thats what really matters here I think.

i love reading this sentence completely out of context. it's kind of hilarious.

Thats his awesome humor at work !

I chuckled