What Happens When You Actually Draft a QB Every Year

Tenhigh

Looking at the league there are a few ways to get a franchise qb

Luck ; Tom Brady in round 6 , Arron Rodgers slipping all the way down to the teens, or Wilson in round three. You can say good drafting but after 15 teams pass on a qb then there is a good amount of luck involved .

All in ; The Eli manning type of trades , we saw two this year. This doesn't guarantee you anything . Rg3 was on of the all in guys, Goff can't get on the field . Looked goofy to me in the HBO show.

Reclamation projects; As luck will have it you might get a couple of those this year, Jay cutler comes to mind

You just plain suck and pick number one in a year there is a franchise qb is available . There is that work again Luck.

I am fine with the all in , but if you screw it up you have a mess for 3 years. At this point if they find a guy they love do it .

I am fine with reclamation projects but expect failure, but lets face it you have nothing to lose most years.

Taking one every year in rounds 4-7 seems like a no brainer. Find one that has a dominant skill, Smart, athletic or monster arm and try to develop the rest. Heck Jones appears to hit the box on all three . He needs tons of training , practice, experience, maybe they will get lucky . There is that word again

Ah Luck it has to changed one day , doesn't it ?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are more than a handful no? All these guys may not be great...but looks like 1/4 of the league there...only one that may be bad is Osweiler

Wilson

Dalton

Carr

Osweiler

Siemian

Brady

Cousins

Prescott

Most of these guys are better QB than I think Tyrod will be based on his play so far.

What about Cardale? He might look like a QB.

IDK he lost his starting job at OSU in his senior year, He strikes me as a guy that will drive you crazy his entire career, some good games them some awful ones with bonehead decisions. I hope I am completely wrong but that is my intial impression

No No No. You miss the point, I didn't want the Bills to pick the bad quarterback, I wanted them to pick the good quarterback. "I knew" we should have drafted Dak Prescott and Russel Wilson and to pass on the bums you mentioned. I said so right at the time. I looked at my cousin Cletus and said "Wilson fell to us, we got to pick him" and Cletus said "yup". So if Clete and I knew how could Whaley not have known. Only the Bills would allow him to get to the 3rd round. What do you mean that every other team in football had to pass on him to get to the 3rd round???

I say fire Whaley and hire Cletus>

Dont lie

• Eyeroll 1

IDK he lost his starting job at OSU in his senior year, He strikes me as a guy that will drive you crazy his entire career, some good games them some awful ones with bonehead decisions. I hope I am completely wrong but that is my intial impression

IIRC he lost his job because he isn't a traditional Urban Meyer system QB and he wasn't even recruited by Meyer. He doesn't fit that system very well, but he looked tailor made for an offense predicated on the run & play-action fakes in his CFB playoff run.

IIRC he lost his job because he isn't a traditional Urban Meyer system QB and he wasn't even recruited by Meyer. He doesn't fit that system very well, but he looked tailor made for an offense predicated on the run & play-action fakes in his CFB playoff run.

He threw two INT's against Northern Illinois, my recollection of his pre-draft assessments were that, and I paraphrase, he might be worth a look in a down year for QB crop. Hey, I really hope you are right about that but other than Russell Wilson a lot of those running QB's don't have a lot of sustained success in the NFL. Even Cam Newton has been up and down.

The real problem with drafting a QB in the first few rounds every year is you never have enough time to evaluate them. Some never play in games. Some never get reps during the season. You have to keep three QBs on your active roster. You have to cut one high pick every year to have a spot for the new high pick. You are almost begging for QB controversies unless one guy is way, way better than everyone else in an extremely short period of time with three guys splitting reps like in last year's camp, and you end up like the Jets.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

So I got tired of reading the Tyrod sucks thread that Yeesus created to melt this place to the ground (27 PAGES!?!?). The prevailing wisdom of some folks on this board is that we should draft a QB EVERY year until we hit on one. So I went back to all of the Bills' drafts since Whaley entered the organization to see what that would look like if we drafted a QB in the first round instead of our actual first rounder. The results are below, and should be eye opening for the folks who say QB every year.

Year QB Available at Bills Draft Position Player Actually Drafted

2016 Paxton Lynch Shaq Lawson

2015 Garret Grayson One of 7 first rounders given up for Sammy

2014 Johnny Football Sammy Watkins

2013 EJ EJ Manuel

2012 Brandon Weedon Stephon Gilmore

2011 Jake Locker (or Gabbert) Marcel Darius

2010 Tim Tebow CJ Spiller

This is funny, but I think it misrepresents the position of some - for example, I don't think the position is "we should draft a 1st round QB every year until we hit on one". Excluding Tom Brady as a statistical anomoly in the 6th round, it is a fact that several teams have made the playoffs consistently with a QB drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round.

It's a fact that since 1999, the Bills have used a total of 5 draft picks on a QB, 2 1st round (2004 and 2013), a 3rd a 4th and a 7th. For a team without an established starting QB, I don't think there can any be any argument this is insufficient investment in the position.

I'm not part of the "every year" crowd, but it's a fact that some of the more successful teams who HAVE an established QB have used almost twice as many picks on QB as we have. I think every 2-3 years is about right.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Your lists are poorly constructed and representative of nothing, other than your own desire to prove your point.

Try harder next time.

At least he tries to present something substantive. I see you went in the other direction successfully...

That seems like a poor model to base anything off of. Especially when Bridgewater/Carr could've been the pick in 2014, Wilson in 2012, Dalton in 2011, etc etc. all picked after the Bills and would've painted a much different picture.

Incorrect, you cannot draft based on hindsight, you look at the next guy who went and realize this was the next guy up on most people's boards.

So if we discard the notion of using a FIRST round pick every year for QB, the question underpinning the idea of continually attempting to find a QB is:

1) At what point in the development process do you 'know'

2) is it a fact that a potential talent can be ruined by starting them too soon, or does it merely accelerate the discovery process

3) does the need to Even entertain the idea cause a fundamental hole in the selection process that will never be overcome by pushing through volume?

At least he tries to present something substantive. I see you went in the other direction successfully...

Incorrect, you cannot draft based on hindsight, you look at the next guy who went and realize this was the next guy up on most people's boards.

Unless you are the jets and throw a curveball like hackenberg in the 2nd round. :lol:

Unless you are the jets and throw a curveball like hackenberg in the 2nd round. :lol:

Well yeah, I guess you could put Geno instead of EJ because he seemed like the consensus top QB in that draft, but some teams will always go their own weird way.

He threw two INT's against Northern Illinois, my recollection of his pre-draft assessments were that, and I paraphrase, he might be worth a look in a down year for QB crop. Hey, I really hope you are right about that but other than Russell Wilson a lot of those running QB's don't have a lot of sustained success in the NFL. Even Cam Newton has been up and down.

Cardale Jones is NOT a running QB.

The real problem with drafting a QB in the first few rounds every year is you never have enough time to evaluate them. Some never play in games. Some never get reps during the season. You have to keep three QBs on your active roster. You have to cut one high pick every year to have a spot for the new high pick. You are almost begging for QB controversies unless one guy is way, way better than everyone else in an extremely short period of time with three guys splitting reps like in last year's camp, and you end up like the Jets.

Well, there IS that.....