Gay to PS? why is he eligible? Why not Morgan?

eSJayDee

Surprised that Gay would be eligible for Practice Squad. Hasn't he been w/ us for portions of 2 yrs? I would've thought him being on the active roster for as many games as he was would've precluded it.

Also, if you want to develop/stash a kicker, I would think that Morgan (guy we released ~1 month ago) would be a better choice. There were some reports that he was outkicking Carpenter. Seems like he'd be a prime candidate to develop. Gay, OTOH, although possessing a strong leg, has been around long enough if he hasn't adequately improved his accuracy/consistency, he likely never will.

Surprised that Gay would be eligible for Practice Squad. Hasn't he been w/ us for portions of 2 yrs? I would've thought him being on the active roster for as many games as he was would've precluded it.

Also, if you want to develop/stash a kicker, I would think that Morgan (guy we released ~1 month ago) would be a better choice. There were some reports that he was outkicking Carpenter. Seems like he'd be a prime candidate to develop. Gay, OTOH, although possessing a strong leg, has been around long enough if he hasn't adequately improved his accuracy/consistency, he likely never will.

Probably to use him during special team drills so Carpenter doesn't have to kick often during the week

Probably to use him during special team drills so Carpenter doesn't have to kick often during the week

Interesting explanation and you may very well be right.

But it does seem like an odd way to spend a valuable resource (a PS slot).

And I think the OP is probably right about Gay. If he hasn't gotten his accuracy up to NFL level by now, he probably never will.

On the other hand, seeing Dez Lewis signed to the practice squad is no surprise with the Bills only carrying 5 WRs.