Another officer shot...

mrags

yeah, now multiply that by about 1.1 million officers in the country.

Policing is a local thing in this country. I am sure a department can spare 2k cop. Just set up more speed traps.

Set up Fed grants like they do with other stuff.

Many people beating the door down for these jobs, they will take the one time pay cut if they want job bad enough. Some get 100% health, full pension.

...Start putting financial skin in the game when it comes to health, retirement, etc... It might weed out the bad apples, warrior mentality.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a live stream of the incident. We were all there.

If the officer is that scared handling a routine traffic stop knowing that anybody could be armed in this day and age... Then he is in the wrong job. Who is in control of that traffic stop?

Then blame FaceBook... That live stream was the "media outlet."

Is FB now part of the "media conspiracy?"

yes

yeah, now multiply that by about 1.1 million officers in the country.

What are the realistic chances of securing Federal spending to get this done? I'd imagine that the net spend on policing is already pretty high per annum.

It seems like it would be a big step forward for the police force and it might save millions in lawsuits and investigations in the long run.

The Fed just spent a couple hundred million on a silly fish called Asian carp the last 5 years.

Well give them badges then. Who wouldn't obey rather than getting slapped in the head by a fish.

What are the realistic chances of securing Federal spending to get this done? I'd imagine that the net spend on policing is already pretty high per annum.

It seems like it would be a big step forward for the police force and it might save millions in lawsuits and investigations in the long run.

i don't have a clue what the costs would be but this country is already so far into debt, let's just add some more. Why not.

I don't know specifics on the cameras but I heard a recent quote of $5k per camera for the actual equipment and then the storage of the videos. If that's changed or 100% accurate, I cannot knowingly acknowledge.

i don't have a clue what the costs would be but this country is already so far into debt, let's just add some more. Why not.

I don't know specifics on the cameras but I heard a recent quote of $5k per camera for the actual equipment and then the storage of the videos. If that's changed or 100% accurate, I cannot knowingly acknowledge.

Think of the boom for the tech companies!

5k sounds Navy toilet seat... But yet, if it is 5k, it is 5k. Not the end of the world, what is the average salary?

Not being nasty, 5k a year or does that drop yearly? What is an officer's coffeeshop bill for the year?

They can phase it in. How many officer's on shift? We share 1k portable marine radios at work... Not everybody is working all the time... Just swap out the sd card. Get caught messing with it, you are fired.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Think of the boom for the tech companies!

5k sounds Navy toilet seat... But yet, if it is 5k, it is 5k. Not the end of the world, what is the average salary?

Not being nasty, 5k a year or does that drop yearly? What is an officer's coffeeshop bill for the year?

They can phase it in. How many officer's on shift? We share 1k portable marine radios at work... Not everybody is working all the time... Just swap out the sd card. Get caught messing with it, you are fired.

hpw would you like to take a pay cut of $5k a year to help pay for them? On that note, how much a year do you get paid? How about we swap salaries?

That's very Democratic of you to willingly give up $5k of your yearly income to make sure every cop in the country has cameras.

All of this by the way does effect me. As my workplace is being fitted for over 1,600 cameras and microphones to cover every square inch. Of course with our contract being up, I'm going to assume we won't be getting any raises as its a multimillion dollar project.

When was the last time you got a raise? Because in my line of work we dont get 3% a year like many Americans. So essential, without any raise, we lose a significant amount with cost of living increases alone.

hpw would you like to take a pay cut of $5k a year to help pay for them? On that note, how much a year do you get paid? How about we swap salaries?

That's very Democratic of you to willingly give up $5k of your yearly income to make sure every cop in the country has cameras.

Attrition.

I have had my wage frozen for 5 years by the fed as as healthcare I have kicked in has gone up (last 20). Actually, healthcare has finally stablized for me the last couple of years.

The last couple of years we have getting small colas though.

There are many ways to find the small amount of money so an officer can do their job better and we as their customers can monitor them better.

And mrags... You make more than me. Does NYS pay full health too?

You are still a prison guard, right?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yea, at a grand each while still high is at least a somewhat realistic price. (Political corruption aside).

Unaware of any body cameras at a pricepoint of 5K. Absurd.

But if a link is available I would lve to see what makes a body camera sell for 5K?

Yea, at a grand each while still high is at least a somewhat realistic price. (Political corruption aside).

But if a link is available I would lve to see what makes a body camera sell for 5K?

250 every six months for my safety shoes... Sometimes I cut them some slack and go a couple of years.

A few years ago our marine band radios were a grand each... Motorola, programmable police type... They were war horses and built to last... But not forever. We now use Standard Horizon or Icom for 1/10 the cost. Yes, 10 to 1.

And they float, etc...

My guess is police departments and their unions are still mired in the old thinking when it comes to some tech.

I haven't found any true pricing, most manufactures discount the cameras then hit them with the data retention costs. Here's one example....

http://www.dailynews.com/government-and-politics/20150206/police-body-cameras-are-cheap-compared-to-cost-of-storing-all-that-video

Over 10 years ago when I was a contractor with the county, they asked me to look into digital video recorders for the jail, they were still using tapes at the point. I don't remember the exact timeline, but they had to keep recordings for a certain amount of time, maybe a year, in case of any lawsuits. It all came down to which was going to be cheaper, hot swap hard drives or burning to DVDS, in terms of how much storage would be needed per hour of video.

I haven't found any true pricing, most manufactures discount the cameras then hit them with the data retention costs. Here's one example....http://www.dailynews.com/government-and-politics/20150206/police-body-cameras-are-cheap-compared-to-cost-of-storing-all-that-video

Over 10 years ago when I was a contractor with the county, they asked me to look into digital video recorders for the jail, they were still using tapes at the point. I don't remember the exact timeline, but they had to keep recordings for a certain amount of time, maybe a year, in case of any lawsuits. It all came down to which was going to be cheaper, hot swap hard drives or burning to DVDS, in terms of how much storage would be needed per hour of video.

Interesting. I guess if you add in say a couple of employees to log the video, archive, back- up, etc. it can start to get costly.

But the actual cameras and more so even the memory. Doesn't seem to be a huge cost. I bet Nick Woodman ( GO- Pro)could

Do a good job on body cameras for anyone but in particular law enforcement. i am constantly amazed at how cheap memory for

Devices continues to get bigger, better, & cheaper.

Attrition.

I have had my wage frozen for 5 years by the fed as as healthcare I have kicked in has gone up (last 20). Actually, healthcare has finally stablized for me the last couple of years.

The last couple of years we have getting small colas though.

There are many ways to find the small amount of money so an officer can do their job better and we as their customers can monitor them better.

And mrags... You make more than me. Does NYS pay full health too?

You are still a prison guard, right?

i won't bother to ask what you make but NYS DOCCS is hiring. Well gladly take a few good officers. I'm sure you would do just fine. Your welcome to apply.

And we also have seen increases in healthcare as well. I don't have family health with my employer so I can't vouch for what family costs went up but mine certainly did.

It might weed out the bad apples, warrior mentality.

You are a trip!

Yes, warriors are bad. In Dallas, it would have been so much better to see the cops scurrying away from danger like the civilians. Classic example of sheepdogs protecting the flock from the wolf. Only thing is, the sheepdogs weren't immediately aware that the wolf was hunting them, though, instead of the sheep. Bad warriors.