Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ISShockey

NEW RELEASE April Release of the @ISShockey Top 31 Rankings of the top prospects for 2017 NHL Entry Draft: http://iss.tw/2o2KIxQ

C8p45KXUIAEBJTJ.jpg

I'll readily admit my bias here, but I'd be curious about rolling the dice on a guy like Oettinger in the 2nd round. The kid is already a very successful workhorse goalie as a freshman. We haven't had that level of a goalie prospect in the system in ages. And this is completely independent of any other moves in net (signing Cal Peterson). He'll still be a year or two away from leaving BU and you make room for higher tier prospects in net if you have to.

Well, maybe he was serious about coming here. In which case Murray failed to close the deal. Or maybe he never was. Either way, he isn't here.

The word on the street is Babcock wanted Buffalo but his wife wanted Toronto. That's not on the GM or anyone else. You're trying to find places to justify why you don't like Tim Murray. Each "argument" is ridiculous on its own and made even worse when added together.

I will readily admit to not being a hockey expert. That's part of the reason I come here...to learn. And when I asked what to expect and when, it was stated over and over and over again that we would definitely contend for a playoff spot this year. That wasn't something that came close to happening. The Sabres have one of the worst records in hockey and their horrible defense is going even further backwards as their already over the hill players get even older.

The people who told you "over and over again" that the Sabres would contend for a playoff spot also caveated their responses. This team had terrible injury luck this season, starting with major injuries to Eichel and 2 of the top 4 defensemen. No one with half a clue should have expected the Sabres to contend with Bogo and Kulikov each missing over a third of the season. There simply isn't enough organizational depth at this stage of the rebuild to sustain long term losses to those players.

I'm really more comparing a person to another person. Jauron is still regarded as a loser around these parts and clearly seen as more of a loser than alpha male Marrone, dickhead Greggo and even whiny Mularky. Why? His record with what he was given is arguably better than any of them. His roster was terrible. But he was a nice guy so everyone has fun piling on. Murray is a caustic jerkazoid so I guess we can never call him a loser? No thanks. He's a loser. Because he is a douche everyone is afraid to call him a loser?

I'm not willing to call him a loser because what he's done so far is significantly increase the talent in the organization in an appropriate amount of time. He hasn't been perfect but no one is and I don't care if he's nice to the media because the media is retarded.

If I were the Sabres GM I probably wouldn't do that well. I wasn't brought up in a hockey family. I don't have an uncle that can fleece me in trades while pretending to give me advice and I'm not sure how to scout players. I might have accepted that trade to get Fowler on the team or maybe not. One thing I would actually probably do better than Murray is listen to other people. I don't always think I the smartest guy in the room and I don't look down on other people.

One thing I would definitely do better than Murray is holding off on being a gigantic douche bag to everyone I encounter at least until I won something to back it up.

So once again, your entire opinion is because you don't like the guy. Let's bring back Darcy. He was nice to everyone.

Do you think Lehner can ever be consistent enough to be the goalie on a team that wins four playoff series in a row? Sabers or another team? Ever?

I don't. There have been crazy goalies but Lehner seems more like Aaron Hernandez than Ed Belfour.

Nice take, StuckinCincy. You don't like him because he has a neck tattoo. Good for you. The jury is out on Lehner, which is where it would be on any 25 year old goalie at this point in his career.

@TBNSports

Five Things to Know as #Sabres host Habs in home finale. @buffnewsvogl has updates on Okposo, Guhle, McCabe & more: http://bit.ly/2oaAdZx

C8quMa-UIAARLEs.jpg

@BuffaloSabres

Look for lineup changes tonight as we seek to get back in the win column -- game day updates 25b6.pnghttp://bufsabres.co/ngOVQ8

C8qjxyyXYAAt5yy.jpg

Update on Kyle Okposo

Bylsma said he does not expect forward Kyle Okposo to play in any of the team's three remaining games this season. Okposo has been out since last Tuesday due to an illness. Bylsma said team doctors are still working to get more information on his condition.

Projected Lineup

9 Evander Kane - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 12 Brian Gionta
82 Marcus Foligno - 15 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
70 Alexander Nylander - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 63 Tyler Ennis
44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 28 Zemgus Girgensons - 26 Matt Moulson

4 Josh Gorges - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
77 Dmitry Kulikov - 47 Zach Bogosian
41 Justin Falk - 6 Cody Franson

40 Robin Lehner
35 Linus Ullmark

The word on the street is Babcock wanted Buffalo but his wife wanted Toronto. That's not on the GM or anyone else. You're trying to find places to justify why you don't like Tim Murray. Each "argument" is ridiculous on its own and made even worse when added together.

The people who told you "over and over again" that the Sabres would contend for a playoff spot also caveated their responses. This team had terrible injury luck this season, starting with major injuries to Eichel and 2 of the top 4 defensemen. No one with half a clue should have expected the Sabres to contend with Bogo and Kulikov each missing over a third of the season. There simply isn't enough organizational depth at this stage of the rebuild to sustain long term losses to those players.

I'm not willing to call him a loser because what he's done so far is significantly increase the talent in the organization in an appropriate amount of time. He hasn't been perfect but no one is and I don't care if he's nice to the media because the media is retarded.

If I were the Sabres GM I probably wouldn't do that well. I wasn't brought up in a hockey family. I don't have an uncle that can fleece me in trades while pretending to give me advice and I'm not sure how to scout players. I might have accepted that trade to get Fowler on the team or maybe not. One thing I would actually probably do better than Murray is listen to other people. I don't always think I the smartest guy in the room and I don't look down on other people.

So once again, your entire opinion is because you don't like the guy. Let's bring back Darcy. He was nice to everyone.

Nice take, StuckinCincy. You don't like him because he has a neck tattoo. Good for you. The jury is out on Lehner, which is where it would be on any 25 year old goalie at this point in his career.

With respect to the highlighted area many people to the level of consensus felt at the time of the deal that Murray gave up too much for Lehner. That first round pick could have been a top two line player most likely ready to play next year. What made the deal even more questionable was that we already had Chad Johnson who was a solid to good goalie.

At the time of the Lehner deal the Sabres were in a major rebuilding mode. That was the time to add more top two line talent to the system and patiently cultivate that talent.

In general Murray has done a solid job in rebuilding the franchise. I'm not going to skewer an active GM for some of his deals not working out as well as expected. But it is not unreasonable or unfair to say that he made some egregious miscalculations (mostly on the blue line) that has downgraded his performance as a GM.

With respect to the highlighted area many people to the level of consensus felt at the time of the deal that Murray gave up too much for Lehner. That first round pick could have been a top two line player most likely ready to play next year. What made the deal even more questionable was that we already had Chad Johnson who was a solid to good goalie.

At the time of the Lehner deal the Sabres were in a major rebuilding mode. That was the time to add more top two line talent to the system and patiently cultivate that talent.

In general Murray has done a solid job in rebuilding the franchise. I'm not going to skewer an active GM for some of his deals not working out as well as expected. But it is not unreasonable or unfair to say that he made some egregious miscalculations (mostly on the blue line) that has downgraded his performance as a GM.

I don't see where that helps the team though, at least as of today. Those guys wouldn't be here yet and it still does not address the black hole of depth on the blue line. I don't know if it's Fowler specifically, but if they really had to trade that pick it would have been better to spend in on a defenseman.

Hindsight is 20/20, I know.

I don't see where that helps the team though, at least as of today. Those guys wouldn't be here yet and it still does not address the black hole of depth on the blue line. I don't know if it's Fowler specifically, but if they really had to trade that pick it would have been better to spend in on a defenseman.

Hindsight is 20/20, I know.

My criticism of Murray is that the players he acquired for the blue line, even if it was as a stop gap measure, were way beyond their prime to be adequate defenders. Gorges and Franson simply had little left, Kulikov was simply a misjudgment and Bogo is simply a major disappointment. As a unit they are not only not good but collectively they are a liability that has stunted this team.

My position on the Fowler proposed deal is that I am happy that it was not consummated. Nylander is going to be a gem in another two years.

Without a doubt I am disappointed how this season has transpired. My feeling at the beginning of the season was that this was a fringe playoff team. And up until the recent collapse that is exactly what they were.

Our defense certainly can't be upgraded to an elite level next year. But I believe with a few smart moves the unit can be upgraded to the point that it reaches a competent and workmanlike level. The Sabres have a surplus of big body forwards (Foligno, Carrier, Fashing andBailey) that could be used as currency for a deal or two. In addition, the Sabres are adding a Russian from the KLA to the blue line. That would be a positive step forward.

Murray blew through a ton of capital in the way of donking off draft picks. And they dont seem to have much to show for it. Outside of the no-brainer picks of Eichel and Reinhart... and Kane who is kind of a time bomb and is also approaching UFA... we all like OReilly, but there isnt much else to show for it. No depth, and Rochester is pretty much a wasteland. A couple guys in the pipeline look promising, but us/Murray really need to start seeing some returns.

My criticism of Murray is that the players he acquired for the blue line, even if it was as a stop gap measure, were way beyond their prime to be adequate defenders. Gorges and Franson simply had little left, Kulikov was simply a misjudgment and Bogo is simply a major disappointment. As a unit they are not only not good but collectively they are a liability that has stunted this team.

Gorges was 29 (32 now) when he signed with the Sabres, and Fransen was 28 (29 now). yes, they were veterans, but I don't think you can say they were well past their prime. They are not bad 5's and 6's, the problem with the Sabres is 1-4, with Risto around a #2 at this point in his young career. Kulikov and Bogo have had injury riddled seasons, but are not super stars when healthy, 3 & 4 at best, and that may be too high. They weren't brought in to be #1's. They needed a left handed defenseman, so I didn't mind the Kulikov deal at the time. I still believe he never got to 100% this season. He's only 26 and will play in this league for many more years, he's not horrible when healthy, but not a top pairing guy. Risto needs to continue to mature and become that solid and consistent #1, hopefully McCabe can be a number 3 or 4, and Guhlie a 3 or 4. there's a lot of uncertainty, but moves will be made to shore up the blue line. I still believe GMTM can put a solid team together....

Edited by ricojes

Gorges was 29 (32 now) when he signed with the Sabres, and Fransen was 28 (29 now). yes, they were veterans, but I don't think you can say they were well past their prime. They are not bad 5's and 6's, the problem with the Sabres is 1-4, with Risto around a #2 at this point in his young career. Kulikov and Bogo have had injury riddled seasons, but are not super stars when healthy, 3 & 4 at best, and that may be too high. They weren't brought in to be #1's. They needed a left handed defenseman, so I didn't mind the Kulikov deal at the time. I still believe he never got to 100% this season. He's only 26 and will play in this league for many more years, he's not horrible when healthy, but not a top pairing guy. Risto needs to continue to mature and become that solid and consistent #1, hopefully McCabe can be a number 3 or 4, and Guhlie a 3 or 4. there's a lot of uncertainty, but moves will be made to shore up the blue line. I still believe GMTM can put a solid team together....

With respect to Gorges and Fransen I can say with confidence that they are well past their prime. Gorges is a well worn battered and bruised warrior. He is past his prime. I don't care how old or young Fransen he is simply too slow. What irritates me about him is that he has a good shot but he is horribly inaccurate so the best aspect of his game is neutralized.

I don't want to pick on a player such as Gorges because he gives you all he has. However, no matter how you try to pretty up the unit collectively it is demonstrably inadequate. It's not a hopeless cause. As you noted Guhle will be added to the mix next year and hopefully we can get lucky with the Russian from the KHL. Murray will still need to come up with at least two defenders who will play at a solid level. As you described it is not an unrealistic expectation for the curmudgeon GM to put together a more solid/decent unit.

Franson was never supposed to be signed. We went after Oduya but lost him to Dallas. Franson was pretty much what was left of a really bad FA class that season.

Gorges has never been the same since his injury last season. He has a lot of mileage on him and he should be playing 3rd pair minutes, where he would be most effective..

Defensemen are always going to be tough to find on the open market. The great ones almost never come available anymore and the ones that are above average get contracts that way outpace their production (Shattenkirk is going to get a ransom in free agency from someone). Murray needs to beat the bushes this offseason and find at least 2 real NHL defensemen and some organizational depth as well.

I think the idea of trading the 7th pick in the draft for Fowler is lunacy. It's pretty rare to get to draft really high in the NHL, so those picks need to be held onto unless the return is dramatic. Fowler is a nice young defenseman but he's never going to be a Norris Trophy winner.

Murray blew through a ton of capital in the way of donking off draft picks. And they dont seem to have much to show for it. Outside of the no-brainer picks of Eichel and Reinhart... and Kane who is kind of a time bomb and is also approaching UFA... we all like OReilly, but there isnt much else to show for it. No depth, and Rochester is pretty much a wasteland. A couple guys in the pipeline look promising, but us/Murray really need to start seeing some returns.

I know its sacrosanct around here, but ROR has not exactly had a stellar season either. Getting better seasons out of Gionta and Foligno than anyone expected, ROR needed to step his game up...and he has not. Not awful, just not as good as last year.

The cupboard was pretty bare when he got here, really. The deal that kinda pissed me off was for O'Reilly because it contained both Compher AND the 31st pick in the draft. If it was one or the other I'd have probably been OK with it but I don't see how taking McGinn's expiring contract (then not keeping him) makes sense with the 4 assets we sent. I was happy to see Grigorenko go because he has bust written all over him (thanks Darcy).

The Lehner move is either going to look great or really stupid. There isn't much middle ground. I don't subscribe to not trading First round picks above the high teens (traditionally they have a ridiculous bust rate) but for Lehner?

Kyle Okposo is in ICU at Buffalo General, no word on why

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/05/sabres-okposo-hospitalized-icu-department/

"Okposo is in the Neuro Surgical ICU at Buffalo General Hospital, Paul Hamilton of WGR-AM 550 reported Wednesday. The Buffalo News has confirmed the story.

website for the UCLA Neurosurgery Department, the neuro ICU cares for patients with all types of neurosurgical and neurological injuries, including stroke, brain hemorrhage, trauma and tumors."

Spooky stuff. Prayers for Okposo. I really hope he is ok.