Brexit

Brexit  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will Great Britain vote to leave the EU

2. 2. Should Great Britain vote to leave the EU

3. 3. Should the new version of TSW allow animated Hypnotoad Avatars

Britain has never really been part of Europe anyway, as a matter of policy and geography.

I guess I didn't think they were actually a member of the EU because when I was there, all UK countries were still on the British Pound. Going back & forth between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland generated a lot of odd currencies in my wallet.

The world is getting very ugly and scary

An attacker killed a lawmaker from the U.K.’s main opposition Labour Party on Thursday in her parliamentary constituency of Birstall, West Yorkshire, in a midday assault that prompted a halt to official campaigning ahead of next week’s referendum on the U.K.’s continued European Union membership.

The world really is resembling 1930's to a large extent. All we need is hyperinflation in a major country and the cycle is complete

The world is getting very ugly and scary

The world really is resembling 1930's to a large extent. All we need is hyperinflation in a major country and the cycle is complete

Initial media reports had the attacker yelling "Britain First".

Now, after witnesses countered that, they are quickly walking that part back

But, no matter, its already out there..................right media ?

Initial media reports had the attacker yelling "Britain First".

Now, after witnesses countered that, they are quickly walking that part back

But, no matter, its already out there..................right media ?

Maybe he was referring to the Euro cup?

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/standings/index.html

Edited by meazza

I voted that we'll probably leave. I will vote to stay in on Thursday though. The truth around the motives/justification surrounding the murder of Jo Cox would sway things massively if he really is a Britain First member (plenty of things are pointing that way as of right now).

Too much fear and panic being spread, not nearly enough fact on the table. There's absolutely a case for leaving but I'd much rather see the real numbers in terms of trade agreements and the effect on GDP before I could vote to leave. I've seen half a dozen figures on the net gain associated with leaving from half a dozen sources. I'm pretty intelligent and I can't comprehend some of it, I'm terrified that this is falling into the hands of absolute morons.

The leave campaign is being fronted by some of our very worst politicians (many of whom are trying to evoke the spirit of Enoch Powell). I can't help but think some are entirely racially motivated, using the argument of sovereignty to legitimise very dark personal politics. In all good conscience, I can't align with them.

England’s Brexit Issues Mirror Our Own
by Jonah Goldberg
Voters across the pond are also fed up with government elites.
It’s anyone’s guess how things will go in Thursday’s referendum on British membership in the European Union, also known as “Brexit.” Right now the polls are essentially tied at around 47 percent for and 47 percent against (not that British polling has a particularly good track record). But win or lose, the fight over Brexit is symptomatic of a much larger crisis facing out-of-touch elites on both sides of the Atlantic.
The European Union was the ultimate triumph of technocracy. The smart set not only insisted that a common European currency would work fantastically well, they insisted that doubters were knaves and nuts. Then the waves of Euro-crises hit the continent, most notoriously in Greece.
The smart set insisted that a common immigration policy would be an unalloyed economic boon while dismissing any concerns about possible social or economic upheavals. To disagree was to declare yourself not only a crank but a bit of a racist. This species of political correctness led government officials to turn a blind eye to countless problems, including the notorious Rotherham sexual-abuse epidemic in which about 1,400 minors, mostly white girls, were raped and trafficked by men of South Asian descent.
{snip}

There are parallels aplenty here in the United States. For generations, American elites, particularly on the left side of the aisle, have insisted that democracy gets in the way of optimal decision-making. Stuart Chase, an economic adviser to Franklin D. Roosevelt, wanted an “industrial general staff with dictatorial powers” to run the economy. In 1962, John F. Kennedy declared: “Most of the problems . . . that we now face, are technical problems, are administrative problems.” These problems “deal with questions which are now beyond the comprehension of most men.” Columnist Thomas Friedman openly yearns for the American government to be “China for a day” so it could overrule democracy and the rule of law in pursuit of “what works.”

This attitude virtually defines the Obama administration’s approach to everything from climate change (the Environmental Protection Agency, not Congress, destroyed the coal industry) to immigration (even President Obama admitted his executive orders would be unconstitutional, then went through with them anyway). Hillary Clinton’s disdain for the rules regarding her server and e-mail, whether criminal or not, have the distinct stench of aloof aristocratic arrogance (as does her family’s foundation).
The thing about the rule of unaccountable rulers is that people will defer to them so long as they feel things are moving in the right direction, economically and otherwise. But when their incompetence and self-dealing seems to come at the expense of the public, the deference ends. This is where the populism of Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump overlap. Both ran on very similar claims that the elite are in it for themselves. Both insisted that their respective parties were “rigged.” Neither wants to get rid of interventionist government (alas). Rather, they want government to be even stronger and more activist for their chosen constituencies. Trump’s success in the primaries was a direct result of the widespread sentiment — right or wrong — that the “establishment” had different priorities on trade, immigration, etc., than the rank and file.
No matter how Brexit turns out, and no matter who wins the presidential campaign, this populist discontent isn’t going away any time soon. In fact, it’s shaping up to be the new normal.

Today is the big day. I'm normally all about the chaos. I voted Monster Raving Loony Party in the local elections, for God sake. Not today though, too much at stake.

If the Leave campaign get their way, I'm think I'll start to hate this country. If they don't, I genuinely fear for people of ethnic persuasions because some of these xenophobes won't take being told 'No' lightly.