Calling all landscapers... Need help

mrags

Tecumseh motors rock... I was using my father's 8hp Snow King from 1977 well into the 2000's... Just so damn big for the average 40" a year we get here. I gave it away. Then I picked up my father- in-law's smaller thrower from 1982... Still kicking, 5hp still too damn big, gave that one away too... Now it is just me and the shovel, I can work that all hours of the night and not wake the neighbors.

Mowing is the absolute worse... I rather shovel, throw 10 feet of snow all day then mow a lawn for "aesthetics." Grass is just a weed... Gratuitous waste of time, money pit (fertilizer, etc...) IMO. That's how I view it. Mow it and it is green, be done with it! Make dandelion root tea, soup, or wine... HA! Only in America, dandelions become the bane of the suburbs! ...Even fights cancer. I get too much tractors, mowing, landscaping @ work... I don't wanna come home and work the same crap land. I am thinking about planting an alternative lawn... LMAO!

My advice, don't go down the lawn worm hole:

http://www.planetnatural.com/organic-lawn-care-101/alternatives/

"For many of us in North America, grass is our default planting. If we can’t figure out what to do with an outdoor space, we plant grass, for grass, we assume, can grow anywhere. But turfgrass is simply not the best planting for many sites. It needs mowing, it needs water, it wants fertilizer, many types don’t like shade — it’s pretty picky stuff. It takes a lot of work, water, and fertilizer to keep a lawn looking good."

I ain't no hippy, the world needs chlorine, heavy industry, and Prius repellant (diesel exhaust) too, but stuff like golf courses and lawns are just a waste.

Lawns are so bourgeoisie. I am trying to convince them to stop mowing the lawns in spots @ work. No need to worry, this isn't trees/vegetation on levees and controlling structures in NOLA during Katrina type of importance, LMAO, not really. But the tree hugging bird watchers offered this piece of advice for the too many damn Canadian geese... This time of the year, geese are nesting all over the joint too. The geese get nasty and testy when you stumble upon them. They said to leave the big lawns high in spots, they won't land (predators tend to lay in wait in tall vegetation, so they won't land, just go somewhere else)... The big problem is they land, eat the shortly mowed grass, then walk all over and crap everywhere!

/end_landscaping_rant Now get off my lawn! Did I tell you how much I hate lawns? Tecumseh motors rock!

:D:D

I think we touched a nerve :flirt:

A note for you and your mower regardless of what you buy:

Try as hard as you can NOT to put ethanol mixed gasoline into it. If you have a spot where you can get regular gasoline without the ethanol, your new small engine will love you for it.

• 4 weeks later...

A note for you and your mower regardless of what you buy:

Try as hard as you can NOT to put ethanol mixed gasoline into it. If you have a spot where you can get regular gasoline without the ethanol, your new small engine will love you for it.

This is so true! I buy the ethanol free gas at Sunoco that is specifically designed for small engine use and does not have any ethanol. It is pricey at $4 per gallon, but ethanol indeed wreaks havoc on small engines. It also has a much longer shelf life.

What did you get Rags?

After bragging on my honda, the transmission quit so I bought a Toro today. I hope it is as reliable as the honda was. Honda still starts first full every time, it's just too heavy, especially with no self drive. I must say that the new Toro is awesome out of the box. Let's just hope she lasts

This is what we picked up today....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_632474-60102-1816-16EW_1z0wgdc__?productId=50329467&pl=1

The lawns really too small to worry about engines, and storing gas, etc. For $100, if we get 3-5 years out of it, it's worth it.

They work great but you can't let the lawn get away from you unless you are a complete beast and can push thru the tall grass.

Best part is that with moderate maintenance they make a nice, perfectly clean cut which is how you get that professional looking lawn without spending thru the nose and constantly tuning up/sharpening a powered mower.

It's like cutting your hair with scissors instead of grinding it off with a flowbee.

What did you get Rags?

After bragging on my honda, the transmission quit so I bought a Toro today. I hope it is as reliable as the honda was. Honda still starts first full every time, it's just too heavy, especially with no self drive. I must say that the new Toro is awesome out of the box. Let's just hope she lasts

i couldn't decide so I'm sticking with my Crapsmen for another year. Next year I'll probably go with an Ariens.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_632474-60102-1816-16EW_1z0wgdc__?productId=50329467&pl=1

The lawns really too small to worry about engines, and storing gas, etc. For $100, if we get 3-5 years out of it, it's worth it.

oil the blades and hand clean them after every cutting with a rag. keep them sharp, healthy.

i couldn't decide so I'm sticking with my Crapsmen for another year. Next year I'll probably go with an Ariens.

why wait until next year?

you have all summer to shop up. learn different machines. maybe even start or push some. just make as many notes as you can. come fall, you'll see tons of models reduced on sale. those reduced on sale could be any type and could be as much as 50% of off. you could end up with a high end model for the price of a moderate unit. you could end up with a moderate unit available for a cheap unit. or even a cheap unit for peanuts. a cheap unit for peanuts - if it only lasts 4 years and costs you >$100?

just be ready in the fall to see whats out there.

Edited by Boyst62

Good choice esp. if you are mowing a small area.

I mowed 0.5 acres in Lewiston until I was 15 and my dad FINALLY bought a power mower.

(He was concerned about safety issues )

Like others said, keep the blades clean and sharp and this will work well.

Just jack....

I tried a push reel mower one year. The problem is, you must have nearly pperfect lawn for those to work well, in my experience. Crab grass lies too low and spread out. Sticks, debris, roots, uneven turf will stop you dead in your tracks. And who the heck is gonna clean and oil the blades after every use?! I hope it works out for you though. The cost and environmental benefits are admirable.