Ever walk into your job one day....

And know you need to quit?

That happened to me today. I did something for work, messed something (minor) up and got scolded. I walked out of my bosses office and decided right then that I'm officially done there. Its been a year, I still don't feel comfortable there and don't enjoy anything I do for my job. I'm done.

Now what? Anyone ever been in this position?

Edited by Captain Hindsight

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That happened to me today. I did something for work, messed something (minor) up and got scolded. I walked out of my bosses office and decided right then that I'm officially done there. Its been a year, I still don't feel comfortable there and don't enjoy anything I do for my job. I'm done.

Yep, in 2000 I quit my job and started my own business. Best move ever!

It's a scary thing to walk out on a paying job, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Good luck!

Count to 10, update your resume, go to work tomorrow and look for a new job while you still have A job

Yes, much easier to find a job when you have a job. I quit a job when I was 28, took me several months to find a new one.

Who's gonna be the first one to give Cap't the "old man" talk?

You make of things what you put into it. Everyday won't be roses and sunshine, doing exactly what you love. I am not saying "settle" for something less than you want either....

Good luck and stay focused on your goals, don't let minor issues derail you!

Every place isn't for everyone. That's just reality. Some companies are far more dysfunctional than others. But as others have said, it's rarely smart to leave a job without another one already in place. It's much easier to get an interview and negotiate from a position of strength when your new prospective employer knows you don't "NEED" a job.

This happened to me a couple years ago.

When I first started at my last company I took a lower down job in hopes of proving myself for a higher responsibility and higher paying position. After my first year there, the company did see the potential in me and offered me a raise and a promotion but they low-balled me on the raise. They worked in a tier system for salaries that had minimum and maximum salary. They put my in the next highest tier but decided to pay me $1,000 less then the minimum in that tier. I felt a bit slighted but to me it was another challenge to prove myself. The company I worked for was a bit behind the times and I was really hoping they would create a position in the company, that they didn't have, for me. I was doing work that wasn't part of my job description hoping that they would see the value. Unfortunately, they just didn't see it. They really liked the work but they didn't seem like they wanted to give me that job title and pay me as such. They were too set in their old ways and didn't want to spend the money. It happened suddenly one day that I just realized that this company was right for me. I updated my resume, looked for other jobs and when I found one and got hired I left.

look for another and when you have the job put in your two weeks.

Count to 10, update your resume, go to work tomorrow and look for a new job while you still have A job

This. The pressure of finding a job when you are not employed can become intense. You are also assuming the next job will be better. Give yourself a fighting chance to have this come true.

I got to agree with all the advice given above. You want to leave your job fine, stick it out, look for another job in the meantime & then quit when you find another job. Honestly that is the smart play.

If you burn the fries at McDonalds, try Burger King.... Then there is Wendy's.... If you blast through all those and it doesn't work, maybe you aren't a fry guy.... Try subway....

Yep, in 2000 I quit my job and started my own business. Best move ever!

Same here. Except there was this crucial moment for me. I spent 10 years at a company, and after being a faithful stooge, my boss forced me to realize something: that I needed him more than he needed me, and he reached a point of prodding me to the edge.

In one meeting, I was being chastised and threatened for, honestly, no good reason, and I had enough. I wasn't going to take his schitt anymore, and I literally stood up to quit.

I'm still not sure why, but I chose to sit back down. I apologized for my attitude and assured my boss I would fix it immediately. He was happy to hear it. And I left his office starting to plan my exit. I gave myself a year.

This week was my company's 13th anniversary. I employ six people, most with family and mortgages and kids and lives, and it's ridiculously fulfilling. I'm making less money and have plenty to deal with, but I've never, ever been richer.

The idea of walking out and telling your boss to shove is a great fantasy, but it's a much better reality when you don't do it out of anger toward you boss, but with purpose for your life.

Same here. Except there was this crucial moment for me. I spent 10 years at a company, and after being a faithful stooge, my boss forced me to realize something: that I needed him more than he needed me, and he reached a point of prodding me to the edge.

In one meeting, I was being chastised and threatened for, honestly, no good reason, and I had enough. I wasn't going to take his schitt anymore, and I literally stood up to quit.

I'm still not sure why, but I chose to sit back down. I apologized for my attitude and assured my boss I would fix it immediately. He was happy to hear it. And I left his office starting to plan my exit. I gave myself a year.

This week was my company's 13th anniversary. I employ six people, most with family and mortgages and kids and lives, and it's ridiculously fulfilling. I'm making less money and have plenty to deal with, but I've never, ever been richer.

The idea of walking out and telling your boss to shove is a great fantasy, but it's a much better reality when you don't do it out of anger toward you boss, but with purpose for your life.

Cool story