Ongoing MMA Thread

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sure he stepped away :flirt:

If a guy is still fighting back then he is not out, and Gaethje was clearly still doing that and is known for coming back after being knocked down. Herb sucks and always will, if I was a fighter I would demand he never reffed my fight.

Again  he is known for overcoming this and has been worse before. Being rocked is not out on one's feet, this is fighting let them fight, if they don't want CTE then do something else.

He couldn't even stand anymore.  When the fighter can't protect himself anymore from strikes, he's done.  When he went to the ground, he just grabbed on whatever body part he could out of desperation, it just happened to be the leg.  He wrapped one arm, then slowly the other one without any strength.  DP was celebrating at that time, Gaethje was so out that he didn't even know it.   

If you look at the last 10 seconds or so, he had to be helped to the stool.

It's not just a CTE issue, it's a fighterwho can't defend himself.  

I'm very well aware of Gathje's toughness but when you're wobbling like a drunk guy and still getting hit....you're done.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve got so much respect for Barbosa after last night.  Lee beat him up every round and Barbosa pushed through it.  He wasn’t right after the first round and gritted it out the next 4.  Almost ended it in the fourth with a spinning back kick....should have not gone for the back after Lee was dazed.  Lee’s strength is on the ground and gave him time to recover.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

And this is why you don't stop fights early.

"While it seemed like Silva was going to cruise to a unanimous decision win or even a late-fight finish, it was Puelles who sneakily grabbed a hold of Silva’s leg midway through the third. Puelles rolled over into position, started to crank, and didn’t let go until Silva tapped. "

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/5/19/17372480/ufc-chile-full-fight-video-highlights-claudio-puelles-submit-felipe-silva-mma-kneebar-comeback

Any thoughts on Pennington's attempt at quitting.  In 20/20 hindsight I thought her corner did her a favor.  Her will had been broken but she was not injured ...just looking to get out of a frustrating situation of getting pummeled by a friend.  originally though I was surprised that they resisted her attempt. Most times corners should listen to fighters.

The fight was awful, as was 99% of the card.  congrats to Machias though.   gastlenum and Souza looked like a bum fight by midway through the 2nd round. I have wanted to get on to the gastlenum hype train for a while but he keeps showing up overweight or out of shape.   neither fighter was in shape to go much more than a round .. just not acceptable by fighters of ufc standards. Felt like a money grab.  as did the entire card.

Moving on to this week's card,  I have a ton of respect for Damien Maia ...one of my all time favorites. But  watching himtry

tto fight anyone with good takedown defense is just painful to watch.  A 40 year old man lunging at air all night.  it is probably too late to fix that weakness now, and his striking ... never explosive to begin with ... has deteriorated as well.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:25 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I’ve got so much respect for Barbosa after last night.  Lee beat him up every round and Barbosa pushed through it.  He wasn’t right after the first round and gritted it out the next 4.  Almost ended it in the fourth with a spinning back kick....should have not gone for the back after Lee was dazed.  Lee’s strength is on the ground and gave him time to recover.

Barbosa is a true warrior  ... cannot recall a fighter his level taking so much damage in back to back fights as he did against Khabibulin,  then Lee.

• 3 weeks later...

So Yoel Romero didn't make weight and was 185.2 . Normally you're allowed 1 pound over which would make it 186. How is it that he didn't get the one pound allowance when other fighters on the card were ??

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-225-Weighin-Results-Yoel-Romero-Misses-Weight-for-Title-Fight-137885

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So Yoel Romero didn't make weight and was 185.2 . Normally you're allowed 1 pound over which would make it 186. How is it that he didn't get the one pound allowance when other fighters on the card were ??

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-225-Weighin-Results-Yoel-Romero-Misses-Weight-for-Title-Fight-137885

You don't get the pound allowance in title fights.

I really hope CM Punk doesn’t get another fight.  He isn’t a fighter at all.

I mean he’s been training for 4 years and he doesn’t know how to apply day 1 stuff in an actual fight.   It was bizarre to me.

Hes not going to be at a pro level with just 4 years training but should still be able to do the basics.  I couldn’t believe he allowed Jackson to slam punches down from his guard and didn’t attempt to break him down, work on a sweep/reverse or work on standing back up.  He just ate those punches while in guard.

Hes wild and has no balance after throwing punches.  He just moves in a straight forward line when attacking....it’s like he has no understanding of angles.  He should have been knocked out in 30 seconds.

He throws kicks like my toddler....literally.

He’s equivalent to striking out in slow pitch softball in the octagon and it was embarrassing.

33 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really hope CM Punk doesn’t get another fight.  He isn’t a fighter at all.

I mean he’s been training for 4 years and he doesn’t know how to apply day 1 stuff in an actual fight.   It was bizarre to me.

Hes not going to be at a pro level with just 4 years training but should still be able to do the basics.  I couldn’t believe he allowed Jackson to slam punches down from his guard and didn’t attempt to break him down, work on a sweep/reverse or work on standing back up.  He just ate those punches while in guard.

Hes wild and has no balance after throwing punches.  He just moves in a straight forward line when attacking....it’s like he has no understanding of angles.  He should have been knocked out in 30 seconds.

He throws kicks like my toddler....literally.

He’s equivalent to striking out in slow pitch softball in the octagon and it was embarrassing. 

Agree with all of this.  Combat sports aren't something you just "pick up" because you're an athletic guy.  Most of the guys who are successful in the Octagon have been doing some level of this their entire sporting life.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:13 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If a guy is still fighting back then he is not out, and Gaethje was clearly still doing that and is known for coming back after being knocked down. Herb sucks and always will, if I was a fighter I would demand he never reffed my fight.

Again  he is known for overcoming this and has been worse before. Being rocked is not out on one's feet, this is fighting let them fight, if they don't want CTE then do something else.

https://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/mma-fighter-chokes-referee-because-hes-so-disoriented-after-getting-destroyed-in-10-seconds

I tried to find the clip but can't remember the fight but after it was called the fighter tried to latch onto the refs leg as well.  Instinct takes over even if they are out.  

I would rather a fight get stopped too early rather than too late every single time.

1 hour ago, FappyTheClown said:

Punk was brought in to sell PPV's. He had zero chance of success. I won't hate on him for taking up an opportunity he was offered, but yea, I'm glad the experiment is over. 

True but he just looked so bad.  At 4 years training full time with professionals, he should be at least at or approaching purple belt level in BJJ.  Saturday night, he looked like a white belt who has been training for a month.

57 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

True but he just looked so bad.  At 4 years training full time with professionals, he should be at least at or approaching purple belt level in BJJ.  Saturday night, he looked like a white belt who has been training for a month.

I hear you give black belt level bjj Sansei

50 minutes ago, FappyTheClown said:

I couldn't even get through a round of it. Not that I was expecting to. 

I think the best way to describe it is "uncomfortable".  I like seeing beat downs but between 2 legit pros....that's exciting.

A guy who looks that bad, it's like watching a bad comedian bomb on stage.  So awkward.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I hear you give black belt level bjj Sansei

Black Belts make me look like a toddler.  It's unreal the knowledge they have.  

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the best way to describe it is "uncomfortable".  I like seeing beat downs but between 2 legit pros....that's exciting.

A guy who looks that bad, it's like watching a bad comedian bomb on stage.  So awkward.

Black Belts make me look like a toddler.  It's unreal the knowledge they have.  

Not much goes over your head bud..

Except you giving black belt level bjj sensei ?

Edited by Buffalo716