Liberal Protests

B-Man

48 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Can't really have an honest conversation with people on the left or in this movement, because they begin from a point of dishonesty.

It's been hard to find an honest conversation with anyone on the left since Bush v Gore.  It's been literally impossible since Trump was elected. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Was I wrong in 2018? Where are you Paul Ryan???

Well, I wasn't wrong on 2018 either.  It's a pretty common happenstance in the world of politics, sonny boy.

I'll acknowledge the blue wave when it happens.  I am 100% convinced that there are enough voters who were outraged by Trump's election who will cast a vote for their own version of a serial sexual abuser, plagarizer, shake down artist, bully, racist and fondler and celebrate the accomplishment.  It'll be a disappointment,  but I'll laugh my ass off at the stunning display of hypocrisy.  Hell, I'm laughing now watching the tired old man campaign. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Mob violence to rip down statues isn't the way to deal with it. But let's be clear, many of these Confederate statues were erected by Segregationist states during Jim Crow as a symbol of white rule. Placed in the center of town squares and at capital buildings during Segregation, they were symbols of power. White power over black lives. That's the history of many of these statues. 

FDR was on hand for the dedication and unveiling of the statue or Robert E Lee in Robert E Lee Park in Dallas in 1936 and even made a speech.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2017/09/06/flashback-fdr-unveiled-robert-e-lee-statue-without-controversy-in-1936/

On June 12, 1936, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was on hand to honor the "warriors in the lost cause of the Confederacy" by unveiling the statue of Robert E. Lee in Dallas' Lee Park. The following day, The Dallas Morning News published a recap of the event, detailing FDR's speech and other parts of the gathering. 

This was before the big switheroo I guess.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Don't remind them that Frederick Douglas was a Republican.................that statue may "have to go"

PS: notice that they put little blue x's on the floor,  so our 'leaders' knew where to stand...........?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

I have a couple progressive friends that I talk to honestly and openly on the regular. We love each other, but hate each other's politics, and that's OK.

Same here....until a few years ago.   Actually there's still one buddy I can talk to honestly, but the rest have all gone off the deep end.   And I'm far from right wing....pretty much liberal on most/all social issues but that's not good enough for today's mob.

• Like (+1) 7

27 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Alternative:

How about instead of defunding the police, we just stop patrolling the cities? Cordon them off and leave them to themselves.

Then send in Snake Plissken to rescue the President.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

And the people's President should ride in a convertible. 

What a &^%$ing moron. 

Andrew Jackson is the President who made the White House more accessible to the public, right?  And Donald Trump styles himself after Andrew Jackson, right? 

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

Something that unites us all

Both speakers spraying the same mic with respiratory droplets and aerosols, the first with an improperly worn mask and the next actually removing her mask. But shaming for that kind of behavior is so 10 days ago.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I lived in Richmond for 25 years and Monument Ave was one of the most beautiful avenue's i'd ever seen.  I'm not a native southerner so to me they were statues that were part of the history of the south.  I personally never glorified it.  I understand that a lot of people feel very strongly on both sides of the confederate issue.  I always thought of Monument Ave as an outdoor museum.  It's a damn shame because the statues really were aesthetically pleasing to look at as statues.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right on the outside review. It should always happen.

As for the issue of confederate statues, I am somewhat conflicted. I am not a big fan of erasing history and I feel it is a slippery slope. I also recognize that we don't want to glorify something as horrific as slavery. I think distinctions can be made. There are statues and monuments that were erected specifically to endorse white supremacy and the inferiority of the black race. I have no problem doing away with those because of the intent behind their construction. I am not a fan of eradicating statues/monuments/etc. of people that were created to honor their contributions to this country, simply because they also held a belief we might find reprehensible today, but was not that uncommon in their time. Lots of honest dialogue on that issue.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

If you know civil war history then you know it really wasn't fought over slavery. If we're to erase anyone who had anything to do with slavery then we'll lose George Washington, Jefferson etc.

I was thinking about what slavery has probably built - the pyramids, the Great Wall of China, The Roman Coliseum etc.
To be consistent is there any discussion of tearing these down? 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I was thinking about what slavery has probably built - the pyramids, the Great Wall of China, The Roman Coliseum etc.
To be consistent is there any discussion of tearing these down? 

Very good point

• Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Don't remind them that Frederick Douglas was a Republican.................that statue may "have to go"

PS: notice that they put little blue x's on the floor,  so our 'leaders' knew where to stand...........?

Hmmmmmm. Seems suspiciously like a photo op..

8 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Very good point

Yep. America didn’t invent slavery. It was around for centuries. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

More pandering at the expense of safety.

In the areas that have been hit, even just keeping budgets flat is effectively a cut. Law Enforcement agency property that has been destroyed by rioters (ex. cruisers) will need to be replaced. Any funds used for replacement will have to be diverted from other internal LE budgetary priorities.