Liberal Protests

B-Man

31 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's Antifa.

Not a cop. Not a neo-nazi. Not a russian.

Antifa.

It's starting to look like the breaking of windows at the Auto Zone was organized as an excuse for the police to start tear gassing the protest. 

The man with the black umbrella smashed out the windows.  "Free ***** for Everyone Zone" has been spray painted in the door before he started breaking the windows. He goes to the dumpster and probably throws out a can of spray paint.

2071665061_ScreenShot2020-05-29at12_11_02PM.png.86b735f8adc646178669d676d95be951.png

Within 30 secs of smashing the windows, and the moment he goes behind the building you hear the gas get fired into the crowd.

By the time he gets down the street in this video, the crowd is dispersing due to the tear gas: 

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1266343490465775622

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You're a *****.

One group hasn't killed anyone, hasn't destroyed any property, hasn't incited a riot. The other has.

Fool

Your team will always have Charlottesville. 

Edited by BillStime

22 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Dude, it's murder.

That's indisputable. All the ancillary ***** that's happening since the killing is unjustified, but the cop's a murderer.

Murder normally is a crime based on intent to kill.  Based on what I’ve seen, I don’t know how easy it would be to convict of intentional murder.  Manslaughter (probably the equivalent of man 2 in NYS), again based on what I’ve seen, looks like a likelier charge.  But this also is exactly the type of case that could be overcharged, so we could see at least one count of murder 2, man 1, and man 2 each levied in an indictment. 

I’ll add that this almost certainly is a homicide (that’s not the same as murder), and that the uncertainty with respect to whether a murder charge would stick is part of the reason why it’s important to proceed prudently and investigate before charging. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

It's starting to look like the breaking of windows at the Auto Zone was organized as an excuse for the police to start tear gassing the protest. 

The man with the black umbrella smashed out the windows.  "Free ***** for Everyone Zone" has been spray painted in the door before he started breaking the windows. He goes to the dumpster and probably throws out a can of spray paint.

2071665061_ScreenShot2020-05-29at12_11_02PM.png.86b735f8adc646178669d676d95be951.png

Within 30 secs of smashing the windows, and the moment he goes behind the building you hear the gas get fired into the crowd.

By the time he gets down the street in this video, the crowd is dispersing due to the tear gas: 

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1266343490465775622

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I agree that many if not most of these cases are complete bull####.

I don't think that this is one of them.

That cop committed homicide, and should be tried for it.

Agreed. That being said, it’s a bad idea to let public outrage dictate any investigation or the timeline therein.

I find the fact that he knew the guy to really open layers to this- if you were investigating this and discovered that, all the sudden you go from looking at a probably police brutality/whatever form of manslaughter that is, to “wait, could this be pre-meditated?”

Im sure the reality is not as cut and dry as it’s been said, but he definitely needs to go away. 

15 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Disagree.  A process must be followed because we have due process of law in this country. In the state criminal context the “badge” doesn’t make for a different review process.  It may be that the process is more difficult because of the role played by the person under investigation at the time of what apparently was a homicide here, but there’s no special or different treatment here because the “target” of the investigation acted in a law enforcement capacity at the time of the incident in question.  

Agreed. I think you nailed it when you said “process may be more difficult.”

Maybe someone can help whose served on a force before, but I imagine there is some form of review that would happen leading to his firing (which was almost immediate) and then the DA would get involved and investigate criminality?

Edited by whatdrought

21 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Murder normally is a crime based on intent to kill.  Based on what I’ve seen, I don’t know how easy it would be to convict of intentional murder.  Manslaughter (probably the equivalent of man 2 in NYS), again based on what I’ve seen, looks like a likelier charge.  But this also is exactly the type of case that could be overcharged, so we could see at least one count of murder 2, man 1, and man 2 each levied in an indictment. 

I’ll add that this almost certainly is a homicide (that’s not the same as murder), and that the uncertainty with respect to whether a murder charge would stick is part of the reason why it’s important to proceed prudently and investigate before charging. 

This is an unusually reasonable take from you.

I'm pleasantly surprised. That said, the cop KNEW the victim, apparently. Makes murder more likely IMO.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

The chain of events is clear: the violence in Minneapolis escalated after police broke up unarmed protestors with tear gas and rubber bullets. This is not surprising in and of itself. Police escalating confrontations and acting like a paramilitary force has been happening since at least 2014 where it became readily apparent. 

But somehow, some way, discretion was called for two weeks ago the state capitol was rushed with people carrying deadly weapons, getting into the faces of the police on duty. Somehow, despite being crammed into tight quarters with people carrying rifles they kept their cool just fine.

If you don't see a difference in police reaponse, you have an agenda

40 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

This is incorrect. There is published evidence that does support that theory. Below is an example from last year from Rutger's University. 

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

original.png

Here is the abstract.

We use data on police-involved deaths to estimate how the risk of being killed by police use of force in the United States varies across social groups. We estimate the lifetime and age-specific risks of being killed by police by race and sex. We also provide estimates of the proportion of all deaths accounted for by police use of force. We find that African American men and women, American Indian/Alaska Native men and women, and Latino men face higher lifetime risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. We find that Latina women and Asian/Pacific Islander men and women face lower risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. Risk is highest for black men, who (at current levels of risk) face about a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over the life course. The average lifetime odds of being killed by police are about 1 in 2,000 for men and about 1 in 33,000 for women. Risk peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for all groups. For young men of color, police use of force is among the leading causes of death.

The problem with your data (aside from it being an estimation based on a simulation) is that it doesn't distinguish between justified shootings and wrongful shootings. As such it is meaningless.

Violent crime is disproportionately committed by black people (incidentally, the overwhelming majority of their victims are black). Therefore, it necessarily stands to reason that a higher percentage of blacks would be shot in police encounters just as a higher percentage of black people are in prison for violent crimes. The relevant number - wrongful deaths - is conspicuously absent.

What I takeaway is that even based on your agenda-driven simulated estimation, a black man has better than a 99.9% chance of going through life without getting shot by a cop, and it follows that the number jumps up significantly if he doesn't engage in a life of crime.

Correct. Warren is race baiting and dividing. 

But that's the MO of progfascists everywhere. Just look in this thread. 

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The chain of events is clear: the violence in Minneapolis escalated after police broke up unarmed protestors with tear gas and rubber bullets. This is not surprising in and of itself. Police escalating confrontations and acting like a paramilitary force has been happening since at least 2014 where it became readily apparent. 

But somehow, some way, discretion was called for two weeks ago the state capitol was rushed with people carrying deadly weapons, getting into the faces of the police on duty. Somehow, despite being crammed into tight quarters with people carrying rifles they kept their cool just fine.

You left out your conspiracy theory about rogue cops... 

As for the rest -- people protesting for their rights = TERRORISM!, people burning buildings and looting = Peaceful protest. 

Get the f out of here with this revisionist shite. 

Keep proving you're nothing but an empty NPC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:
Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who killed George Floyd, has been arrested in Minneapolis, the Minnesota Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington announced.

Adam Schefter is breaking NFL news and George Floyd news now?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think you are going to far with this statement but I will state that good cops should actively try and force out bad cops. The good cops will pay for the actions of this guy for years and it is apparent that this not his first time if the reports are true. Also all four should be arrested immediately since there is no way their will not be a criminal trial. But I will not blame all cops for the actions of a few.

Did you know that when the NYPD pulled a power move and went on strike to demonstrate their “value” to the communities they “serve” the crime rate actually went down?

Police are thugs.  They voluntarily seek out a job which requires them to infringe on the rights of others as a normal function of their employment, have no duty to protect the public, and know that their criminality is protected by qualified immunity.

They act like an occupying army, rolling around in paramilitary gear with punished logos on it.

The government is bad, and those who volunteer as its enforcers are the worst of the bad.

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Agreed. That being said, it’s a bad idea to let public outrage dictate any investigation or the timeline therein.

I find the fact that he knew the guy to really open layers to this- if you were investigating this and discovered that, all the sudden you go from looking at a probably police brutality/whatever form of manslaughter that is, to “wait, could this be pre-meditated?”

Im sure the reality is not as cut and dry as it’s been said, but he definitely needs to go away. 

Agreed. I think you nailed it when you said “process may be more difficult.”

Maybe someone can help whose served on a force before, but I imagine there is some form of review that would happen leading to his firing (which was almost immediate) and then the DA would get involved and investigate criminality?

The review here was conducted by a pissed-off mayor and lasted about as long as it took to watch one of the videos of the incident and dismissed the cops immediately.  There may be PBA action under the CBA to reinstate one or more of the terminated officers.  The employment status of the officers and any DA or State AG criminal investigation operate separately from one another. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I agree that many if not most of these cases are complete bull####.

I don't think that this is one of them.

That cop committed homicide, and should be tried for it.

I mean, I hear you. I just don't know how anyone could read my posts and assume I'm saying otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Correct. Warren is race baiting and dividing. 

But that's the MO of progfascists everywhere. Just look in this thread. 

Please leave this crap out of this thread.  We’re actually getting along for once.  There will be a time for politics and discussion of such things as that Warren comment and Trump’s twitter comments from last night.  But that time isn’t now. 

51 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I wouldn't. But I'm not part of the legendary Blue Wall.

So you're thought process is individuals watch another officer execute individuals and simply remain quiet about it for $60k per year?  

Would you protect your mother, father or sibling if they murdered another?  Your child?  

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

Adam Schefter is breaking NFL news and George Floyd news now?

...crazy right?...…..here's more official stuff...………..

Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin arrested by BCA in death of George Floyd

By Dave Orrick | dorrick@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: May 29, 2020 at 12:14 p.m. | UPDATED: May 29, 2020 at 12:45 p.m.

The Minneapolis police officer who was seen on video kneeling on the neck of George Floyd, after which the man died, has been arrested, the state’s public safety commissioner announced Friday.

Video taken by a bystander and shared on social media shows officer Derek Chauvin pressing his knee into Floyd’s neck, as Floyd was handcuffed and lying face-down on the ground, on Monday.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which is leading the investigation, made the arrest.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman is holding a press conference at 1 p.m. today, during which he “will announce a major development in the death of George Floyd,” according to a statement from his office.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/05/29/minneapolis-officer-in-george-floyds-death-under-arrest/

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Define rushed. Do you mean stood in a single file line and submitted to temperature checks prior to entering?

• Like (+1) 3