Liberal Protests

B-Man

29 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Wow....I now understand how these issues continue for generations. 

There is nothing systemic about the actions of the officer in the Floyd incident. That’s an overused b.s buzzword. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

The flood of guns on the streets has made life dangerous for cops, right? 

No wonder they shoot unarmed people, they are afraid for their lives because of guns. 

Huh? We the people? 

Tibsy, the guns are there, to have a conversation on how life might be different if guns were never invented is a waste of time. To be blunt, I'd still prefer that firearms are available for sport/protection even if we could turn back time.  Why?  See Minneapolis, Minn.  There is nothing right, fair or equitable about roving packs of scumbags burning/looting/vandalizing and victimizing, and that has nothing to do with George Floyd. 

As for police shooting unarmed people, you're oversimplifying the problem.  It's rare, exceptionally so, to find an officer firing on a person following the rules of society. It's so rare that we often know the name of the victim and the officer involved.   It's asking too much of an individual to perform a job at great risk to him/herself and demand they stop, look, listen, evaluate beyond a reasonable point.  I think, on average, law enforcement as a whole does a pretty remarkable job doing just that--being reasonable to a point.  Certainly there are exceptions, thankfully most don't end in death or serious injury.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Ya'll love a good conspiracy on here, right? Tell me this sounds crazier than Rhino's Q-Anon BS

hqdefault.jpg

101069698_2611423399095806_1022254249976

Not saying it's true, but after hearing about Hillary's kill lists, and secret coups and the deep state it seems right up your alley

Don't worry DR is on the case. He'll have a thesis by noon PST.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So let me get this right: you think a neo Nazi is going to go out to a black riot, and invite violence among the crowd?

Whooooo yeah. So, uh, we jigglin' er...

I was referring to the specific video I posted. Did you watch it and see the person in question who actually busted out the windows of the Auto Zone? 

I didn't say neo-nazi or skin head. I said white nationalist. And I think there are probably multiple agent provocateurs involved in a lot of the escalation in Minneapolis. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

There is nothing systemic about the actions of the officer in the Floyd incident. That’s an overused b.s buzzword. 

This is not an isolated incident...ask Kaepernick

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

?

es

Minneapolis City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins said George Floyd and fired police officer Derek Chauvin knew each other for many years because they worked security at the same night club. On Monday, Chauvin, who is white, was captured on video with a knee on Floyd’s neck. Floyd, who was black, died.

Both men worked at El Nuevo Rodeo on Lake Street before their last encounter.

“They were both bouncers at that restaurant for 17 years,” Jenkins told CNN. “So, Officer Chauvin, he knew George. They were co-workers for a really long time.”

That . . . Certainly adds another layer to the onion.  How bizarre. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

I was referring to the specific video I posted. Did you watch it and see the person in question who actually busted out the windows of the Auto Zone? 

I didn't say neo-nazi or skin head. I said white nationalist. And I think there are probably multiple agent provocateurs involved in a lot of the escalation in Minneapolis. 

White nationalist = Neo Nazi.

Don't play euphemistic games.

3 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Never ever thought you were a racist, never crossed my mind. Only know you were being way to technical in an issue which has gone past technical. Citizen vs citizen needs listening and desire to reach a national solution to what is obvious. Replace Floyd with Stephon Diggs and tell me the reaction is not different to part of the citizenry, or substitute Josh Allen as Floyd, . The CNN Newsman was arrested for nothing before the policeman. 

As a result of the judicial system not openly caring about some citizens, they protected some citizens, hiding behind a process than many sense is just a block, then caused many other citizens the loss of their business and property. Nobody won. Everyone should feel the loss. 

Riots are wrong, military police are wrong, loss of life is wrong and loss of property is wrong. Defending a process that causes this result is???

So money = privilege ? Celebrity = more attention. Welcome to the real world, full of human failings. As for the rest , no process caused any of these results. All results of acts by humans. Some definitely criminal, one very possibly criminal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

Whoever that guy is, there are far more people that are obviously not "White Nationalists", looting and destroying things.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

1.I am not a citizen lawyer or politician so what law I do not know, but you said they should have it changed.

2. I did not suggest you are defending the officers, but the response to death in Minn and Georgia are a symbol of an issue you are refusing even acknowledge so how can it be solved.

3. Lynching is death, arresting is the start of a process that shows the citizens that this obvious violent incident is being placed into the proper public judicial system. How can you not see this...stop defending the indefensible.

Consider the possibility that the problem being addressed does not exist. There is no empirical evidence supporting the theory that black men are disproportionately subject to violence at the hands of police and/or white people. 

The theory is supported only by a running narrative born out of a bygone era, and the occasional selectively and sensationally reported anecdotal example that appears to confirm the preconceived notion. In other words, it is supported exclusively by confirmation bias.

This incident is a statistical anomaly. Of course a police officer who kills someone without legal justification should be subject to criminal prosecution, but contrary to popular belief that is usually what happens.

Of course the police officer has some inherent advantages based purely on the circumstance of his position, but the increasingly standard use of body cams remedies much of that, and independent investigators and prosectors are routinely assigned to these cases to avoid conflicts of interest.

That is not to say that everything is perfect, that no black people are ever victimized, or that nothing could or should be improved, but the narrative that black men are systematically and disproportionately victimized by police and/or white people on a broad scale is a fantasy. More accurately, it is a pernicious lie that is propagated, not for the benefit of the purported victims, but to advance the interests of those who benefit from internal conflict, racial tension, and civil unrest. Those are the truly dangerous people.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

So money = privilege ? Celebrity = more attention. Welcome to the real world, full of human failings. As for the rest , no process caused any of these results. All results of acts by humans. Some definitely criminal, one very possibly criminal. 

Then your real world will continue to have cops who kill, buildings which burn, violent protests, divided citizens, huge costs, 

You often quote the constitution, it does not mention real world, it talks of a better place to which you seem to say...f??? It thus is good enough.

Not sure the date.

Feel for George Floyd. :(  (rip man) Police should be locked up for what they did.

Shameful on police (arrested cnn reporter as well), for everything.

And the protesters as well for going way to far.  Peaceful protest much better. Both sides police and protesters. Such a shame.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

This is not an isolated incident...ask Kaepernick

On its own, it most certainly is. There appear to be major deviations from any use of force training manual found in any P.D. in America. There’s nothing systemic about that. It’s a big country with many Police departments and incidents of improper action will arise. Especially with the volume of Police / citizen interactions on a daily basis. If the conduct is deemed improper, excessive or unlawful it will be punished. That looks to be the case in the Floyd incident, but it must take it’s course. Doesn’t look like it has anything to do with race, either. Kaep is no expert. 

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

Consider the possibility that the problem being addressed does not exist. There is no empirical evidence supporting the theory that black men are disproportionately subject to violence at the hands of police. 

Seriously? You mean you have an empirical study that shows there is no disproportionality, or that you haven't seen any evidence that there is? 

Just now, Rob's House said:

There is no empirical evidence supporting the theory that black men are disproportionately subject to violence at the hands of police and/or white people. 

This is incorrect. There is published evidence that does support that theory. Below is an example from last year from Rutger's University. 

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

original.png

Here is the abstract.

We use data on police-involved deaths to estimate how the risk of being killed by police use of force in the United States varies across social groups. We estimate the lifetime and age-specific risks of being killed by police by race and sex. We also provide estimates of the proportion of all deaths accounted for by police use of force. We find that African American men and women, American Indian/Alaska Native men and women, and Latino men face higher lifetime risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. We find that Latina women and Asian/Pacific Islander men and women face lower risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. Risk is highest for black men, who (at current levels of risk) face about a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over the life course. The average lifetime odds of being killed by police are about 1 in 2,000 for men and about 1 in 33,000 for women. Risk peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for all groups. For young men of color, police use of force is among the leading causes of death.

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Seriously? You mean you have an empirical study that shows there is no disproportionality, or that you haven't seen any evidence that there is? 

He's lying or a moron.

Or both.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

Consider the possibility that the problem being addressed does not exist. There is no empirical evidence supporting the theory that black men are disproportionately subject to violence at the hands of police and/or white people. 

The theory is supported only by a running narrative born out of a bygone era, and the occasional selectively and sensationally reported anecdotal example that appears to confirm the preconceived notion. In other words, it is supported exclusively by confirmation bias.

This incident is a statistical anomaly. Of course a police officer who kills someone without legal justification should be subject to criminal prosecution, but contrary to popular belief that is usually what happens.

Of course the police officer has some inherent advantages based purely on the circumstance of his position, but the increasingly standard use of body cams remedies much of that, and independent investigators and prosectors are routinely assigned to these cases to avoid conflicts of interest.

That is not to say that everything is perfect, that no black people are ever victimized, or that nothing could or should be improved, but the narrative that black men are systematically and disproportionately victimized by police and/or white people on a broad scale is a fantasy. More accurately, it is a pernicious lie that is propagated, not for the benefit of the purported victims, but to advance the interests of those who benefit from internal conflict, racial tension, and civil unrest. Those are the truly dangerous people.

Even a perceived issue is an issue. Empirical data only ignores another problem. 

It needs to be solved. Building barriers does not. 

You actually believe that only pros are behind this?

Ok I will agree with you. 

Floyd is dead, Minn is burned, you still have the problem

For those talking about white people starting or influencing the riots:

1- I don’t care! Whoever it is that’s starting this and partaking in it are worthless idiots who need to be punished. Regardless of any factors. 

2- the problem with the “started by the white guy” theory is that it runs counter to the meta-narrative we’re seeing in the media wherein the black people protesting have every right because of injustice. Either that’s true, and we don’t need an excuses based around a white dude starting it, or it’s not true and the entire thing needs to be condemned, stopped, and punished as I mentioned above.

• Like (+1) 1