Ryan Vs the Defense

Tenhigh

I have a new idea, lets talk about the disappointing 2015 defense.

It seems like every other post is "Cause...Wrex...Sux" and "Wrecks ruined this defense". Someone actually said he "LITERALLY castrated the defense" (probably my favorite hyperbole to date). I fully understand that he came in and said he'd make the D better. He also claimed he wouldn't change things (did anyone really believe that at the time?), which clearly turned out to be BS. There were also a ton of defensive calls that went in late. But it seems like we are we giving the players a pass here.

Why aren't any former football players who post here giving the defensive hell for not learning their assignments? Or clearly phoning it in much of the time? Could you imagine someone on your football team just giving up like MW did? I get that it's easier to hate "Wrex", and he deserves a lot of blame. But why aren't the players getting any heat (outside of the occasional dig at MW)?

The players (outside MW) aren't getting a lot of criticism for the simple reason that most of the performed well under Schwartz.

Did they suddenly get old and stupid? Or did the coaching change have something to do with the drop in performance?

When you try to analyze what went wrong last season, coaching is the obvious place to start.

I don't think it is one side or the other. Both sides are to blame. But it seems that is not easy for *some* people to grasp and the discussion ends up with the typical canned responses.

Of course the coaching had something to do with it. I don't think anyone has ever said it didn't. By holding players accountable for making plays and working hard and learning the scheme it doesn't mean the coaching has nothing to do with it. It's not a black and white discussion.

It all starts with coaching. And it all ends with coaching. This tired argument falls upon this.

If the head coach said he would not change the defense then he does...its Rex

If the head coach said he would make the defense better than one of the best D's in the league and he doesn't...its Rex

If the players go out there and give a lackluster effort ...than its the players

If the players continue to play at lackluster effort...its the coach.

Spare me that we didn't have anyone to replace Mario Williams if the claim is that he was being lazy. A street DE could contribute to the team if he merely tried - an assertion that was claimed. And likely true.

Would Belicheck, Payton or even Carroll let that happen? No.

REx was in over his head selling **** for gold. Week 17 is our only hope.

I don't think it's unfair to hold Rex to the same critical standard that Chip Kelly was held to last year. While Rex has a longer track record of success in the professional ranks with his "system", it's difficult not to argue that he values that system above tailoring a defense to it's strengths. Much like Kelly, Rex came into a town that was fairly successful on the side of the ball they purported to be an expert in. Much like Kelly, Rex's team underperformed compared to the recent past. If the Bills aren't back in the top 10 on D and make the playoffs this year I don't think it's an overreaction to call for his firing.

It all starts with coaching. And it all ends with coaching. This tired argument falls upon this.

If the head coach said he would not change the defense then he does...its Rex

If the head coach said he would make the defense better than one of the best D's in the league and he doesn't...its Rex

If the players go out there and give a lackluster effort ...than its the players

If the players continue to play at lackluster effort...its the coach.

Spare me that we didn't have anyone to replace Mario Williams if the claim is that he was being lazy. A street DE could contribute to the team if he merely tried - an assertion that was claimed. And likely true.

Would Belicheck, Payton or even Carroll let that happen? No.

REx was in over his head selling **** for gold. Week 17 is our only hope.

yeah, well Pegs probably whiffed on Rex, but hey, he saved the franchise. so you take the good with the bad. no franchise, or franchise with owner who doesn't really know what he's doing. choose.

Some interesting takes, and I agree that it's not black and white. While part of me leans toward the "If you are unwilling to do your job correctly, why is that your bosses fault" argument, I can see the other side of the coin as well. I also think the point about it being Rex's fault for not benching MW is fair, but even that is nuanced. Like it or not, that defense works as a unit. I can understand why a new coach who is trying to install his system handles his star defender with kid gloves, even though he's being a malcontent. You're trying to get these guys to buy in to the system willingly, not scare them into it. It's part of the whole "players coach" mentality, that has seen some success.

I don't think it's unfair to hold Rex to the same critical standard that Chip Kelly was held to last year. While Rex has a longer track record of success in the professional ranks with his "system", it's difficult not to argue that he values that system above tailoring a defense to it's strengths. Much like Kelly, Rex came into a town that was fairly successful on the side of the ball they purported to be an expert in. Much like Kelly, Rex's team underperformed compared to the recent past. If the Bills aren't back in the top 10 on D and make the playoffs this year I don't think it's an overreaction to call for his firing.

What happens if the ship gets turned around on defense next year, and we're in the top 10 on defense? Does Wrex become Rex again?