Sharing Stadium?

john_bult

Poll  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Support For Sharing Stadium?

I can buy beer at a FSU basketball game cuz the arena isn't on campus, FSU just voted to sell beer at their baseball games.The baseball stadium is on campus.I cannot buy beer at an FSU football game as the stadium is on campus, unless I am in a club/luxury box. I'm so confused.

It is up to the schools now (I think). A lot of stadiums that are on campus have started selling it recently. I think that it used to be an NCAA rule that prevented it but with the amount of money beer companies pump into sports It has softened.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the hypothetical of a new stadium downtown as well as mutual interest from UB to play there...

would it be in Pegula's interest to possibly donate money to the UB program in an effort to push them in the direction of program growth? A high level (meaning a power conference) program would certainly be a compliment to the One Buffalo thing and the whole 'campus' downtown.

in the hypothetical of a new stadium downtown as well as mutual interest from UB to play there...

would it be in Pegula's interest to possibly donate money to the UB program in an effort to push them in the direction of program growth? A high level (meaning a power conference) program would certainly be a compliment to the One Buffalo thing and the whole 'campus' downtown.

Having UB playing in a joint stadium downtown would give political cover for NY State to pony up money for part of the cost.

It is up to the schools now (I think). A lot of stadiums that are on campus have started selling it recently. I think that it used to be an NCAA rule that prevented it but with the amount of money beer companies pump into sports It has softened.

Yeah I think that's what it is. Not long ago I was reading a list of NCAA football stadiums that sell beer. It seemed to be mostly mid major type schools. From a business perspective it just seems too dangerous considering the majority of college students are under 21. I know its a problem everywhere, but a college football stadium is just asking for trouble. I'm thinking at the mid major schools it's not as troublesome because you don't have 100,000 people in the stadium. The concession lines aren't like going to the Ralph. Going to a Tulane game is more like going to a Bisons game than a Bills game. It probably makes things go smoother. Here's an article that discusses what stadiums do sell beer. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/beer-map-shows-trend-stadiums-selling-beer/ Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

If it's on campus I think. A few venues off campus allow... probably some other red tape too....

Anyways, I would go to ub games but that venue is comical how bad it is.

Living in Cincinnati is great as we can do Xavier and UC B-ball games with booze and UC football has it also. It's rare but it occurs.

I stand by my original opinion about stadium attendance, but again it is fun. I could care less if they do it in a decade when we probably open a new stadium.

As long as people have adequate expectations. The real issue is recruiting, investing ($$$$$) in coaching, so they can build a real program. They had their first hit with Khalil Mack putting them on the map. He is going to be a perennial pro bowler in time especially once people realize how impressive he is on the field.

I hope UB can figure it out. I know USF here in Tampa started getting better once they started with some good coaching. Then we started to get players, and we have one luxury. The most talented High School prospects come from FL, TX, and CA, with AL as a runner up. We get at USF the leftovers from FSU, UF, and to a minor degree Miami. That's how we've had so many prospects make the NFL in the last decade from a program I would compare to UB.

Nothing's going to happen though until probably 2022 or later.

I'm fine with it. Obviously a bowl game would be nice as well. The only potential downside is that the turf may get chewed up. That happens some in Pittsburgh.

Pitt has grass. Just put the stuff we have in now & I don't see a problem with it.

If playing in an NFL stadium helped college programs get better I would support sharing. However playing in a cavernous empty stadium rarely helps. The green wave recently moved out of the superdome and into an on campus 30,000 seat venue the same size as UB stadium. UB stadium is only 20 years old and does not need to be replaced. It's perfect for where that program is.

I agree with you first point. It would be detrimental to the program to play in a stadium every week that holds 65-70 k & have only 8K people show up. UB Students for some reason just don't want to support their teams no matter how good they are. A few years back I took my son to a Tuesday night game played in early November. It was a big game, I think it was against Ball State but can't remember the opponant. I remember a win though & the Bulls had the inside track on winning their side of the division to go to the MAC championship. I thought the stands would be packed with students(Tuesday night game, Veterans day the next day, no classes, ESPN is showing it on the deuce). They had about 500 student in the one corner of the lower bowl & that was it. It is the same with basketball. I am not saying the MAC is a power five conference but it is a very good mid major conference. When UB is half way decent(like most years) they should be packing Alumni Arena. They couldn't even sell out last year when they had a legitamate fringe top 25 team. UB students suck.

Why does UB need a new stadium?

They probably don't but if you ever been there the stadium is not good. I believe it was built for the World University games so it has this huge track around the field. The stands are so far away from the field especially in the end zones it is stupid. Although everytime I have gone they have the one endzone tarped off & the other endzone has very few people sitting there. Even if the stadium was packed the atmosphere would suck. Alumni Arena is a different story imo. I think that is a perfect venue for a school like UB. Too bad the students are too lazy to support a decent program.

UB Needs to pony up the money and go get a Legitamite head coach. Im talking an OC from Clemson or DC from Alabama type Deal (I know the Bama DC went to GA).

They did get the Defensive Coordinator from Penn State years ago & he turned out to be one of the worst coaches they ever had.

I stand by my original opinion about stadium attendance, but again it is fun. I could care less if they do it in a decade when we probably open a new stadium.

As long as people have adequate expectations. The real issue is recruiting, investing ($$$$$) in coaching, so they can build a real program. They had their first hit with Khalil Mack putting them on the map. He is going to be a perennial pro bowler in time especially once people realize how impressive he is on the field.

I hope UB can figure it out. I know USF here in Tampa started getting better once they started with some good coaching. Then we started to get players, and we have one luxury. The most talented High School prospects come from FL, TX, and CA, with AL as a runner up. We get at USF the leftovers from FSU, UF, and to a minor degree Miami. That's how we've had so many prospects make the NFL in the last decade from a program I would compare to UB.

Nothing's going to happen though until probably 2022 or later.

You have to realize that SUNY administration in Albany is a big boat anchor slowing down UB's athletic aspirations. They have rules limiting what coaches can make, which pretty much eliminates most of the P5 level coaching talent.

Also the other SUNY centers are balking at Buffalo declaring itself the state's flagship University even though it's the largest and most prestigious of the four.

The only way Buffalo (State University of NY) can keep climbing is with donations and those are increasing. They even have their own Phil Knight Nike-style patron in the guy who owns New Era who is an alum.

And as easy as it is to scoff at them, the long view shows how far they have come. It wasn't that long ago when they were losing every game. Now they average 5 wins and reached their second bowl game. Plus they are putting players in the NFL. And the basketball team is contending even after their disastrous offseason. There is progress.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

sharing ?

more like others can "rent".

no doubt, the Pegula's would love to book UB Football Games in their new downtown retractable dome stadium.

heck, if UB needs a place to play before 2022, they should use the Ralph until a new stadium is built.

You have to realize that SUNY administration in Albany is a big boat anchor slowing down UB's athletic aspirations. They have rules limiting what coaches can make, which pretty much eliminates most of the P5 level coaching talent.

Also the other SUNY centers are balking at Buffalo declaring itself the state's flagship University even though it's the largest and most prestigious of the four.

The only way Buffalo (State University of NY) can keep climbing is with donations and those are increasing. They even have their own Phil Knight Nike-style patron in the guy who owns New Era who is an alum.

And as easy as it is to scoff at them, the long view shows how far they have come. It wasn't that long ago when they were losing every game. Now they average 5 wins and reached their second bowl game. Plus they are putting players in the NFL. And the basketball team is contending even after their disastrous offseason. There is progress.

Really? Why should "Albany" really care about the football at Buffalo nay more than at, say, Stony Brook-(who's basketball program got a top 25 vote this week)?

As recently as 2013, UB was in the worst 10 FBS schools as measured in wins and revenue generated (and attendance). That's UB's problem to fix, not Albany's (which means the taxpayers, by the way).

Really? Why should "Albany" really care about the football at Buffalo nay more than at, say, Stony Brook-(who's basketball program got a top 25 vote this week)?

As recently as 2013, UB was in the worst 10 FBS schools as measured in wins and revenue generated (and attendance). That's UB's problem to fix, not Albany's (which means the taxpayers, by the way).

I thought I heard 40% of UB students are from NYC, Anyone know student body make up?

I thought I heard 40% of UB students are from NYC, Anyone know student body make up?

I think that is part of the problem. You get a ton of kids that just come here for the cheap tuition & the strong education & could care less about the area/sports teams.

Edited by Gordio

UB would have to go undefeated for like 10 straight years before they could sell out an NFL sized stadium.

Edit*: This post was not meant to be dismissive, you did a great job on the write up and were very thorough in your research.

a better stadium would attract more people, how many more idk. The stands at UBs stadium are terrible for anything. There isn't really a good seat in the place. The track plus 200 people standing along the entire sideline make for a poor experience no matter the product on the field. College games are usually free for students. I think more would go to a brand new billion dollar stadium than that cap they have in amherst

If playing in an NFL stadium helped college programs get better I would support sharing. However playing in a cavernous empty stadium rarely helps. The green wave recently moved out of the superdome and into an on campus 30,000 seat venue the same size as UB stadium. UB stadium is only 20 years old and does not need to be replaced. It's perfect for where that program is.

UB stadium is terrible

If a shared stadium = shared costs, then you have to be in favor of it. I don't care IF UB draws 3 fans, the cost share would be a constant, and would help.

Whatever happens in the future, the WNY taxpayers cannot, and likely will not support any funding/bond issues to finance whatever may be proposed, so every option has to be investigated.

Maybe a future design would even be attractive to the Bison's?