Sharing Stadium?

john_bult

Poll  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Support For Sharing Stadium?

Would other Bills fans be willing to share a stadium with the Buffalo Bulls from the University of Buffalo if a new stadium is built? The UB Football Team has had some success over the past few seasons, but they had a down year this season. The UB Football Team needs a new stadium soon also. Other NFL teams that share a stadium are:

Georgia State plays at the Georgia Dome

UMass plays at Gillette Stadium

University of Miami plays at Sun Life Stadium

Temple University plays at Lincoln Financial Field

Pitt Panthers play at Heinz Field

San Diego St plays at Qualcomm Stadium

USF plays at Raymond James Stadium

Metlife Stadium always hosts a college game yearly

Since both teams are in need of new stadiums, would Bills fans support the idea of the UB Football Team playing their games in the new stadium on Saturdays? Also, would other Bills fans support a possible college bowl game being played at the new stadium? Many bowl games are played at NFL Stadiums. Thoughts?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UB would have to go undefeated for like 10 straight years before they could sell out an NFL sized stadium.

Edit*: This post was not meant to be dismissive, you did a great job on the write up and were very thorough in your research.

Edited by fridge

UB would have to go undefeated for like 10 straight years before they could sell out an NFL sized stadium.

I guess that doesn't matter though, because I'm sure Temple never sniffs a sellout in Philly, so I guess it would depend on the "deal". UB's stadium is right on campus, and if the team were any good that would certainly appeal to the students.

Temple sold out the ND game this year when they were unbeaten late in the year. They played a great game and almost won. Really a remarkable story given where that program has been. Edited by Charles Romes

Temple sold out the ND game this year when they were unbeaten late in the year. They played a great game and almost won. Really a remarkable story given whew that program has been.

I just looked that up. I honestly didn't even realize they weren't still in the MAC. Allow me to amend that same verbiage to say...UMASS, where (according the write up) it only fills up 10% on gameday.

As a side note, UMASS beat UB in the finale this year.

No way. UB can't draw 10,000 fans. How do you justify the added wear and tear on an NFL field for that? The Steelers share a field with Pitt and it is always in terrible shape (although it has drainage issues too). Just not worth it. Now that I think about it, an NFL stadium might actually lose money hosting UB games.

If playing in an NFL stadium helped college programs get better I would support sharing. However playing in a cavernous empty stadium rarely helps. The green wave recently moved out of the superdome and into an on campus 30,000 seat venue the same size as UB stadium. UB stadium is only 20 years old and does not need to be replaced. It's perfect for where that program is.

Edited by Charles Romes

http://www.minerrush.com/2015/4/7/8148419/group-of-five-attendance-numbers-aac-mw-mac-sun-belt-cusa

Let me add that Buffalo had a little over 20,000 fans in attendance on average, which was in the middle. Being honest, 20,000 fans is pretty good for a football team in a non-bcs conference. Just sell tickets for the lower deck, and it will still make a profit. Plus the draw of the stadium being downtown may draw more people and students to the stadium. I have seen the UB Stadium once, and it honestly sucks. There is the track separating the field from the students, which may be another draw on why less people go.

Pitt had Heinz field like 90% full, although Pitt is in a BCS conference.

If playing in an NFL stadium helped college programs get better I would support sharing. However playing in a cavernous empty stadium rarely helps. The green wave recently moved out of the superdome and into an on campus 30,000 seat venue the same size as UB stadium. UB stadium is only 20 years old and does not need to be replaced. It's perfect for where that program is.

I really like the new Tulane Stadium. It would be the perfect model for UB if they build a new stadium separate from the Bills.

No way. UB can't draw 10,000 fans. How do you justify the added wear and tear on an NFL field for that? The Steelers share a field with Pitt and it is always in terrible shape (although it has drainage issues too). Just not worth it. Now that I think about it, an NFL stadium might actually lose money hosting UB games.

The last game UB played at RWS drew 26K which happened to be their 3rd largest crowd ever. UB doesn't need to draw 70K to share a stadium with the Bills. In fact I'd bet the Bills would welcome 6 additional game days in their new downtown stadium, even if it's only 20K. They still eat, drink and buy merch.

The downside is as stated a lack of attendance. In Tampa, USF who has a decent following never fills Raymond James stadium. The get maybe 10,000 seats filled and that is with the school practically giving away seats to the students.

the upside is it is cheap, you sit close to the team, and can be fun.

The last game UB played at RWS drew 26K which happened to be their 3rd largest crowd ever. UB doesn't need to draw 70K to share a stadium with the Bills. In fact I'd bet the Bills would welcome 6 additional game days in their new downtown stadium, even if it's only 20K. They still eat, drink and buy merch.

The downside is as stated a lack of attendance. In Tampa, USF who has a decent following never fills Raymond James stadium. The get maybe 10,000 seats filled and that is with the school practically giving away seats to the students.

the upside is it is cheap, you sit close to the team, and can be fun.

I am with MG Kelly on this. Those are all inflated numbers. Even if they weren't, it wouldn't be enough. I live in Williamsville and I've seen that stadium on many game days. And, yes, a college program does need to draw fans to make it worthwhile to utilize an NFL stadium. There is no way that UB could draw enough revenue to make it profitable - especially considering all of the deals, freebie tickets and and other specials used to get attendance up. Honestly, how many pre-game concert goers left before kickoff last season? Edited by BarleyNY