John Miller progress from year 1 to year 2

It will help if our OL coach can stay out of trouble......I thought losing him earlier in the year really hurt our OL's progression

I agree based on the O line played better when Kromer came back.

He is strong and smart. If he stays healthy he will be fine.

Plus having Glenn and Cog back will help. Oline is one unit where continuity matters a lot.

And as we have seen one position really can effect the play of another. RT needs to get figured out.

Agreed.

Tons of improvement in that second year. Any lineman playing in Roman's complicated offensive line system for the first year is a challenge. Eric Wood said it on WGR.

To be a rook and do it, plus all the normal NFL challenges that face the new guys, he had a ton on his plate this year.

Remember the 2nd year jump for Cordy, Jason Peters etc.

Slow feet means dead meat. My old football coach used to say that to the o-linemen. I think John will progress nicely.

I am much more optimistic about Miller's prospects than Kujo and Henderson's prospects. There is no doubt that Miller struggled in his rookie year. But he is much more athletic and mobile than Kujo is. Although he lost playing time because of injuries he did he get a lot of playing time. There is more to worry about with the RT position than with the RG position, especially with Urbik as a backup.

I've considered Miller a high floor, low ceiling type of guy. He doesn't strike me as a guy we'll see in the pro bowl, but he'll hold his own as long as the play around him is solid. If I'm wrong, hopefully it's in the good way!

I realize Miller was playing hurt quite a bit but I was very underwhelmed by his pass blocking all season. He was unable to pick up a stunt correctly all year and late blitzers ran through his gap with abandon. If it were strictly a mobility issue I'd be less worried given the ankle issues but I didn't see a man with his head on a swivel looking for that second player to block.

He had a good rookie year especially in the run game. I would hope they are going to really work hard on his pass protection this off season and I am hopeful we see incremental jumps in that area the next couple of years.

I think Miller will be fine.

Edited by GunnerBill

If Miller doesn't improve, we are in trouble. With the exception of Seantrel Henderson, our O-line picks the last few years have been abysmal. Somehow the Cheats have O-linemen growing on trees, and we can't find one to save our life.

Henderson has been horrible. He last his job to a street free agent.

If Miller doesn't improve, we are in trouble. With the exception of Seantrel Henderson, our O-line picks the last few years have been abysmal. Somehow the Cheats have O-linemen growing on trees, and we can't find one to save our life.

The Cheats O-linemen didn't look too good vs Denver.

Edited by vincec

The Cheats O-linemen didn't look too good vs Denver.

Brady has been hit more times this year than any other year in his career. The Pats o-line has been a mess all year. They have had 37 different combinations on the line.... let that sink in. I actually think Belichick would have been better sticking with a combination for a prolonged period. Last year he spent the first 6 or 7 weeks shuffling guys about until he found the best combination. This year he never found a combination he was happy with but at some point the shuffling should have stopped and he should have gone for consistency.

Miller wasn't very good this year....he seems to have the head...knows the play book, and that is impressive for a rookio. BUT...he was beaten often physically, and when he came back from injury. I watched him come off the field for the Dallas game in particular (I was sitting on home side that game) and he could barely walk. imho, he did not belong out there. The staff wants him out there so bad, they put him out there with no chance as he was physically shot. If a lineman can't take the pounding, he won't make it in the NFL. He will get another chance out there, but, the Bills PR machine says he is a lot better than he really is. Bills definitely in trouble on the O line.....

Slow feet means dead meat. My old football coach used to say that to the o-linemen. I think John will progress nicely.

Weren't slow feet a pre-draft concern for Miller? I rarely watched him specifically so everything for me is second hand knowledge. Everyone notices when an offensive lineman gets blown up - and I did notice that a few times with Miller - but that's not a fair way to judge a player, especially a rookie who may have hit that rookie wall. If anyone really focused on him and is informed please fill the rest of us in.

I've considered Miller a high floor, low ceiling type of guy. He doesn't strike me as a guy we'll see in the pro bowl, but he'll hold his own as long as the play around him is solid. If I'm wrong, hopefully it's in the good way!

Why a high floor? Judging only by scouting reports I saw Miller as a bit of a reach in the 3rd round. An OG whose ceiling was solid starter, but who also had a floor of back up OG (or worse). He didn't even look to be flexible in scheme. Again, someone with real knowledge would come in handy here. I do hope the guy progresses and becomes a good player. Barring injury we should know what we have in him sometime in 2016.

I can understand how he grades so badly in pass protection... but the run blocking criticism by PFF is plain wrong and I speak as someone who has watched all22 of every single Bills game this season. Miller has been a really good run blocker. He needs to work on his pass protection but we knew what we were getting - a good run blocker who need polish in the passing game.

I am a PFF sceptic anyway.

I agree based on the O line played better when Kromer came back.

Agreed.

Plus he played most of the 2nd half of the season hurt. If we can snag a monster RT in the draft or FA or Mario Williams trade (doubtful considering $$$) he will be in a good spot to get better.