Digging a little deeper....that last game against the jets

I admit I thought the Bills would layover after the first defensive series by the Jets. I thought the Jets would beat the Bills up front and they would pack it in.

I am happy to be wrong.

But the Jets were just awful. Dropped passes all over the place. Poor play calling. How does a guy that gets a 50+ yard run not get more carries? Fitz threw the worst pass/red zone interception of the season for him and all of the other Bills opponents combined.

I don't think any of this stuff carries over to next season. It doesn't matter at all. All that matters is they upgrade the linebackers, get healthy, and keep feeding Sammy.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's incredible about Fitz is that MR.8-8 is Mr. 28 - That's how much he's been paid over the last 4 years - $28.25million. Not bad for Mr.8-8

That's what any NFL QB is worth today. BTW that loss probably cost him a fat contract extension.

We matched up well with the Jets, despite the injuries and the bottom line is that the Jets choked. Fitz has great games, so-so games and every so often an awful game. Its not as if we blew them out of the stadium.

The Jets did choke. The shanked punt, the previous penalty that gave us that field position, all the stupid penalties, the dropped passes. Yep, they choked and not just Fitz, the whole team choked.

Nevertheless, we should give ourselves credit. Their D played hard to stuff the run and we kept at it, while TT came up with a more complete passing game than we'd yet seen.

Our D was injured but played tough, stifled their running game, and had some fantastic DB play in pass breakups, plus some clutch plays when it counted - McKelvin jumping the route, Dareus making the Lawson INT happen.

That's what any NFL QB is worth today. BTW that loss probably cost him a fat contract extension.

Indeed. He'll very likely still be offered a good contract, but it won't be as fat as it would have been if the Jets were playoff bound.

it did cost him on the size of the contract, I'm sure. Interestingly I caught some of Boomer and Carton yesterday on wfan and they had willie colon on. They were all gushing about Fitz and how the first thing they need to do in the offseason to do is lock him up! He's the real deal! It's like they never saw him play until he got there. Of course, the jets are used to having rock bottom QB play so they probably feel like they hit the jackpot. But that was Fitz's ceiling and the likelihood of him staying there is low considering the easy schedule they had last year and his WRs are another year older. But I hope they do lock him up. Please do. pay him big money. Lots of cap space.

The Jets made plenty of mistakes, too...dropped passes, penalties, DUMB penalties, and Fitz's picks in the 4th quarter.

I think the Jets lost the game more than the Bills won it.

The Jets choked across all 3 units, no question. 12 man on the field penalty + shanked punt was a gift-wrapped 7 points, for example. Then the missed FG.

But give the Bills credit, they still had to take advantage of what they were given, which hasn't consistently happened throughout the season. They also came through with some big plays on D when they needed to.