Digging a little deeper....that last game against the jets

- We were missing 10 starters

- The jets had EVERYTHING to play for

- We really had NOTHING to play for

and yet....the team came out and was as focused as I have seen it all season and they won the game.

I am wondering.....WHY

I dont really credit Rex for this.....but the fact is we were not a penalty machine....and guys who you wonder would even be on the team next year were making contributions.....

I feel that for this team to take its next step....we need PLAYERS to step up into leadership positions on this team (and get players who wont do it out) because Rex just runs too loose of a ship for him to the be the guy that keeps it all together

Thoughts?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and yet....the team came out and was as focused as I have seen it all season and they won the game.

I am wondering.....WHY

I dont really credit Rex for this.....but the fact is we were not a penalty machine....and guys who you wonder would even be on the team next year were making contributions.....

I feel that for this team to take its next step....we need PLAYERS to step up into leadership positions on this team (and get players who wont do it out) because Rex just runs too loose of a ship for him to the be the guy that keeps it all together

Thoughts?

Why not?

There's really nothing to "dig deeper" into here. The Bills were +2 in turnovers. Historically teams that are +2 in turnovers win their games about 95% of the time. All the other stats that anyone wants to look at are just gravy stats. They really don't matter all that much by comparison.

Just like I give Marrone credit for having the team ready to play in week 17 last year, I give Rex credit for keeping them focused this year. There are plenty of teams that just play out their string of games, that didn't happen. Give credit where it's due.

That being said, you also should place blame where it's due too and much of that is on Rex for this disappointing season.

There's really nothing to "dig deeper" into here. The Bills were +2 in turnovers. Historically teams that are +2 in turnovers win their games about 95% of the time. All the other stats that anyone wants to look at are just gravy stats. They really don't matter all that much by comparison.

The Bills were winning before any of those turnovers. Those turnover definitely helped win the game but they aren't the only stat that matters. Without a solid, ball control offense and a D that limited 3rd down conversions those turnovers don't mean much.

I am wondering.....WHY

Thoughts?

We matched up well with the Jets, despite the injuries and the bottom line is that the Jets choked. Fitz has great games, so-so games and every so often an awful game. Its not as if we blew them out of the stadium.

Fitz man... We've seen this story before. Tyrod had an efficient game no mistake and made some big plays with his feet.... and Fitz was himself. 3 picks, about 40% completion...

This is the reason they let the guy move on.

Exactly - that game was a microcosm of Fitz in Bflo. Teases you with gritty play and comes up short in the games you really gotta have. He's Mr. 8-8 and got lucky 2 more times this year to tease Jets fans. I love Fitz and he is the only reason I feel bad for the Jets missing the playoffs - but not at our expense!

The Bills were winning before any of those turnovers. Those turnover definitely helped win the game but they aren't the only stat that matters. Without a solid, ball control offense and a D that limited 3rd down conversions those turnovers don't mean much.

Without the turnovers, the Jets score once or twice - enough to win.

Just like I give Marrone credit for having the team ready to play in week 17 last year, I give Rex credit for keeping them focused this year. There are plenty of teams that just play out their string of games, that didn't happen. Give credit where it's due.

That being said, you also should place blame where it's due too and much of that is on Rex for this disappointing season.

I'm not buying that for a second. The Jets easily were moving the ball down the field. In lieu of scores for the Bills, it would have been scores (at least FG's) for them and the outcome of the game could have easily gone the other way. If you think a 19-17 score is a lock for a win, you're nuts and clearly didn't watch the game.

I'm not buying that for a second. The Jets easily were moving the ball down the field. In lieu of scores for the Bills, it would have been scores (at least FG's) for them and the outcome of the game could have easily gone the other way. If you think a 19-17 score is a lock for a win, you're nuts and clearly didn't watch the game.

He's not saying turnovers aren't important. But it's lazy to say that it's the only stat that matters, when deep into the 4th quarter the Bills were winning without having a TO advantage.

It's like whenever the announcers would say something like "The Cowboys are 9-0 when Murray gets 20 or more carries." To which my wife would say " Why don't they just give him the ball 20 straight times and guarantee a win?" There's obviously a lot more going on than just some statistic.

I am wondering.....WHY

Thoughts?

game was fixed. Jets were gonna beat the Patriots for the AFC title in a cinderella story and Kraft got wind of it.

Ernie was in the stands stealing signals and forwarding them to Preston Brown

We played more of a Rex defense (which was Rex's fault earlier when he decided not to play it).

We insisted on getting the ball to our best player.

That extremely complex formula could have been the difference in a couple other games, too.

you mean like leaving Robey alone on Marshall :sick: ? More than once :wallbash:

But i think you are on track. players were flying around!!

Exactly - that game was a microcosm of Fitz in Bflo. Teases you with gritty play and comes up short in the games you really gotta have. He's Mr. 8-8 and got lucky 2 more times this year to tease Jets fans. I love Fitz and he is the only reason I feel bad for the Jets missing the playoffs - but not at our expense!

That you Rex ? :rolleyes:

Without the turnovers, the Jets score once or twice - enough to win.

as has been argued here for months now:

another thing good coaches do is know when not to 'coach.'

Rex's so-called 'loose ship' is in STARK contrast to the bullied-minutia that players (who rehearsed lining up for the national anthem) got in heaping doses last year with Marrone.

Instead, Rex's 'loose ship' breeds a tighter team cohesion provided the players engage in a little self-policing.

that sort of thing was presumably absent last year with a micromanaging hard ass at the helm and Rex was reeling not having self-directed players in his locker room.

The Jets made plenty of mistakes, too...dropped passes, penalties, DUMB penalties, and Fitz's picks in the 4th quarter.

I think the Jets lost the game more than the Bills won it.

Disagree, the team played with passion, the Jets didn't help their cause, but the Bills are the

better team!

The Bills were one crazy bouncing ball on a late breakup of a Thompkins catch from losing that game with 24 seconds left.