Bills on Hard Knocks?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come around on this topic; I wouldn't mind it at all. The 'lack of distraction' hasn't helped much lately.

That said, I'd bet heavily on the cameras being in LA next summer. Whoever ends up in LA is going to get a lot of promotion from the NFL.

I said it earlier in the thread but I agree in principle with you, LA is probably the best bet because the league will want to focus on that team. But I wonder if they'll wait for the permanent stadium / training centers to be built first. Covering the LA team in temporary digs won't be the first impression the league wants to make with the LA clubs... I think.

There may be a positive vote for LA in late January, but the liklihood of games in 2016 is much lower. My guess is they start playing games in 2017. As far as Hard Knocks in Buffalo, I honestly have never seen the show at length.

Looking back at who had it and when, the records didn't necessarily pan out to be a distraction. Rex loves the mic, so not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I guess from the standpoint of how many people complain we are invisible in the National Media, we certainly would be a main topic during camp.

The reality is I care much more about the draft, than who gets Hard Knocks, and how many guys can we resign.

if the NFL has their way it will be in LA.

I'd be willing to be bet money that it's absolutely not an LA team. The league isn't proud of having to relocate a franchise, plus it can be perceived as a slight to the fans that just lost their team. I think the fans' thought process on this is a little bit backwards.

I'd say we are the heavy favorites. Hard Knocks in Rochester '16 -- get your tickets early!

The distractions crowd is a hoot.

It's 2016 guys. Everything's on film. Air it.

This is like the one thing you and I agree on. My brother doesn't post on here but checks out the site semi-often and always gets a big kick out of the people who insist that they don't want the Bills on Hard Knocks because it would be a distraction. It's a pretty laughable opinion to have. For one, it's not a distraction. And for two, if you are a Bills fan and are at all familiar with Hard Knocks then you should be salivating at the idea of getting that type of access/inside look at the team. It would be amazing.

As far as the people who don't like the show, I can't help ya. I have watched every episode ever and very much look forward to it every year. With the exception of the Dolphins season, it always delivers. Is the format redundant? Sure. But it is excellently produced and manages to keep my attention for an hour every time.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Other than the new team in LA angle, which I think is very compelling, I don't see how they don't pick the Bills. Storylines abound for this team, and Rex gave them the best season they've had. I can't imagine we aren't on the short, short list to be on it.

Other than the new team in LA angle, which I think is very compelling, I don't see how they don't pick the Bills. Storylines abound for this team, and Rex gave them the best season they've had. I can't imagine we aren't on the short, short list to be on it.

so the Bills are obligated if no one volunteers and the NFL picks them? Edited by YoloinOhio

Lets keep in mind whats really at play here...we are not on a list to be chosen. We are on a PLAN B list, thats it. The only way the list of eligible teams becomes a factor is if no other organizations, including ones who have been on the show before, don't step up and say they are willing to do it. If any of the 32 teams say they will do it, regardless of level of public interest in that team, then they will be the team on Hard Knocks. If multiple teams volunteer, then they will choose between those volunteers.

The Bills are eligible to be forced to do it only if none of the 32 teams agree to be part of the show. The Bills could of course put their name in the hat for consideration by offering to be part of the show as well. In the event no one team has offered to be part of the show, the NFL will choose one based on qualifying criteria. And this year, the Bills are one of the teams that fit the qualifying criteria and would not be able to refuse the show if the NFL tapped the Bills to be team under that scenario.

To date, as far as I know, that rule has never been used, meaning there has never been a season where the team on the show was forced to be on that show via the rule. So before we start penciling the Bills in, keep in mind the odds are some team or teams will be open to being on the show. So unless the Bills openly volunteer to be in consideration for the show, the odds are pretty low the Bills will be on next years Hard Knocks. In the event that the list comes into play, there are still other teams that the league will consider, including some with bigger markets, so we are still not a lock to be chosen.

All that being said, I do think there is a possibility we make ourselves eligible for the selection process though as I would think both Terry and the front office see value in raising our media profile. I think Whaley has been against it in the past if I am not mistaken, but at the end of the day its also a business and it makes good business sense to increase our media exposure. Not to mention, Rex is a players coach and profiling him and his relationship with the players could add some recruitment value in seasons moving forward, especially if we have a strong season next year.

• 1 month later...

@RyanTalbotBills

Are the Bills no longer the favorite to appear on Hard Knocks? http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1646536-bills-no-longer-hard-knocks-favorite

CcQN0p5W4AAwS0L.jpg

According to a report from Pro Football Talk, it appears that Buffalo may not be HBO's first choice. Mike Florio reported on Saturday that the New Orleans Saints are bracing themselves to be involuntarily chosen to appear on Hard Knocks.