Is Mario playing tomorrow or sitting?

TAinLack.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm most likely one of the old guys on this board, so I'm not sympathetic to Mario's complaints. I remember another 3-4 DE who dropped into pass coverage when he was asked to.........that was Bruce Smith. Instead of complaining about it to reporters, he worked on trying to improve his coverage skills and actually got pretty good at it for a 6-4 273 pound guy.

That's why Bruce is in the Hall Of Fame and why Mario won't be.

I also seem to remember that Mario was not on good terms with Houston before the Bills signed him, and was pretty vocal about it.

Anytime there's a coaching change on an NFL team, the new staff is going to implement the system that they think provides the best chance to win. If that means that designated pass rushers have to occasionally drop into coverage to confuse an opposing offense, then I don't see what the problem is. The way Mario is talking, you would think that they were asking him to play DB. Dropping D-linemen into coverage is a pretty common practice. It's done to confuse quarterbacks who would otherwise know exactly where a particular D-lineman is going to be on every play.

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I'm having a hard time understanding Mario's point of view. Rex has his faults, but ignoring players on defense isn't one of them.

I think Mario can be replaced without too much difficulty, so it's time to let him go. I hope that he's successful with his next team so long as it isn't in our division.

If Bills players are truly saying things like "we could have 5 guys contributing" for Mario's salary (as claimed in the PFT article) then it could explain why the defense has been so off.

Bad locker room chemistry.... One of your major star players causing problems behind the scenes.... It's not a formula for success.

I was happy to hear that Kyle would be back next season if he heals up. Give me 11 guys like Kyle Williams and I'll give you a defense that is twice as good on the field as on paper. Mario is the opposite, sadly.

(can't cut injured player) I looked in to this, not too sure this is accurate. Where are you getting this?

It's in the CBA. Failing reading through that, here's a decent explanation from LA Times writer Sam Farmer:

When a player gets hurt on the field or off the field, is his contract guaranteed? When so many players get hurt in training camp, are they then paid for the rest of the season?

Cary Spier, Santa Fe, N.M.

Farmer: An injured player gets paid for as long as he's unable to play, no matter what his contract says. A team can't release an injured player until he's cleared. For most rookie contracts (.deleted to minimize quote..). For most veterans....... It's whatever he's scheduled to earn. If a player gets hurt doing a football-related activity, he's covered, no matter when it happens. So if he tears his anterior cruciate ligament in a May minicamp, he's covered.

Edited by Hopeful

It's in the CBA. Failing reading through that, here's a decent explanation from LA Times writer Sam Farmer:

that is until the league ending year, per my understanding and it gets more complicated.

also, why would mario slow his release from the team to find the next employment due to an injury?

This a 100% The statement it would make would be huge. You quit on your team therefore the team will quit on you. Sit his ass.

Yea, sit him week 17. That'll show him. That'll show real discipline. Rex is a clown. Thanks for the 3 previous seasons,Mario.

Edited by Dopey

Why would they need to play him one snap. Can't you simply bench a player who isn't performing?

Looking at it from a symbolic standpoint.

But, yeah, Mario should have been sitting a while ago. I wonder if Carrington didn't get hurt Mario would have been sitting sooner. Definitely if Bills got Coples.

that is until the league ending year, per my understanding and it gets more complicated.

also, why would mario slow his release from the team to find the next employment due to an injury?

Mario has no reason to slow his release in order to find new employment, but if he should be injured significantly on Sunday, no other team is gonna want to open their checkbook for him

No, injury protection extends to the season following that in which the player is injured, provided he is unable to play in all or part of the last game of the season.

I can see you want a look at the horses mouth so here you go. It's section 45 on p 215 you want, and the actual devil impacting Mario is buried in section 2 "

"unless he has individually negotiated more injury protection or a larger guaranteed salary in his contract" which it is very highly probable, given Mario's red-carpet-sweetheart deal, he did.

I'm most likely one of the old guys on this board, so I'm not sympathetic to Mario's complaints. I remember another 3-4 DE who dropped into pass coverage when he was asked to.........that was Bruce Smith. Instead of complaining about it to reporters, he worked on trying to improve his coverage skills and actually got pretty good at it for a 6-4 273 pound guy.

That's why Bruce is in the Hall Of Fame and why Mario won't be.

I also seem to remember that Mario was not on good terms with Houston before the Bills signed him, and was pretty vocal about it.

Yep, This, all 3 points.

Although, I do feel there are points to Rex's fault in the shambles our team has become...lack of discipline showing in excess penalties, players scrambling into position just before the snap, my personal questions about the effectiveness of Rex's scheme, and so forth.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/01/unnamed-of-course-bill-mario-williams-has-totally-checked-out/

There is some pretty strong stuff in there. Of course, you can't be sure it's actually true but it does make sense.

Oh, I believe they found one guy who said those things. The unknown question IMO is "is that one guy or a pervaisive sentiment?" since others defended him.

I think he will play and play hard. After all, he is auditioning for other teams at this point.

If I were Rex I would make him watch from the bench.

You'd think so, but he's been "auditioning" all year. I guess it's time to show he CAN still play, if nothing else.