I am now a co owner in a tow truck company

Only if the hybrid gets less than 40 MPG.

Interesting that you would bring up the hybrid.....

We have had heavy rains the last couple of days.....I was talking to my partner and he said he loves it when it rains because when hybrids "spin out" there is something that happens that forces them to have to be towed tot he dealership.

Cant explain it fully......but something about the way that the car charges itself and spinning out.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that you would bring up the hybrid.....

We have had heavy rains the last couple of days.....I was talking to my partner and he said he loves it when it rains because when hybrids "spin out" there is something that happens that forces them to have to be towed tot he dealership.

Cant explain it fully......but something about the way that the car charges itself and spinning out.

I hope you and your partner have a nice Christmas!

Get in with some goons and find a good car crushing business that is willing to turn their heads.

If you think the FBI pays well, the mob pays even better. Plus you'll always have an outlet for your dead hookers.

:P

Won't you need some alternative options for employees? Is your daughter and the driver going to work every day, all year long? Seems like that business is 24/7, no? I know everything comes with time and money as the business expands, but your description makes it sound like only the absolute minimum are on board at the moment. That driver is going to be pretty stressed out after a few long days and middle of the night accident calls.

In the beginning it looks like the Tow Truck will run 24 hours......but the office for the impound yard will only be open during the day.

The business is going to end up having to expand pretty quickly as far as employees go because the business potential looks very high. At least another employee in the business office and in order to get on rotation with the CHP we need to add a flatbed to our fleet which means another driver.

I guess there is a nasty side to this business as it was explained to me today. Yes the Tow Truck driver will be towing in areas where vehicles are illegally parked so in essense that is in fact "stealing" cars. I guess this is a money making part of this business.

We would rather not do that but until we are self sustaining with the other services and tows its gonna happen. It is interesting that you have to notify the police within 15 minutes of towing a vehicle (and people have to be properly notified beforehand or it is considered auto theft)

I got my LLC through Legalzoom.com (it looks like you have already covered that). ...and I am thinking of using Quickbooks online.

Don't forget the "towing/impounding from private parking lots" market segment. You can make good money there, but you also need a thick skin because you'll be despised.

I got my LLC through Legalzoom.com (it looks like you have already covered that). ...and I am thinking of using Quickbooks online.

Don't forget the "towing/impounding from private parking lots" market segment. You can make good money there, but you also need a thick skin because you'll be despised.

Boater,

Same we got our LLC through Legalzoom and I am going to use quickbooks (there is a towing company software that all the insurance companies send their dispatches through that is cloud based called "towbook" and quickbooks is connected with this program. I will use this to track all the billing and expenses (which will be my job in the business)

Yes we have discussed this is not going to make us very comfy with the people we tow. Still some work to do to the tow yard before we actually start that aspect of the business.

• 2 months later...

So a little update on my tow company venture and wanted to get some opinions on something

- Still breathing......made over 7K the first month on our one used little old tow truck. We made that strictly off local tows, servicing rotary clubs, cash calls, etc

- We had to adjust our plans on our tow yard (which we had a lease for $1500 a month on a property. Our plan was to raise a fence and do PPI impounds to pay for the tow yard. The county came right as we were about to put up our fence and told us there would be a 30K "Conditional use permit" that we were gonna have to pay. We abandoned the tow yard and have been working out of my house.

Here is the issue

- We literally have to turn down anywhere from 3-5 calls a day because we have a "wheel lifft" tow truck and not a flatbed tow truck

- If we were not going to do PPI's (Which we cant yet because we dont have a yard to store) we would have probably bought the flatbed first

- The flatbed also opens up a whole different set of revenue as the rotary clubs that pay more (Geico/Ajuro/Allstate) will not work with you unless we have a flatbed

- We are also entering a car battery selling program (the only tow company in the area who does it) with Road America where we maintain and sell batteries. Doing this IF WE ALSO HAVE A FLATBED TRUCK) makes us a primary in the area for that rotary club

- Our business had to fight tooth and nail to get the inital loan we have of 17K which was used as startup for the company and included the wheel lift truck we have. The company that gave us the loan for that has no problem increasing the loan for a 18K flatbed truck. Bringing the amount owed on the loan up to 35K......terms for the loan are not great payment per month for both trucks will be 1500 per month.

- Projecting profits we think that adding the flatbed we think we can go anywhere from 7K to 10-12 K a month and that is being conservative.

We figure we can either

- Pay 5k a month on the 35K loan and have it paid 7 months (we have a agreement with a local tow company in place to be able to use their tow yard......we get the tow and they get to charge storage)

or

- Wait 6 months or so and refinance the loan to better terms.

Thoughts?

So a little update on my tow company venture and wanted to get some opinions on something

- Still breathing......made over 7K the first month on our one used little old tow truck. We made that strictly off local tows, servicing rotary clubs, cash calls, etc

- We had to adjust our plans on our tow yard (which we had a lease for $1500 a month on a property. Our plan was to raise a fence and do PPI impounds to pay for the tow yard. The county came right as we were about to put up our fence and told us there would be a 30K "Conditional use permit" that we were gonna have to pay. We abandoned the tow yard and have been working out of my house.

Here is the issue

- We literally have to turn down anywhere from 3-5 calls a day because we have a "wheel lifft" tow truck and not a flatbed tow truck

- If we were not going to do PPI's (Which we cant yet because we dont have a yard to store) we would have probably bought the flatbed first

- The flatbed also opens up a whole different set of revenue as the rotary clubs that pay more (Geico/Ajuro/Allstate) will not work with you unless we have a flatbed

- We are also entering a car battery selling program (the only tow company in the area who does it) with Road America where we maintain and sell batteries. Doing this IF WE ALSO HAVE A FLATBED TRUCK) makes us a primary in the area for that rotary club

- Our business had to fight tooth and nail to get the inital loan we have of 17K which was used as startup for the company and included the wheel lift truck we have. The company that gave us the loan for that has no problem increasing the loan for a 18K flatbed truck. Bringing the amount owed on the loan up to 35K......terms for the loan are not great payment per month for both trucks will be 1500 per month.

- Projecting profits we think that adding the flatbed we think we can go anywhere from 7K to 10-12 K a month and that is being conservative.

We figure we can either

- Pay 5k a month on the 35K loan and have it paid 7 months (we have a agreement with a local tow company in place to be able to use their tow yard......we get the tow and they get to charge storage)

or

Thoughts?

Honestly? I think if you have to ask for thoughts here, on the internet, you might be in over your head.

Here is the issue

We figure we can either

or

Thoughts?

Its seems that you are advancing well in your business. Hats off to you. :worthy: It seems that if you had a flat bed truck sooner you would be in a good position to more quickly generate business and revenue. Is there a way for you to get a lease on a flat bed with an option to buy or rent a truck so that you can secure more business sooner?

Edited by JohnC

Honestly? I think if you have to ask for thoughts here, on the internet, you might be in over your head.

LOL

Im asking for thoughts just to generate some conversation.....I pretty much know what I am going to do.

Its always nice to get opinions on things so I am not looking with horse blinders on things

Its seems that you are advancing well in your business. Hats off to you. :worthy: It seems that if you had a flat bed truck sooner you would be in a good position to more quickly generate business and revenue. Is there a way for you to get a lease on a flat bed with an option to buy or rent a truck so that you can secure more business sooner?

We have looked at those kinds of options.....

We have pretty much decided that we are gonna get the flat bed. This whole thing has been a real learning experience for me as I am one of those low risk...paycheck to paycheck thinking type of people.

One of the things that does feel good about this.....we had to make a serious pitch to get our first truck as everyone's credit was crap......I am coming out of a 5 year (which took 6 years chapter 13) bankruptsy.....so the word "credit' gives me a sick feeling to my stomach.

but....I have a extemely smart partner. He had rotary clubs on standby waiting for us to start up our business....so we actually did quite well in the first month for a start up business BUT....he did fib a bit....all these clubs really want you to have a flatbed and his pitch was basically that we had a flatbed coming but we really didnt....we are gonna save up cash and buy one outright.....problem now is the clubs are catching on that we only have the wrecker wheel lift because we have not been towing lowered cars.....

So...its basically expand or die now. We NEED the flatbed.

But....we have made 7.5 K in our first month....the place that financed our 1st truck was more then happy to extend credit for the 2nd one....so...$750 a month not becomes $1500 a month (once again.....buying on credit makes me queezy after 6 years of Chapter 13 BK. For me its not an ideal scenario but my partner points out that we could start seeing a decrease in revenue because of competition from other companies in the area that are more then willing to take out huge loans for their trucks.

We are gonna have our flatbead by the end of next week and have found a real promising possible 2nd driver.

LOL

Im asking for thoughts just to generate some conversation.....I pretty much know what I am going to do.

Its always nice to get opinions on things so I am not looking with horse blinders on things

Oh, okay.

I honestly was thinking "If he's looking for answers here, he needs to hire a business manager or accountant or something..." Other than that, I have no real advice.

No brainier to me. A flat bed with a wheel lift opens up another line of $$$. What happens if the little old truck goes down? You get a call from a auto club. Oh we can't tow our truck is down. You'll go down the list of reliability. You already put your oars in the water, do you want to row forever or drive a speed boat?

Edited by Hammered a Lot

I think I'd like to effortlessly drift on a lazy river ... always moving forward at a nice, enjoyable pace. A beer in one hand, leaving the other available to walk the dog at my leisure.

No brainier to me. A flat bed with a wheel lift opens up another line of $$$. What happens if the little old truck goes down? You get a call from a auto club. Oh we can't tow our truck is down. You'll go down the list of reliability. You already put your oars in the water, do you want to row forever or drive a speed boat?

Good thoughts Hammered.....thanks

I struggle with this because I suffer from "small time low risk" thinking......been doing it all my life till this venture. Yes that way of thinking is "safe"......but im tired of it.......

I mean....where did it get me? I still have had to go through bankruptsies due to small catasrophies in my life....