I am now a co owner in a tow truck company

Good thoughts Hammered.....thanks

I struggle with this because I suffer from "small time low risk" thinking......been doing it all my life till this venture. Yes that way of thinking is "safe"......but im tired of it.......

I mean....where did it get me? I still have had to go through bankruptsies due to small catasrophies in my life....

If you had an opportunity to buy a rental property with mostly borrowed money that enabled you to earn a rent that covered the mortgage and provide a respectable profit that you could use to build a nest egg to handle potential short term cash/flow issues then it would be a smart approach to take. In the rental example not only are you earning a profit but you are building an equity in the house that over time should go up, even with market fluctuations.

I've talked to a number of people who have left businesses to go off on their own. Universally, the response is finding quality people who will diligently work diligently for you is the biggest challenge. If you get good people working for you (even in your startup and small scale business) and you treat them well so that they will stay with you you will do well for yourself.

Don't let the prior bankruptcy spook you. Very often the market situation overwhelms people's efforts, no matter what they do. If you learned from your prior failed venture/s then you gained valuable experience.

Hammered offered you good advice. Be in a position up front to handle the jobs that are available. If you have a customer opportunity and are unable to handle it then you might have not only lost that business but you might have lost a potential long term customer who also who could have recommended you to others.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic