New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

That's not why they were honoring him and you know it

Then why don't you tell us why

I don't really see the similarities between the Revolution against a monarchy three thousand miles away and the slave holders rebellion that attempted to destroy our country

Slaves weren't the reason for the civil war.

In that note, many of the more influential colonists leading the rebellion were slave owners themselves.

In that note, many of the more influential colonists leading the rebellion were slave owners themselves.

Slavery was the reason for the South's secession and the American colonists did not separate to preserve slavery

Oh, and Lee's victories in the slave holders rebellion was the reason he was honored. Tom's argument that it was because of his role in the US army is stupid

• Haha (+1) 1

Slavery was the reason for the South's secession and the American colonists did not separate to preserve slavery

Oh, and Lee's victories in the slave holders rebellion was the reason he was honored. Tom's argument that it was because of his role in the US army is stupid

Yes. Toms argument is so stupid West Point named barracks after Lee in the 1960s for his service in the US army.

Again, it's one thing to be ignorant of history, it's another to be a dumbass.

My argument was that Lee WAS NOT TRASH, you !@#$ing idiot.

It had never occurred to me to liken the removal of 'offensive' American historical monuments to the radical Islamists' removal of 'offensive' non-Muslim monuments. This is an excellent point, and I would be fascinated to see any logical counter to that argument.

Cheers! :beer:

likely never occurred to you because it's ridiculous. no one is destroying history. new Orleans and Charleston have just finally realized that only a very small minority of americans feel it defensible to celebrate a traitorous, shameful part of our history. the evbidence remains in honorable places like the Lincoln monument and the Smithsonian. no one is closing down confederate museums. no one has made confederate symbolism illegal. what they've done is remove them from sanctioned government spaces. it's long overdue.

maybe someone should have told Abraham Lincoln and the vast majority of civil war scholars. the revisionist historians have lost. the lost cause is just that.

maybe someone should have told Abraham Lincoln and the vast majority of civil war scholars. the revisionist historians have lost. the lost cause is just that.

The Civil War scholars are working with the climate change scientists, or that's what I've been told B-)

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't really see the similarities between the Revolution against a monarchy three thousand miles away and the slave holders rebellion that attempted to destroy our country

The colonies rebelled against the crown and sought independence. The Confederacy rebelled against the US and sought independence.

likely never occurred to you because it's ridiculous. no one is destroying history. new Orleans and Charleston have just finally realized that only a very small minority of americans feel it defensible to celebrate a traitorous, shameful part of our history. the evbidence remains in honorable places like the Lincoln monument and the Smithsonian. no one is closing down confederate museums. no one has made confederate symbolism illegal. what they've done is remove them from sanctioned government spaces. it's long overdue.

It's not a ridiculous comparison by any stretch. The PC crowd (which has gone off the reservation whether you sit on the right or the left of the political spectrum) wants to whitewash away any history that's uncomfortable. ISIS wants to white wash any history that isn't Islamic. I have no problem with moving monuments to museums and off of public owned land, that's not the same thing as destroying monuments. Yet, what Gator is suggesting is exactly what ISIS is doing all throughout the middle east. That he doesn't see the parallels only shows his ignorance.

It's shameful. Erasing history doesn't change it, it only changes how much we can learn from past mistakes... dooming us to repeat them.

Ok, not trash, but his statue should still be trashed IMO

Edited by Deranged Rhino

That's pretty weak. I never said anyone was actually trying to destroy history. You don't seem to be able to see a connection in the logic of PC America's cries to tear that thing down because it offends me and the radical Islamists' cries to tear that thing down because it offends me.

That's pretty weak. I never said anyone was actually trying to destroy history. You don't seem to be able to see a connection in the logic of PC America's cries to tear that thing down because it offends me and the radical Islamists' cries to tear that thing down because it offends me.

I see the connection. it's called a slippery slope and it's described in the fallacy link I recently posted. civil war history is alive and well. civil war memorabilia is present in abundance. there is no existential threat. pc America's claims are amply countered by racists hate groups. fear not.

It's not a ridiculous comparison by any stretch. The PC crowd (which has gone off the reservation whether you sit on the right or the left of the political spectrum) wants to whitewash away any history that's uncomfortable. ISIS wants to white wash any history that isn't Islamic. I have no problem with moving monuments to museums and off of public owned land, that's not the same thing as destroying monuments. Yet, what Gator is suggesting is exactly what ISIS is doing all throughout the middle east. That he doesn't see the parallels only shows his ignorance.

It's shameful. Erasing history doesn't change it, it only changes how much we can learn from past mistakes... dooming us to repeat them.

no one is erasing history. the Gettysburg address and the emancipation proclamation are etched into stone at the Lincoln memorial. no doubt some obscure contemporary confederate documents are as well in some lost cause museum. there are still confederate apologists writing books. amazon has plenty. no one is removing them for sale or circulation. I suspect that multiple books supporting the lost cause idea are available in both of our local public libraries.

so your contention is that the confederate memorials are being removed because they lost the civil war? you guys are embarrassing yourselves.

It helps to read all the responses,

they were responding to bizrul's silliness in reply #7