This would be a really good week for this Defense to start

did you watch the game or did you just look at the final score which obviously doesnt tell the entire story of how the defense actually played

Of course I did. Of course I was enraged by the yards given up. Of course I couldn't believe the crappy tackling. And of course I would be thrilled if they gave up 400 yards and 17 points every game. We would be about 14-2 and host a playoff game.

did you watch the game or did you just look at the final score which obviously doesnt tell the entire story of how the defense actually played

I watched the game. The defense was abysmal in spurts. But mostly stout.

This has been the story all season.

Not consistently stout. Not consistently abysmal.

More stout than abysmal.

Result: statically average across the board.

True. But also one that couldn't stop 2-6 Jacksonville scoring in the last minute, when it counted

True. Although they got hosed. And without EJs 5 minute meltdown they probably would have given up 17 points in that game too.

So then he should play 38 yards back. Come on man. Football is a game of inches. That's a whole 2 yards lost there. Bruh.

I figured he'd want to catch it on the run like a KO

If there's one thing I've learned about football in my decades of watching it's that "bend, don't break" defenses don't work due to their passive nature. Aggressive defenses, on the other hand, tend to give up more big plays but also cause more turnovers and negative plays in return. When you play "bend, don't break" you're implicitly asking your offense to carry you. On this team, I think that's unwise.

Walt Corey was famous for the bend don't break defense during the Bills Superbowl era.

Yeah. I posted this on one of the other threads.

For the love of Buffalo, Do not lose this game to F$tzpatrick!

M. Williams, Dareus and Hughes need to on their game tonight. Hughes showed up last week, lets hope the other two get going. The LBs have to play to.

I watched the game. The defense was abysmal in spurts. But mostly stout.

This has been the story all season.

Not consistently stout. Not consistently abysmal.

More stout than abysmal.

Result: statically average across the board.

mostly stout? i think you have it backwards, they looked stout at times but were mostly abysmal

Edited by Max997

mostly stout? i think you have it backwards, they looked stout at times but were mostly abysmal

Come on, man. If they were mostly abysmal the stats/losses would bear that out.

In one of the four losses, the offense gave the opposition 14 points. In other loss (NYG), the defense was stout just about the entire game.

They have been very solid most of the year with a few terribly inopportune lapses, the gravity of which has fans (like you) believing they've been consistently bad.

That's simply not true.

Of course I did. Of course I was enraged by the yards given up. Of course I couldn't believe the crappy tackling. And of course I would be thrilled if they gave up 400 yards and 17 points every game. We would be about 14-2 and host a playoff game.

the point is the defense did not play well and more often than not a defense will give up more than 17 points when allowing 400 yards

Rex's defense is not considered a bend but dont break defense but thats basically what they are now which is not what any of us expected

Come on, man. If they were mostly abysmal the stats/losses would bear that out.

In one of the four losses, the offense gave the opposition 14 points. In other loss (NYG), the defense was stout just about the entire game.

They have been very solid most of the year with a few terribly inopportune lapses, the gravity of which has fans (like you) believing they've been consistently bad.

That's simply not true.

i was referring to the Dolphins game specifically and thought you were talking about the same

if your comment was about the entire season i would say they have been stout at times and abysmal others but more often than not have been average

i dont see how anyone who has watched every game can say this defense has been mostly stout bc that simply has not been the case

Edited by Max997

I just wish Preston Brown could be moved to OLB and have Nigel play middle. A simple change like that I think can make our defense scary.

Nigel has the smarts for it and is a bigger hitter imo than Preston is.

Actually....its exactly the opposite

Bradham is a dumb as box of rocks.....but hits like a truck

the point is the defense did not play well and more often than not a defense will give up more than 17 points when allowing 400 yards

Rex's defense is not considered a bend but dont break defense but thats basically what they are now which is not what any of us expected

The defense also made an awesome goal line stand on fourth down. The defense also made a fantastic strip sack turnover in enemy territory. The defense also gave up a couple long plays on missed tackles that skewed stats. You have to take the good with the bad. If you had a game where they got six sacks and not a lot of yards but gave up 30 points you wouldn't ignore the points.

I just wish Preston Brown could be moved to OLB and have Nigel play middle. A simple change like that I think can make our defense scary.

Nigel has the smarts for it and is a bigger hitter imo than Preston is.

I also prefer Preston Brown at OLB but dont think Nigel can play the middle

The defense also made an awesome goal line stand on fourth down. The defense also made a fantastic strip sack turnover in enemy territory. The defense also gave up a couple long plays on missed tackles that skewed stats. You have to take the good with the bad. If you had a game where they got six sacks and not a lot of yards but gave up 30 points you wouldn't ignore the points.

im not ignoring the points but to say they played well just bc they only gave up 17 points just isnt true

back to my original point, i thought this was the week they would bounce back and start looking like the defnese we all envisioned and what they were last year but i am now convinced what we have seen so far is what this defense is now and what we are going to see the rest of the year

I also prefer Preston Brown at OLB but dont think Nigel can play the middle

im not ignoring the points but to say they played well just bc they only gave up 17 points just isnt true

back to my original point, i thought this was the week they would bounce back and start looking like the defnese we all envisioned and what they were last year but i am now convinced what we have seen so far is what this defense is now and what we are going to see the rest of the year

Good thing we closed the book on this defense after half a season! :nana: