The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

Why? Isn't that the heart of the issues in this thread?

Don't bother.

Gator does not understand issues, he feels them.

and he attacks whoever hurts his feelings.

What do you call it when the KKK goes after Mizzou students?

Dem on Dem violence

"Free speech is a white supremacist dodge" is an absolutely classic example of writing for the already convinced instead of changing minds.

Don't bother.

Gator does not understand issues, he feels them.

and he attacks whoever hurts his feelings.

Me? Ha ha ha, you are the one that only "understands" an issue if there is a right wing propaganda cartoon, fluff piece or insidious screed created for you to figure out what to think.

Seriously, you are the worst partisan, uninformed and low information hack this board has to offer. Sure, LAbarf and 3rdthing are idiots also, but I don't know anyone that eats propaganda for breakfast, lunch and dinner like you. You need to be told what to think

Me? Ha ha ha, you are the one that only "understands" an issue if there is a right wing propaganda cartoon, fluff piece or insidious screed created for you to figure out what to think.

Seriously, you are the worst partisan, uninformed and low information hack this board has to offer. Sure, LAbarf and 3rdthing are idiots also, but I don't know anyone that eats propaganda for breakfast, lunch and dinner like you. You need to be told what to think

I am honored to meet your disapproval, but disappointed that I have to play second fiddle to B-Man. Telling him that he needs to be told what to think was a nice touch though. I forget, is it a Range Rover or Land Rover that you are working towards?

I am honored to meet your disapproval, but disappointed that I have to play second fiddle to B-Man. Telling him that he needs to be told what to think was a nice touch though. I forget, is it a Range Rover or Land Rover that you are working towards?

Are they both 4x4's?

From a Yale student

http://qz.com/546403/yale-student-protests/

I just post, you decide. Not saying I agree or disagree

You should.

A President taking a handful of days to write letter is not indicative of systemic racism. This crap is so overblown and shoved under the umbrella of systemic racism.

A bunch of white frat bros hold a racist party. An idiot draws a swastika a year ago. The students are (direct quote) forced to reschedule a forum (end quote). And the President writes a letter to the student body by Friday. This instant gratification crap is ridiculous.

The President declined to comment on the frat party 2 days after it happened. Maybe he's waiting for confirmation, or the freaking investigation the school organized. What is his comment going to do?

The day after the protest, the President wrote the letter to the student body. Is that not fast enough? Do these people of color think that racists are gonna read the letter and decide to stop being racist?

This is a protest because the President didn't posture quickly enough. Who cares if it does nothing? Who cares if it's irrelevant? As long as someone responds quick. Dumb dumb dumb.

Edited by FireChan

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/can-we-take-political-correctness-seriously-now.html#

Can We Start Taking Political Correctness Seriously Now?

By Jonathan Chait

FTA:

The upsurge of political correctness is not just greasy-kid stuff, and it’s not just a bunch of weird, unfortunate events that somehow keep happening over and over. It’s the expression of a political culture with consistent norms, and philosophical premises that happen to be incompatible with liberalism. The reason every Marxist government in the history of the world turned massively repressive is not because they all had the misfortune of being hijacked by murderous thugs. It’s that the ideology itself prioritizes class justice over individual rights and makes no allowance for legitimate disagreement. (For those inclined to defend p.c. on the grounds that racism and sexism are important, bear in mind that the forms of repression Marxist government set out to eradicate were hardly imaginary.)

. . . That these activists have been able to prevail, even in the face of frequently harsh national publicity highlighting the blunt illiberalism of their methods, confirms that these incidents reflect something deeper than a series of one-off episodes. They are carrying out the ideals of a movement that regards the delegitimization of dissent as a first-order goal. People on the left need to stop evading the question of political correctness — by laughing it off as college goofs, or interrogating the motives of p.c. critics, or ignoring it — and make a decision on whether they agree with it.

The impulse toward what Chait here calls delegitimization was fine for a long time when it consisted mainly of nice white liberals such as Chait screaming “racist” every time they lost an argument to a conservative. Now that it is being used to tell white men such as Chait to pipe down, it’s a problem.

Strange, that.

Edited by B-Man

From a Yale student

http://qz.com/546403/yale-student-protests/

I just post, you decide. Not saying I agree or disagree

"It saddens me that this has gotten to the point where people feel like they have to take sides. We should all strive for a future where, at the very least, people feel physically safe and confident in their own humanity. Let’s focus on the goals we share, not the unproductive debates that divide us"

No, sorry. I don't share the goal of intimidation and stifling of freedoms of speech and association in the name of making people feel good about themselves.

No, sorry. I don't share the goal of intimidation and stifling of freedoms of speech and association in the name of making people feel good about themselves.

I do...as long as it's my people. Everyone else can shut the !@#$ up.

Well at least someone's out there representing the Pedantic Anal Orifices of the world :P

You think white privilege is bad? You should see the perks the Pedantic Supercilious Anal Orifice lobby gets.

But !@#$ 'em all. The meek ain't inheriting the earth while they're cowering in their safe zones fretting over trigger warnings.

You think white privilege is bad? You should see the perks the Pedantic Supercilious Anal Orifice lobby gets.

But !@#$ 'em all. The meek ain't inheriting the earth while they're cowering in their safe zones fretting over trigger warnings.

I forgot Supercilious. I sincerely apologize for my insensitivity.

I forgot Supercilious. I sincerely apologize for my insensitivity.

It's clear that the only solution to your oppression is for Beerball to resign his moderator position and for SDS to increase the number of pedantic supercilious anal orifices on the board by 10% before next season.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mizzou-student-vp-1st-amendment-creates-hostile-and-unsafe-learning-environment/

“I personally am tired of hearing that First Amendment rights protect students when they are creating a hostile and unsafe learning environment for myself and for other students here. I think that it’s important for us to create that distinction and create a space where we can all learn from one another and start to create a place of healing rather than a place where we are experiencing a lot of hate like we have in the past.”

I was just thinking this morning that in not too long we'll see people demanding that the Constitution come with trigger warnings.

But I really thought it wouldn't be for a few years, and would involve the Second Amendment, not the First.