The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

1. I've been laughing at "white privilege" never seeming to apply to winning football coaches for as long as it's been coming from college campuses. For that matter, any white male professor, who is nationally recognized...seems to beat his privilege charges...consistently. Where is the justice? Why is is that college coaching, in more sports than just football, is allowed to be dominated by white males? Why is it that no white male professsor has ever been convicted of white privilege?

2. Privilege? Or proper, daily execution of long term plans? Here's the norm: People spend from birth to their 25-30s working hard, buiiding careers from scratch, then, they get married and have kids. Those kids are raised right, and the parents continue to achieve at work, such that by the time their kids are ready to go to college/trade school/start a new company, they can pay for it, and, the kids are prepared for it. Not only that, but the parents now have assets they've created and maintained through careful stewardship. All of this took hard work, and proper planning. Nobody, not parents, not kids, got anything they didn't earn. So, where is the privelege? When the parents die, they pass on their assets to their kids, as they PLANNED to all along. The kids arlready have their careers because they were raised right, and work hard now, and now they have kids.

Once again, privilege, or, intentional, proper planning coupled with hard work? How about we call this: having very a very effective culture, based on sound values.

How about we call the people deriding all this out for what they have: a terrible culture based on terrible values, such as mass irresponsibility, violence as the primary means to solve problems, abuse of women, abondonment of children, and when not abandoned, those children face selfish apathy at home. Those kids fail on purpose, so that they can get 2 sure meals a day at summer school...

...and in the face of that reality, I'm supposed to be focused on "white privelge"? :blink: Where exactly do the problems lie, and how shall we define them? Hint: we have to define problems properly BEFORE we set about solving them. How about we start with: demonstrable advancement through hard work is never part of the problem, it's always part of the solution?

Best thing about an Ithaca diploma? It doubles as a handicap parking sticker.

MIZZOU PROFESSOR RESIGNS FOLLOWING OUTRAGE OVER HIS REFUSAL TO CANCEL EXAM: As Ace adds, So, the woman who called for muscle to push around a reporter did not resign (she resigned her courtesy appointment at the journalism school, but not her steady gig at the communications school), but this guy did:

Read the whole thing.

Update: Where does the witch hunt end?

It's sad how ridiculous things are getting.

What is the purpose of not accepting his resignation though? Do they just want to be able to fire him?

This is the endgame, folks. Re segregation of the races by the LEFT.

RvWJzQJB_bigger.pngTheBlaze@theblaze 1h1 hour ago

Mizzou demonstrators segregate white allies to form "black only healing space" http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/11/mizzou-demonstrators-segregate-white-allies-to-form-black-only-healing-space/ pic.twitter.com/syckrD3OPt

CTkkwXuXAAAGk7s.jpg

LACK OF SELF-AWARENESS ALERT

Does anybody have schoolwork to do any more?

No. The exams have been canceled and the instructors have resigned, because *safe space*

Not that it matters though, because merit based outcomes have been replaced with feelings about how outcomes might have differed without triggering.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

This is the endgame, folks. Re segregation of the races by the LEFT.

LACK OF SELF-AWARENESS ALERT

That's not new. When I was in college, minority students had their own "separate but equal" spaces where I wasn't allowed. That was - what, 30 or so years ago?

Does anybody have schoolwork to do any more?

And just think...in 5-10 years, these are the people who'll be bitching about their student loans being unfair.

Can someone summarize the beginnings of this? I heard:

Some guy in a pickup truck called a black guy a bad word. Nobody was around to see it. Nobody knows if the pickup truck guy was a student or anyone having anything to do with the school.

University president resigns under pressure.

I have to be missing something here.

I hate the word that was used against this student a lot. I hate it. With that said I don't see the connection to the University President. Were some sort of demands made that went unmet? What was asked for? Ban pickup trucks from campus? I mean how could anything have been done when nobody knew who the culprit was to begin with? If this is truly a more widespread problem at Mizzou, the people pointing it out should be commended, but only after giving organized and tangible examples that can be acted upon. If it is an isolated incident with some dude in a pickup truck then what could possibly be done? If the same thing happened in a 7-11 parking lot should 7-11's CEO resign?

Some guy in a pickup truck called a black guy a bad word. Nobody was around to see it. Nobody knows if the pickup truck guy was a student or anyone having anything to do with the school.

I hate the word that was used against this student a lot. I hate it. With that said I don't see the connection to the University President. Were some sort of demands made that went unmet? What was asked for? Ban pickup trucks from campus? I mean how could anything have been done when nobody knew who the culprit was to begin with? If this is truly a more widespread problem at Mizzou, the people pointing it out should be commended, but only after giving organized and tangible examples that can be acted upon. If it is an isolated incident with some dude in a pickup truck then what could possibly be done? If the same thing happened in a 7-11 parking lot should 7-11's CEO resign?

There was another black student called the n word two months prior to this.

Here's the full list of incidents:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/09/the-incidents-that-led-to-the-university-of-missouri-presidents-resignation/

If you don't follow the link, some black students were called the n-word by a drunk white guy in October. And the Student Body President was also called the n-word by a group of white kids in a pickup in September. And back in April some moron drew a swatstika in a stairwell, was promptly caught and plead guilty.

Then, this group issued "demands" to Tim Wolfe, the University President. Some of them are wacky. The highlights.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mizzou-football/heres-list-demands-mizzous-protesting-athletes-students/

a new amendment to thd UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

We demand that by the academic year 2017-18, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff members campus-wide by 10 percent.

In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exits, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-0 demands.

It felt like something was missing from the story for me too. Maybe the President was ignoring the protests or something? Even still.

Now I'm going to climb up on my soapbox here. These n-word incidents, while reprehensible, do not seem to indicative of systematic oppression. How many times does this happen around the country? Even with all our race training and other measures. It may be time to recognize that racist !@#$s are always going to be racist !@#$s. Mizzou teachers aren't teaching kids to be racist. The President doesn't seem to be condoning racism. Why do they go after these people? It boggles my mind.

Furthermore, I fear this will actually accentuate racist tendencies. I fear that things like this, which will get played out in the media, will add "fuel" for racism.

Edited by FireChan

there was some sort of assembly after the incident and supposed repeated altercations of whites vs. minorities. at some point the president is confronted on this and doesn't say much, 12% of state population is black, 8% of student body is black. said it wasn't fair.

eventually, a group of students blocked the presidents car and he refused to exit or acknowledge them. police removed the group, this enraged everyone protesting so they got more angry.

yeahhhh makes no sense.

That's not new. When I was in college, minority students had their own "separate but equal" spaces where I wasn't allowed. That was - what, 30 or so years ago?

And just think...in 5-10 years, these are the people who'll be bitching about their student loans being unfair.

No no, someone who works and pays off their student loans by getting a degree that actually gets them a job will get his privilege checked, and have to pay his fair share to eliminate some Gender Studies graduate's debt.

That's what I asked on Monday, and it turns out, yup that's it.

Clay Travis writes about this so perfectly IMO:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/is-the-entire-mizzou-protest-based-on-lies-111115

This got me thinking. What if Bernie Sanders is elected. Highly unlikely but he's not the only one talking about this. But let's say they make college education "free". What about the over $1T in current student loan debt. I can see people demanding that be forgiven. Damn I hate the word demand.

This got me thinking. What if Bernie Sanders is elected. Highly unlikely but he's not the only one talking about this. But let's say they make college education "free". What about the over $1T in current student loan debt. I can see people demanding that be forgiven. Damn I hate the word demand.

Have the government take them up and it would be like a tax cuts that will increase consumer spending and accelerate economic growth

Have the government take them up and it would be like a tax cuts that will increase consumer spending and accelerate economic growth

:lol: Edit: that would be my luck, after decades and being SO close to paying the loans off.

Edited by joesixpack

Campus Commotions Show We’re Raising Fragile Kids
by Jonah Goldberg
FTA:
So what is going on?
Well, a lot. Many conservatives want to put all the blame on political correctness or cultural Marxism. And though I think such ideologies certainly belong in the dock, political correctness is now quite old. Lamentations about it were commonplace when I was in college 25 years ago. Does anyone, other than a few campus hotheads, actually believe universities are more intolerant, bigoted, and racist than they were a generation ago?

What has changed are the students. Yes, there has been a lot of ideological indoctrination in which kids are taught that taking offense gives them power. But, again, that idea is old. What’s new is the way kids are being raised. Consider play. Children are hardwired to play. That’s how we learn. But what happens when play is micro-managed? St. Lawrence University professor Steven Horwitz argues that it undermines democracy.
Free play — tag in the schoolyard, pickup basketball at the park, etc. — is a very complicated thing. It requires young people to negotiate rules among themselves, without the benefit of some third-party authority figure. These skills are hugely important in life. When parents or teachers short-circuit that process by constantly intervening to stop bullying or just to make sure that everyone plays nice, Horwitz argues, “we are taking away a key piece of what makes it possible for free people to be peaceful, cooperative people by devising bottom-up solutions to a variety of conflicts.”

The rise in “helicopter parenting” and the epidemic of “everyone gets a trophy” education are another facet of the same problem. We’re raising millions of kids to be smart and kind, but also fragile.
And what happens when large numbers of these delicate little flowers are set free to navigate their way through life? They feel unsafe and demand “safe spaces.” They feel threatened by uncomfortable ideas and demand “trigger warnings.” They might even want written rules or contracts to help them negotiate sexual relations.
In other words, this is the generation the mandarins of political correctness have been waiting for.

:lol: Edit: that would be my luck, after decades and being SO close to paying the loans off.

Should have been like me and joined the military. I LOVED the GI Bill!!

Campus Commotions Show We’re Raising Fragile Kids
by Jonah Goldberg
FTA:
So what is going on?
Well, a lot. Many conservatives want to put all the blame on political correctness or cultural Marxism. And though I think such ideologies certainly belong in the dock, political correctness is now quite old. Lamentations about it were commonplace when I was in college 25 years ago. Does anyone, other than a few campus hotheads, actually believe universities are more intolerant, bigoted, and racist than they were a generation ago?

What has changed are the students. Yes, there has been a lot of ideological indoctrination in which kids are taught that taking offense gives them power. But, again, that idea is old. What’s new is the way kids are being raised. Consider play. Children are hardwired to play. That’s how we learn. But what happens when play is micro-managed? St. Lawrence University professor Steven Horwitz argues that it undermines democracy.
Free play — tag in the schoolyard, pickup basketball at the park, etc. — is a very complicated thing. It requires young people to negotiate rules among themselves, without the benefit of some third-party authority figure. These skills are hugely important in life. When parents or teachers short-circuit that process by constantly intervening to stop bullying or just to make sure that everyone plays nice, Horwitz argues, “we are taking away a key piece of what makes it possible for free people to be peaceful, cooperative people by devising bottom-up solutions to a variety of conflicts.”

The rise in “helicopter parenting” and the epidemic of “everyone gets a trophy” education are another facet of the same problem. We’re raising millions of kids to be smart and kind, but also fragile.

And what happens when large numbers of these delicate little flowers are set free to navigate their way through life? They feel unsafe and demand “safe spaces.” They feel threatened by uncomfortable ideas and demand “trigger warnings.” They might even want written rules or contracts to help them negotiate sexual relations.
In other words, this is the generation the mandarins of political correctness have been waiting for.

This should be a topic on its own. Start a new thread