The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

:wallbash:The term "owner" is evidently racist and the NBA is looking to  move away from using it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-teams-reportedly-considering-moving-away-from-the-term-owner-after-draymond-greens-comments/

Oh just stop!  So the company I work for is racist because we have an owner?  They own the team not the players you dumbasses. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

How is saying "it's cool" different than saying "it sucks"?  Either way your opinion is being stated as a fact.

Too much....

4 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

The East German Olympic team shall rise again!

Steroided women are no match for a man

17 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

How is saying "it's cool" different than saying "it sucks"?  Either way your opinion is being stated as a fact.

Actually, if you look back, my first response was "To each his own".  Nevertheless he persisted.  So I responded on the idiocy of saying some music sucks just because you don't like it.

The term "cool" is never a fact unless it's regarding temperature and even then how cool is cool?  Strictly an opinion.

To each his/her own.

24 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Actually, if you look back, my first response was "To each his own".  Nevertheless he persisted.  So I responded on the idiocy of saying some music sucks just because you don't like it.

The term "cool" is never a fact unless it's regarding temperature and even then how cool is cool?  Strictly an opinion.

To each his/her own.

Is this your "hot takes" on the subject?

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

And I pointed out that Sussudio objectively sucks.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And I pointed out that Sussudio objectively sucks.  

How so? What "objectively" makes it so? There's gotta be a reason , right?  Is it the chord progression? Was one of the trumpet players out of tune?  Drummer was rushing?  bass plAyer played wrong notes?  Stole the feel from Ghost Busters?  Help me out here.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And Red Rover hearkens back to recapturing escaped slaves on the Underground Railroad.  Don't even get me started on how Duck Duck Goose mocks Native American genocide.

In parts of Minnesota it's called Duck Duck Gray Duck.

I don't know if that makes it more or less racist.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

How so? What "objectively" makes it so? There's gotta be a reason , right?  Is it the chord progression? Was one of the trumpet players out of tune?  Drummer was rushing?  bass plAyer played wrong notes?  Stole the feel from Ghost Busters?  Help me out here.

It’s a mediocre song with a made up name manipulated into a catchy hook that’s about a stalker.....and I like Phil Collins (my opinion and light stalking was glorified at that time)

Edited by Kevbeau
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

:wallbash:The term "owner" is evidently racist and the NBA is looking to  move away from using it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-teams-reportedly-considering-moving-away-from-the-term-owner-after-draymond-greens-comments/

I remember when Cuban called him out on him and got some Big Ten ribbing in, as well.  Saying that if he had gone to Indian'a's biz school instead of MSU's, he would understand equity..................And, then I watched Green's press conference where he said "I understand equity!" and within two minutes had said something so stupid that it was clear he didn't understand equity at all.  

3 hours ago, bbb said:

I remember when Cuban called him out on him and got some Big Ten ribbing in, as well.  Saying that if he had gone to Indian'a's biz school instead of MSU's, he would understand equity..................And, then I watched Green's press conference where he said "I understand equity!" and within two minutes had said something so stupid that it was clear he didn't understand equity at all.  

Equity has been a wildly misused term lately. 

Equity is the difference between what you have and what you owe.   Essentially it's what you earned and kept.  That's why it's nothing close to the recent usage by Green. 

It is not a derivative of equality.  But because it sounds similar, stupid people adopted it.  

3 hours ago, GG said:

Equity has been a wildly misused term lately. 

Equity is the difference between what you have and what you owe.   Essentially it's what you earned and kept.  That's why it's nothing close to the recent usage by Green. 

It is not a derivative of equality.  But because it sounds similar, stupid people adopted it.  

what are you, like 8 years old?

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

what are you, like 8 years old?

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Thanks Lewis.  Now tell me how the word 'equity' has been properly applied in race discussions.

15 minutes ago, GG said:

Thanks Lewis.  Now tell me how the word 'equity' has been properly applied in race discussions.

This is the only time i can recall the serious (mis???) use of the term "equity" in race discussions...

"However, if we are going to ask those who receive benefits to sacrifice their must be equity in sacrifice. Equity in sacrifice. That idea says that we will sacrifice for growth, but that everybody must join in the sacrifice, not just a few -- everybody. Equity in sacrifice means that all will sacrifice equally...equally...equally. That is, the person who is retired on a fixed income, the day laborer, the corporate executive, the college professor, the Member of Congress -- all must sacrifice for equity."

Barbara Jordan's keynote address at some Dem Convention

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

the only time i can recall the term "equity" used in this way was about 50 times by Barbara Jordan during her keynote at a Dem Convention

Then stay out of the conversation, because the term "equity" has been a constant presence in race conversations propaganda in the US for the last 3 years.