The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

I find it interesting when this whole bit of equal pay and equal representation comes up in fields like upper management and CEOs and movie directors etc.  Yet 95% of truck drivers are men and no one cares about equality there.  Same in the construction field. 

Similar to in the IT field.  I have worked in it my whole career.  When I first started, 1/2 of the students in college were female and many were really good.  When I started working many computer jobs were held by women.  Now it's mostly management, project owners, project managers, and scrum masters that are women.  The CEO of my company told me they want to hire women but can't find many.

I asked my Mother-in-law about this once who worked in HR at DEC,  She said at first the women wanted to do what they men do.  They wanted to "carry a bag" which was the euphemism for going on site and fixing the boxes.  Then she said it became where they all wanted to manage the guys that carry bags.

I think women can do all of these things but in a lot of cases choose not to.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I find it interesting when this whole bit of equal pay and equal representation comes up in fields like upper management and CEOs and movie directors etc.  Yet 95% of truck drivers are men and no one cares about equality there.  Same in the construction field. 

Similar to in the IT field.  I have worked in it my whole career.  When I first started, 1/2 of the students in college were female and many were really good.  When I started working many computer jobs were held by women.  Now it's mostly management, project owners, project managers, and scrum masters that are women.  The CEO of my company told me they want to hire women but can't find many.

I asked my Mother-in-law about this once who worked in HR at DEC,  She said at first the women wanted to do what they men do.  They wanted to "carry a bag" which was the euphemism for going on site and fixing the boxes.  Then she said it became where they all wanted to manage the guys that carry bags.

are you saying they don't want to do the dirty work/get their hands dirty?

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

not just women, but millennial snowflakes

some folks just want the cushy desk job where they sit in meetings all day or hit the F5 button every hour.  give them a ladder and a drill, and tell them to run cable thru some dusty attic or cramped crawl space and they begin to reconsider their career choice

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Foxx said:

No.  It's just an observation.

My own opinion on it that men and women are different. Their brains work different.  Their motivations are different.   This has a whole lot more to do with why 95% of truck drivers are men whereas 98% of kindergarten teachers are women than society programming them that way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

LOL at the concept that "meetings all day" is a cushy desk job

in some respects, beats crawling around in a dusty attic or cramped crawlspace all day/everyday. me however, i'd much rather do the dirty work than do a woman's job at a cushy desk job any day of the week.

11 minutes ago, Foxx said:

in some respects, beats crawling around in a dusty attic or cramped crawlspace all day/everyday. me however, i'd much rather do the dirty work than do a woman's job at a cushy desk job any day of the week.

i turned down a duct-cleaning job, took me a decade before honesty taking home more money in accounting.

when i have meetings it means they put my head in an orange-strainer and get all the juice out of me, i'm grateful with 12 hours notice...

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i turned down a duct-cleaning job, took me a decade before honesty taking home more money in accounting.

when i have meetings it means they put my head in an orange-strainer and get all the juice out of me, i'm grateful with 12 hours notice...

i've no need to go to the gym, i get my daily exercise at work, all day, everyday. the one draw back is that it is a young man's game and no one i know is getting any younger, 'specially not me. i can still do back flips with stilts on though ;) 

13 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i've no need to go to the gym, i get my daily exercise at work, all day, everyday. the one draw back is that it is a young man's game and no one i know is getting any younger, 'specially not me. i can still do back flips with stilts on though ;) 

i hear you, there's good and bad in most jobs

in accounting they never can leave and usually croak a month after being sent home

39 minutes ago, row_33 said:

LOL at the concept that "meetings all day" is a cushy desk job

Someone has far to high an opinion of his own efforts and importance.

If you’re valuable and working to your capacity, your job isn’t “cushy” (larger “you”), but you’re not a coal miner.  You’re not a roofer.  You’re not on your knees laying cement.

15 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Someone has far to high an opinion of his own efforts and importance.

If you’re valuable and working to your capacity, your job isn’t “cushy” (larger “you”), but you’re not a coal miner.  You’re not a roofer.  You’re not on your knees laying cement.

I know which variation of "to" to use in a sentence, usually.

duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................. ?

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I recruit doctors.  It's insane to me that a woman will go to college for 4 years, med school for 4 years, do an internship for 1 year, and then do say 3-5 years of residency................And, then tell me she only wants a part time job because she just got married and wants to have kids.

Between that and knowing so many women who were on the fast track but then got married to rich guys instead and became housewives, I want to scream when I see things like April 2nd being the day that women have to work to for free basically.  There is no gender pay gap when it's broken down statistically.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 8:28 PM, bbb said:

I recruit doctors.  It's insane to me that a woman will go to college for 4 years, med school for 4 years, do an internship for 1 year, and then do say 3-5 years of residency................And, then tell me she only wants a part time job because she just got married and wants to have kids.

Between that and knowing so many women who were on the fast track but then got married to rich guys instead and became housewives, I want to scream when I see things like April 2nd being the day that women have to work to for free basically.  There is no gender pay gap when it's broken down statistically.  

It's amazing to me almost no women consider their desire to one day have a family when formulating their career plans.

I have no patience for the so-called "gender gap.". There are so many women in the work world who:  1.  Won't go after a job that involves tasks they haven't done before.  2.  Won't ask for more money on a job offer.  3.  Don't understand that to be promoted they will test you first with additional job duties.  4.  You need to be able to say no to tasks that distract from your job priorities.

Things are certainly changing, and I do my part to help any female friends with their job situation but once most women are better risk takers and more aggressive with their careers I think the gender gap goes away.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

It's amazing to me almost no women consider their desire to one day have a family when formulating their career plans.

I have no patience for the so-called "gender gap.". There are so many women in the work world who:  1.  Won't go after a job that involves tasks they haven't done before.  2.  Won't ask for more money on a job offer.  3.  Don't understand that to be promoted they will test you first with additional job duties.  4.  You need to be able to say no to tasks that distract from your job priorities.

Things are certainly changing, and I do my part to help any female friends with their job situation but once most women are better risk takers and more aggressive with their careers I think the gender gap goes away.

Well stated.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:28 PM, bbb said:

People will live the life they want to.

Stats and people on TV talking “on their behalf” isn’t representative of real life.

• Like (+1) 1