ESPN link bait: Bills mis-handle injuries

boater

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see how you reached the ultimate conclusion Badol.

But damn straight Bills better treat this with Kid Gloves.

Sucks because the kid has been pretty good for us, and team leader.

Safety first.

Duke, you better put your big boy pants on now. Here comes the S storm at you

Like I said, I was concerned about his neck being a chronic issue LAST year.

It's obviously not getting better despite an offseason of rest.

It's terrible because we are talking about a 25 year old player who should have another 5-8 seasons of football(and paychecks) ahead of him.

I am of the mind that the players are ultimately responsible for their health though so I don't believe they are being too careless with these injuries.

The one possible exception is that I did think the Kevin Kolb signing was beyond highly irresponsible because he was basically crippled when they brought him in.

Like I said, I was concerned about his neck being a chronic issue LAST year.

It's obviously not getting better despite an offseason of rest.

It's terrible because we are talking about a 25 year old player who should have another 5-8 seasons of football(and paychecks) ahead of him.

I am of the mind that the players are ultimately responsible for their health though so I don't believe they are being too careless with these injuries.

The one possible exception is that I did think the Kevin Kolb signing was beyond highly irresponsible because he was basically crippled when they brought him in.

ah the Kolb incident. when they could have had Josh.

yes that was a high risk low reward effort : )

Augie, thanks so much for the kind words and I DO thank God for the pain going away. I pray that your son fully recovers. As much as I want this team to win, the neck is not something to play with. Lower back pain feels great compared to neck pain and I wouldn't want AW to suffer like that.

No kidding, it can be awful! My son missed only 2 plays, but had numbness in his left hand for months (we now know). His friend's father, a neurologist, came to our house to clear him for the next game (he was pretty much the entire team). The players lie and people help them find ways to keep going. It's years later and there are still things he can't do at the gym. Apparently he cracked his collar bone and no one knew as it wasn't the squeekist wheel. For a guy like AW, you just want to know he can function down the road.

I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Approx. 8 years ago, I was t-boned by a dwi and had neck pain for 2 months. The pain was constant and unbearable and nothing (including vicodin, which I had given up on) helped. The orthopedic surgeon told me that the pain might never go away but one day it just got a little better, and the pain was soon gone. I don't know how I would have survived had the pain remained. It was THAT bad. And I don't play professional football.

I was furious when they drafted Williams. As you surely recall, the picks after him were Dalton and Kaepernick. And make no mistake, he was totally awful at corner. Remember how terrible he was? But he was/is imo, a VERY good safety, and a big asset to this football team.

You know how much I care about the Bills, but I would not want this man to live his life in the pain that I experienced. I pray that it works out well.

Yeah I think his neck injury got brushed aside by media and fans last year.

At first they were kind of vague....like maybe it was a concussion......but as soon as I heard it was a recurring neck problem I started considering what the team should do as a contingency in the event that his career is shortened by a neck injury.

These aren't soft tissue injuries.

He obviously has a disc problem and as flexible as the neck is I just don't see how he can avoid this recurring.

I've also had a bunch of neck problems and injuries and if the discs in my neck were loose enough to keep slipping I'd be done with football.

Like I said, the guy is a gamer......and he has millions of reasons not to quit......but this is a very concerning situation for player and team.

Not a Rodak fan, but you would have to be naive not to think someone is making bad desicions, whether it is the coaches, doctors, trainers, or players themselves.something is not right

You have the mccoy injury,he is out a couple weeks and they say he is fine to play. which turns into him being out almost a month because he came back too soon. Then aaron williams, has a neck injury that scared the heck out of everyone, he is out for 2 weeks, plays in a game, ends the game ok, and now he is on IR. Karlos Williams looks fine all game, and now he has a concussion that has kept him out multiple weeks with no timeline to return...a conncession that bad, and no one knew about it until well after the game was over.

Sure, some of this is just part of the game. But a lot of this putting players out there and then pulling them back isn't something I have seen on this team before

I agree. Just get guys reasonably healthy before bringing them back. That doesn't seem to be happening for some reason or another. A lot of posters B word and moan about the media when they're Pollyannas about other teams, but that's exactly what they expect from Bills' reporters - or they B word and moan. It's a valid concern regardless of who brought it up. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Maybe Marrone wasn't wrong in wanting to hire new athletic training staff. Maybe it has nothing to do with this either. EJ's injury at the end of the 2013 season kept him out longer than the coaches originally anticipated, or so Marrone made it seem.

No kidding, it can be awful! My son missed only 2 plays, but had numbness in his left hand for months (we now know). His friend's father, a neurologist, came to our house to clear him for the next game (he was pretty much the entire team). The players lie and people help them find ways to keep going. It's years later and there are still things he can't do at the gym. Apparently he cracked his collar bone and no one knew as it wasn't the squeekist wheel. For a guy like AW, you just want to know he can function down the road.

I agree 100%. My thumb and pinkie on my right hand were numb for almost a year. It was unpleasant but I was so happy to be out of 24 hour a day pain that I pretty much didn't care and then that even went away.

As much as I enjoy watching AW play, I would be happy for him to live a normal life not in constant pain.

I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Approx. 8 years ago, I was t-boned by a dwi and had neck pain for 2 months. The pain was constant and unbearable and nothing (including vicodin, which I had given up on) helped. The orthopedic surgeon told me that the pain might never go away but one day it just got a little better, and the pain was soon gone. I don't know how I would have survived had the pain remained. It was THAT bad. And I don't play professional football.

I was furious when they drafted Williams. As you surely recall, the picks after him were Dalton and Kaepernick. And make no mistake, he was totally awful at corner. Remember how terrible he was? But he was/is imo, a VERY good safety, and a big asset to this football team.

You know how much I care about the Bills, but I would not want this man to live his life in the pain that I experienced. I pray that it works out well.

Amen, Bill. Amen.

Really..??? WTF? This is the best the main-stream sports media has?

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21487/bills-handling-of-aaron-williams-lesean-mccoy-deserves-scrutiny

I've had mild doubts about the Bill's hadling of injuries.. but not so over the the top as this.

I think the Bills have bordered right on the line.

Thankfully the game is played on the field.. not in the network ratings (aka click bait).

I keep circling back to Whaley and Marrone allegedly wanted to replace Bud Carpenter as the head trainer and the FO allegedly pushed back. I know it was Marrone, but even a "busted" clock is right twice a day. Boo-boo foot Byrd is said to have followed the rehab protocols he was given for PF in off season, leading to him missing a bunch of games.

The coaches have to rely on the medical staff and trainers to give them appropriate feedback on injury prognosis. GI,GO. Other than that, the players themselves want to get back on the field and contribute to their team (at any level - my kid wanted to play volleyball last night with a confirmed broken finger), and especially players who haven't had serious injury before (like McCoy) may have trouble figuring out what level of pain/impairment is acceptable.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if the injury handling has been all that it should, but it's all "armchair second guessing" to say the Bills have mishandled injuries.

There's an element of luck, also.

He is wrong since how does he know anyone is getting rushed back?

He is arguing that because the players re-injured the initial injury, therefore we may conclude they were rushed back. If they went back in the game but weren't reinjured and played effectively, then the Bills handled it properly.

Edited by Hopeful

Not a Rodak fan, but you would have to be naive not to think someone is making bad desicions, whether it is the coaches, doctors, trainers, or players themselves.something is not right

You have the mccoy injury,he is out a couple weeks and they say he is fine to play. which turns into him being out almost a month because he came back too soon. Then aaron williams, has a neck injury that scared the heck out of everyone, he is out for 2 weeks, plays in a game, ends the game ok, and now he is on IR. Karlos Williams looks fine all game, and now he has a concussion that has kept him out multiple weeks with no timeline to return...a conncession that bad, and no one knew about it until well after the game was over.

Sure, some of this is just part of the game. But a lot of this putting players out there and then pulling them back isn't something I have seen on this team before

One has to bear in mind this hasn't been a contending team for a long time. When players feel they have a chance to be a part of something big, they tend to push themselves.

As a "players coach", Rex Ryan has the reputation that players try to run through a brick wall for him, including playing with serious injuries.

This article doesn't seem to have gotten much traction (poor Rodak) but following all the other teams around the league that have players hurt, and playing hurt, week after week, it's not isolated if it's true. It is football, Rodak. Guys want to be out there for their team and for themselves and the doctors clear them if they are able to. Obviously they can get re-injured just like healthy guys can experience a new injury at any time.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Really..??? WTF? This is the best the main-stream sports media has?

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21487/bills-handling-of-aaron-williams-lesean-mccoy-deserves-scrutiny

I've had mild doubts about the Bill's hadling of injuries.. but not so over the the top as this.

I think the Bills have bordered right on the line.

Thankfully the game is played on the field.. not in the network ratings (aka click bait).

This is one of those rare occasions where Rodork actually has a good point.