Ok, prove me wrong: Offsides on kickoffs

Yes and ref doesn't have the ability to freeze frame the play. So if it's that close can't in any way fault the ref. He's thrown the flag way before the Titan player ever even touched the ball.

I think it happens much more than you imagine. How often is the TV camera even showing all 11 players at the line at the kickoff, and who watching on TV pays any attention to it. So the only time it gets attention is when the penalty is called. My opinion it's called at least 4 to 5 times per season, and would not at all be surprised if it's even more

Posted this elsewhere but---- Tasker specifically said the rule is that if your foot touches over the line before the kick you are offsides- they ran the replay- froze the frame showing his leg ahead of the line- when they resumed the clip his foot then hit - after the kick-

if Tasker is right, he was not offsides. As an aside, what bug does Tasker have up his hiney about the Bills?

Because basically that's the side judges only job, to watch for off sides. It's probably one of the easiest calls for him to make as very easy to see.

And do agree with you that little if any advantage is gained, so the bigger question in my mind is why would a player put himself anywhere close to be called for offsides? As was pointed out, it could be due to the new kicker, but even so why put yourself in that close of a position to have the call made. Instead of blasting the officials, maybe you should be venting your energy at Easley for being stupid!

Hello?????????? I already said he was offsides (or appeared to be). The point is: Why was the ref specifically looking for this 12" infraction on the opening kickoff? It is not a regular type penalty. If anyone has stats on this (how many times offsides is called on a kickoff) I'd like to know because it seems to me that 12" is not much of an advantage and has been overlooked for the last five years (or more).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello?????????? I already said he was offsides (or appeared to be). The point is: Why was the ref specifically looking for this 12" infraction on the opening kickoff? It is not a regular type penalty. If anyone has stats on this (how many times offsides is called on a kickoff) I'd like to know because it seems to me that 12" is not much of an advantage and has been overlooked for the last five years (or more).

I think the point is we were offsides. I think it doesn't get called much because it doesn't happen much.

I think the point is we were offsides. I think it doesn't get called much because it doesn't happen much.

By 12"??? I beg to differ. I think it happens quite often but just "happened" to get called against us. Until someone proves me wrong, I'll say it is called 3-4 times every five years.

Foot has to actually touch turf off sides to be off sides by rule. Didn't happen. Can cross the plane as long as the ball is kicked before foot actually touches turf over the line.

Refs retaliating for Bills players mouthing off in previous game?

Edited by Rockinon

It was a chickenschit call made only because we recovered the fumbled kickoff. No turnover, no offside called on the KO.

GO BILLS!!!

Flag is tossed just as the ball is in the air... Bills are just that undisciplined to get that stupid flag. Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Foot has to actually touch turf off sides to be off sides by rule. Didn't happen. Can cross the plane as long as the ball is kicked before foot actually touches turf over the line.

Yep. Bills have a bad rep with the refs so this was their way of saying "Hey, we're in control of this game guys...don't !@#$ with me today ".

By 12"??? I beg to differ. I think it happens quite often but just "happened" to get called against us. Until someone proves me wrong, I'll say it is called 3-4 times every five years.

this is a silly discussion, but I'll hang around a bit. So you can throw out bogus stats with no backup , but we need to prove you wrong. I think that you are a whiny little baby because you are harping on a correctly called penalty and I'll believe you are a whiny little baby until someone proves me wrong.

this is a silly discussion, but I'll hang around a bit. So you can throw out bogus stats with no backup , but we need to prove you wrong. I think that you are a whiny little baby because you are harping on a correctly called penalty and I'll believe you are a whiny little baby until someone proves me wrong.

LMFAO well stated Klos

Flag is tossed just as the ball is in the air... Bills are just that undisciplined to get that stupid flag.

So my question is (again) how many times has this been called in the last 1-5 years? Then you'll see how much the refs really look for this penalty (or, as I anticipate, how rare this call is).

Bupkis. Here's the NFL rule book (see page 8, section 20):

http://uaasnfl.blob.core.windows.net/live/1807/2015_nfl_rule_book_final.pdf

"A player is Offside when any part of his body or his person is in the Neutral Zone, or is beyond his free kick line, or fair catch kick line when the ball is put in play, unless he is a holder of a placekick for a free kick (6-1-3-b-1) or fair catch kick (11-4-3), or a kicker (6-1-3-b-2). The snapper is offside if any part of his body is beyond the neutral zone. The kicker is not offside unless his kicking foot is beyond his Restraining Line when the ball is kicked."

Easley was offside...

So my question is (again) how many times has this been called in the last 1-5 years? Then you'll see how much the refs really look for this penalty (or, as I anticipate, how rare this call is).

how about you tell us how often it's been called.

I've seen it a few. Not often but occasionally

Was the flag thrown after the fumble?

They threw the flag as the ball was kicked IIRC.

False, flag was thrown as soon as ball was kicked.

Flag is tossed just as the ball is in the air... Bills are just that undisciplined to get that stupid flag.

Thank-you all, gentlemen. I stand corrected.

For a while there, I thought it was some vast conspiracy against us.

GO BILLS!!!

Tough guy. Drag your knuckles to a keyboard and research the issue (I know it's a penalty and we violated it). I'll sit here and cry while you learn to use Webcrawler.

Tough guy. Drag your knuckles to a keyboard and research the issue (I know it's a penalty and we violated it). I'll sit here and cry while you learn to use Webcrawler.

again, if you think the stats favor your argument , come up with them, don't throw that on everyone else here. It's your thread.

again, if you think the stats favor your argument , come up with them, don't throw that on everyone else here. It's your thread.

Example: Hey , I researched and found out that there have only been 3 kickoff offsides penalties called since 2011, I am a bit suspicious about the call on the Bills today, I wonder if the refs are looking for penalties because of our reputation, as these obviously are not called very often. See?

You don't see that "defender over the long snapper" call much either - most teams have a ST coach who makes sure these guys know better. I heard someone complain today the ref usually just taps them and tells them to move over with no penalty called. That's not his job! Here's an idea: play within the rules and stop complaining when you're guilty and they notice.