Setting up a payment plan through the IRS

OK so this extra job I was working this year and my wife not knowing how to fill out her damn W2 correctly caused us to owe in taxes this year......$4200 to be exact.

We have already figured out our exemptions for next year so that this will not happen again.....I am now back to working just the 1 job.......and I got my wifes exemptions straightened out so that next year we will get a refund instead of oweing.

but

Now I am trying to set up a payment plan with the IRS.......I cannot get through on the phone at all and there is something wrong with the on line option which will not allow me to set up the plan.

Thoughts?

OK so this extra job I was working this year and my wife not knowing how to fill out her damn W2 correctly caused us to owe in taxes this year......$4200 to be exact.

We have already figured out our exemptions for next year so that this will not happen again.....I am now back to working just the 1 job.......and I got my wifes exemptions straightened out so that next year we will get a refund instead of oweing.

but

Now I am trying to set up a payment plan with the IRS.......I cannot get through on the phone at all and there is something wrong with the on line option which will not allow me to set up the plan.

Thoughts?

Get a 0% interest credit card and pay them off. You'll save money that way.

Just now coming to the end of a 5 year Chapter 13 bankruptsy (any day now) the word "credit" gives me this sick feeling to my stomach.

Okay, so pay the government interest and penalties every month.

Gug...I think your missing the point......Im coming out of a bankruptsy. Who in the world would give me a 0 interest credit card.

Oh, that wasn't the point I thought you were trying to make. Sorry.

This is the website I used ... payUSAtax.com

My girlfriend has been around and around with IRS payment plans. Contacting them by phone is notoriously difficult but you can get through. It may take over an hour to connect to someone but it can be done.

She has had good luck dealing with them once she gets through.

Good Luck!

but

Thoughts?

Yes. Next time don't wait until one week before the October 15th filing extension deadline to do anything with the IRS. Sorry, that's all I got.

It's been 30 years since I owed the IRS enough to warrant a payment plan, and what I can tell you is they have no problem setting up the plan, but...

I was late on one payment by less than two days and they all but sent the attorney general to my house to collect everything I had and then turn me upside down by the ankles and shake the loose change from my pockets.

What? They didn't check under the sofa cushions for loose change? Man, they're slipping, or getting soft. Too bad you weren't nominated to be the Secretary of the Treasury or an ambassador or something. Should a mere issue of "oversight" like that ever come up - no matter how unlikely - it would be poo-pooed into a small cloud of rainbow colored pixie dust.

Edited by Nanker