The Chop Block Rule

What you all fail to realize is that he engaged the player that was already being blocked BELOW the player that was already blocking him. The league has made a POINT this year to make those calls to protect the DL Incognito PURPOSEFULLY went low on the block. He was absolutely dumb for doing it. That will get flagged EVERY time.

Beyond the emphasis, the ref is responsible for applying a lot of rules to a lot of fluid situations any given second, so they sometimes rely on certain cues even if they don't see the exact infraction

Earlier in the game a ref was shielded by clays body but saw the defender go flying by and clays arms outstretched- push off flag even though the camera angle made it look Ticky tack

This play it's possible the ref saw an engaged block and a lineman come in free to engage from the side and end up on the ground. Did he see where the contact was clearly? I don't know, but I see how a ref could easily throw a flag there even if the letter of the rule wasn't broken

I can easily see the flag being throw if a ref (who is watching more than just Cog) seeing a guy dive towards a player's midsection and ends up at his feet. Sure, it's not the right call (particularly when you watch the replay) but the refs have to make bang bang decisions and it's easy to nitpick things watching a replay in slow motion. Just engage him up top and don't give the ref a chance to throw the flag.

Yup - beat me to it.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YellowishFakeBighorn.gif

Stupid play. The guy is already effectively blocked. And how about the pressure getting thru up the middle ? No ones going to split hairs and say it was his waist, thigh, nut sack, whatever. Richie is dropping down at a descending angle . If you're going to hit him gotta be high, as in chest area . Edited by JTSP

Beyond the emphasis, the ref is responsible for applying a lot of rules to a lot of fluid situations any given second, so they sometimes rely on certain cues even if they don't see the exact infraction

Earlier in the game a ref was shielded by clays body but saw the defender go flying by and clays arms outstretched- push off flag even though the camera angle made it look Ticky tack

This play it's possible the ref saw an engaged block and a lineman come in free to engage from the side and end up on the ground. Did he see where the contact was clearly? I don't know, but I see how a ref could easily throw a flag there even if the letter of the rule wasn't broken

Yup - beat me to it.

Do you think the league's and network's elevation of the officiating to a wildly outsized and grossly overproduced level could be a reason these guys feel comfortable throwing flags at penalties that they don't even see?

Stupid play. The guy is already effectively blocked. And how about the pressure getting thru up the middle ? No ones going to split hairs and say it was his waist, thigh, nut sack, whatever. Richie is dropping down at a descending angle . If you're going to hit him gotta be high, as in chest area .

Yea, I think the lunge got him more than the level. Even if the call was wrong it's an easy one to dissect how the flag came out it seems.

Do you think the league's and network's elevation of the officiating to a wildly outsized and grossly overproduced level could be a reason these guys feel comfortable throwing flags at penalties that they don't even see?

I have to wonder if this is the byproduct of all the new officials they've brought in as well.

This was another crew headed by a rookie Referee, just like the Pats game. So many of the calls seem to be made by guys who are not in good position or were guessing what they were seeing when they were shielded from the play. That and a wildly inconsistent interpretation from series to series. It just smacks of inexperience and 'the game's too fast' for some of these guys at this point in the season.

I hope this tendency goes down as we get into the second half of the year...

Unfortunately, it looked like a good call to me. From what I've seen it definitely looks like it's in the area of the thigh and I'm sure the refs are told that if it's even close to the thigh call it. Can't really dispute that.

It was not a penalty nor was the holding penalty that took away the TD run by Taylor.

I'll admit I missed it but everyone I was watching the game with at the bar made it sound like it was a pretty blatant hold.

Edited by Talley56

Yes and no.

Asking 7 guys to officiate 22 guys, a ball and boundaries in real time is always going to rely on some basic visual clues (in this case an OL coming in lunging at a guy that's already engaged and ending up on the ground).

We get 13 camera angles, slo-mo, and the gift of hindsight and don't get them all right.

It was a double team. Bad call. One of many many bad calls. The defensive hold on Darby was BS too. Holding on Tyrod's td bad call. Offensive pass interference on Clay. Bad call. Personal foul on Preston Brown, bad call. He was working his way out of the scrum. Bad things happen in there. When O'Dell was jacking with Brown, Brown got the call. Should have been on both of them.

What was that thing on his lip? A mustache? Dirty Sanchez?

It was a double team. Bad call. One of many many bad calls. The defensive hold on Darby was BS too. Holding on Tyrod's td bad call. Offensive pass interference on Clay. Bad call. Personal foul on Preston Brown, bad call. He was working his way out of the scrum. Bad things happen in there. When O'Dell was jacking with Brown, Brown got the call. Should have been on both of them.

What was that thing on his lip? A mustache? Dirty Sanchez?

What about the roughing the passer on TT? Clear as day and they pick up the flag.

Worst Chop Block call ever on Incognito. This ref Hussey needs to go.

Yeah exactly, especially because he made a call based on what he "thought" he saw, when we couldn't see it from where he was standing. Ultimate No-No for officials. If you can't see it, you can't call it. You can't just make up what happened in your head based on what you think you saw.

Yeah exactly, especially because he made a call based on what he "thought" he saw, when we couldn't see it from where he was standing. Ultimate No-No for officials. If you can't see it, you can't call it. You can't just make up what happened in your head based on what you think you saw.

Hussey was standing at least 10-12 yards behind Tyrod on that play and in the FOX feed you can see his view was shielded by the other Bills lineman. IMO, just too many 'radar' calls today by an inexperienced crew...

What you all fail to realize is that he engaged the player that was already being blocked BELOW the player that was already blocking him. The league has made a POINT this year to make those calls to protect the DL Incognito PURPOSEFULLY went low on the block. He was absolutely dumb for doing it. That will get flagged EVERY time.

Besides the fact that Incognito did not hit the guy on the thigh or lower, how do you know what Incognito's intent was, and when can penalties be called on intent alone?

Yeah, common sense, something the refs don't have