Reviewing the game film.....Seantrel must improve

Why is Incognito "good as gone"? What evidence do you have that apparently no one else has to support that?

Are you saying the Bills won't want to re-sign him? Barring another off-field issue don't see that happening. Is it still that Ralph is cheap that will prevent him from signing?? Will he be the most sought after FA out there, doubt that as many teams may still shy away from him. If the Bills want him back, I think they have as good a chance as any, probably even better than most to re-sign him. He's signed here twice so must not hate the place, Rex is a players coach, i.e. doubt he'd go to a plac elike the Giants if TC is still the head coach.

Henderson was bad and Miller is a rookie. Nobody should be surprised, we saw this coming. We begged them to sign a veteran OL and I think they tried but failed. It's a glaring hole on offense that is going to haunt us all season long.

Im more worried about next year though. Glenn is a free agent, Incognito (our only good lineman on Sunday) is good as gone. We are in trouble

Henderson was unbelievably bad against the Raiders last year when the Bills vying for a playoff berth. But then the rest of the team wasn't that much better. So many times I watched CJ Spiller get tackled behind the line of scrimmage, and when that happens its all on the line. Urbik was particularly bad in run blocking that game.

Arron Kromer was supposed to fix these issues, and just maybe you can't make a silk purse...

Why is Incognito "good as gone"? What evidence do you have that apparently no one else has to support that?

Are you saying the Bills won't want to re-sign him? Barring another off-field issue don't see that happening. Is it still that Ralph is cheap that will prevent him from signing?? Will he be the most sought after FA out there, doubt that as many teams may still shy away from him. If the Bills want him back, I think they have as good a chance as any, probably even better than most to re-sign him. He's signed here twice so must not hate the place, Rex is a players coach, i.e. doubt he'd go to a plac elike the Giants if TC is still the head coach.

he's playing at a very high level. as good as he was when he made the pro bowl. we won't be able to afford him, he will get a big deal elsewhere. we should have signed him to a 2 year deal instead of 1. him and Percy Harvin are just here to lay low, stay out of trouble, play good football, and turn that into a big contract elsewhere

Henderson was awful on Sunday. And he sucked last year too. He may have potential, and might be good one day, but with the offense Roman wants to run, this guy might bring all that crashing down. Why not try to sign Jake Long? Or maybe give Kujo a chance.

Jake Long is an Atlanta Falcon as of yesterday.

I expect overloads with Chandler Jones or Ninkovich stunting with a lineman crossing in front of Henderson to make him pick one and the other runs free. Those 2 guys create havoc against the Bils.

Mulligan has to be an effective blocker on that side for the Bills offense to succeed on Sunday.

Mulligan has to be an effective blocker on that side for the Bills offense to succeed on Sunday.

Def why Mulligan is still on the team......

Just something to consider x' ans o' wise....I dont expect crazy blitzing from the pats all day......when you do that you break containment on mobile QBs....they want to keep Tyrod IN the pocket.

Thanks for putting the time in, John, my favorite threads are the ones that begin with game obversations. I believe there are further examples in the game of Henderson struggling (but not struggling too hard, that would be tiring).

In the limited observation I've done of Hendy in his time here it seems the trends he's exhibited are shining through in your post. I think we agree this is not a guy showing a whole lot of ambition on the field.

I think there is some potential with this player, though how much is up for debate. Yes he's 6'7, 331 with long arms and an otherwise well-proportioned body- this kid looks the part in every conceivable way. But he doesn't seem to have the kind of power it looks like he should have. I've never seen him line up and drive a defender backwards. I was interested to learn that he skipped the bench press at the combine...

His technique in the run game isn't bad, it is nonexistent. The CLE preseason games, one of his best run snaps was one where he was tasked with getting to the second level and sealing the Mike LB inside on a run wide to the right. Henderson gets turned around, flails his way forward and the LB actually bumps right into Hendy's backside. It delayed him enough for the HB to get outside but this nonexistent technique just won't cut it against the best of the best. The one thing he can do in the run game with any consistency is get into a hole and wall off. I suspect that's because it doesn't take a whole lot of effort, or power, comparatively.

His pass pro is a good deal better than his run work but still needs a good deal of improvement. He flashes good proper footwork but it's wildly inconsistent, and he seems to have little chance of stopping any move inside to his left. He's still 6'7 331 with long arms and relatively athletic feet when he's bothered to use them.

In order for this young man to unlock whatever potential he has great or small, someone needs to get through to Seantrel and cause him to fundamentally re-think what it takes to succeed in the NFL and whether that's something he wants or not.

From what I saw of Kouandjio he's better than last year as he flashes the ability to move large men around in the run game, but again, even this is wildly inconsistent. He still whiffs and can't be counted on to do his job snap in and snap out. I won't even speak much of his pass pro, suffice to say it's still a mess and he would struggle. Roman would have no choice but to devote manpower to helping this guy all afternoon long.

If CK was a consistent run blocker who's ready to go, I'd without hesitation say start him and find a way to deal with the pass pro issues. Even though his run blocking (and overall game) is still a work in progress it may make sense to start Kouandjio anyway, as long as maximum effort is there, because desire will allow for coachability and growth. One thing I'm sure of is that if Henderson doesn't drastically increase his desire to be good then he won't last long on a Rex Ryan team.

They made a strong run at Bulaga which had me on pins and needles, and when Bulaga stayed in GB for less money they figured they could improve Henderson's effort through coaching and it wasn't worth it to sign a lower level veteran. To this point, that has not happened, and it's a line of thinking I disagreed with from the start. I think folks are now seeing why I and a handful of others (FearTheLosing comes to mind, crazy bastard that he is ;)) spent the entire offseason pounding the table for a right tackle. Roman had success with the best RT and best offensive line in the NFL. It made little sense to enter the season with nothing but sophomores who had shown poorly as rookies.

The ugly and infuriating truth is that this is a better offensive line if we re-sign Erik Pears! Another option was to sign a mid- or low-level FA comparable to Pears. Whaley did nothing because he and his coaching staff overrated (you betcha) what Henderson brought to the table.

We'll almost certainly upgrade the position after the season but it's too late for 2015, short of Whaley swinging a trade, which I'm praying for. But the point is we never should've allowed ourselves into this predicament.

That said...we have a serious football team, no? :D

Didn't see this one before. The wet field impacts all the players. The OLmen have a harder time planting, but so do the DLmen. It's still about footwork and angles.

True. But some players handle a wet field better than others. Maybe Henderson is just bad at it. I hope that's the case because he looked bad on Sunday.

While the media was obsessed with the QB battle during the offseason, I was worrying about the OL and I'm still worried about it.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Is this a good time to lament the loss of Chris Hairston ? Should we have kept him until one of Henderson and Kouandjio proved capable ?

It went largely unnoticed but was there an effort to keep Hairston ? (note: he is with the Chargers now)

"We get wise by asking questions, and even if these are not answered, we get wise, for a well-packed question carries its answer on its back as a snail carries its shell."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/09/09/untested-unproven-line-colts-biggest-gamble/71885394/

The biggest weakness on the Bills is their oline. Glenn and Richie are solid. I am hoping for big things from Miller. Sentrel and Wood need to get their **** together. The Indy dline is garbage. Yet they could not open holes. The Jets and Fins have ferocious lines. Our Oline is the one position that might keep us from winning the Superbowl. Hopefully they gel and get it together

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/09/09/untested-unproven-line-colts-biggest-gamble/71885394/

What's left, amidst the rubble, is startling, and not necessarily encouraging: Six defensive linemen on the Colts' current roster, five of whom have never played a down for this team, four of whom have never played a down in the NFL, three of whom went undrafted.

There's a second-year player with zero starts to his name (Zach Kerr); a rookie third-round pick (Henry Anderson); a rookie fifth-round pick (David Parry); a free agent signed two days ago after being cut (T.Y. McGill); and a rookie who last played for a team called the Brooklyn Bolts in the Fall Experimental Football League (Earl Okine).

And I have been preaching- this team is loaded. Next draft I would go very heavy on oline. First 3 picks should be oline if they grade out