Send Your Complaints to WGR Advertisers

ToGoGo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are always complaints no matter what. So why would a company pull their add from the most highly rated radio station in Buffalo to put it on a message board where the majority people using the web use ad blocking software?

I don't see a single ad on this forum and never will.

I think I see Scott standing over there saying thanks. Thanks a lot.

I'm hearing a lot of "don't bother trying", instead of "I've tried that and it doesn't work".

I haven't tried. And it doesn't work.

Change of what?

Whatever the OP is trying to accomplish. I still don't know what that is.

I marched into Riverfront Auto Sales to tell them how much I cant stand Schopp and the Bulldog and their vegetable drafts and such. I gave them a piece of my mind because they advertise on WGR.... then a 2013 Mustang caught my eye and I had to take it for a test drive. I loved it and bought it on the spot....

They said they would "look into" pulling their adds

This quote from Howard Stern sums it up.

The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

I disagree with most of his bull____... but I tune into Rush for a few minutes a day on my drive home for lunch... I think he is entertaining and a great talent. I don't let what he says bother me. The people who are listening for social and political cues are going to feel that way anyways.

Please refrain from co-opting my thread.

I don't agree with boycotts, and I never will. My old signature was something along the lines of "You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mock you mercilessly for it". We shouldn't be looking to kill piss poor free speech. Instead, we should be looking to come back at it with better free speech.

Schopp has a God-given, not man-given, right to free speech. Or, if you're not into the whole God thing: man isn't allowed to take away rights, merely because they don't like what others do with them. That's what inalienable means.

Boycotts are an attack on free speech. Period. The object of a boycott is to either remove the speech we don't like, or the speaker.

That's crap.

Whoa wait what is this nonsense? Free speech just means the government can't arrest you for certain kinds of speech. It doesn't give you carte blanche to say whatever you want without any sort of repercussions. Boycotts are part of the free market. If enough people stopped listening to WGR it's conceivable they would have to replace the on-air talent with people the public liked better. Schopp or anyone else on that station could say something today and if the station felt it wasn't in their best interests to keep that person anymore they could fire them and it would have nothing to do with God or the constitution.

better yet. don't tune into the station.

Too funny when the solution is to tell advertisers to stop advertising. The fact is if people are tuning in advertisers are gonna advertise

Logic sometimes doesn't work here. I'm sorry but every week there seems to be a new WGR complaint thread here. Maybe those should be moved to another area because we all know they will not stop; listening to that station. It's like they can't help themselves.

I think I see Scott standing over there saying thanks. Thanks a lot.

Choosing not to view ads is another form of free speech! Please don't tell me you enjoy receiving junk mail through the US Mail.

As much as it pains me to do so I listen to WEEI out of Boston instead of WGR in the afternoon .The Pats fan boys can be nauseating but the afternoon hosts are all very good. The Pegula's really should put some pressure on to get some talent at WGR to cover the Bills, they are totally unlistenable in the current format.

A poster in the other WGR thread mentioned that the best way to get your complains heard is to contact their advertisers, rather than WGR directly. Well I think that is a great idea!

Here are a couple of their smaller advertisers (the ones more likely to hear your complaints). Feel free to contact them and tell them how you really feel about WGR's coverage. Let them know that you prefer TBD for your Bills football and perhaps they should advertise here instead.

Original Pizza Logs

http://www.pizzalogs.com/contacts

https://twitter.com/OriginPizzaLogs

Outlet Liquors

http://www.whatsyouroutlet.com/contact.html

https://twitter.com/WNYOutletLiquor

Belknap Heating and Cooling

http://www.belknapheating.com/contact

Consumers Beverage

http://www.consumersbeverages.com/contact.html

https://twitter.com/ConsumersBeer

lol....oh yes, please do!! :lol: :lol:

Boycotts ARE a form of free speech, free speech you seem to wish to silence.

Whoa wait what is this nonsense? Free speech just means the government can't arrest you for certain kinds of speech. It doesn't give you carte blanche to say whatever you want without any sort of repercussions. Boycotts are part of the free market. If enough people stopped listening to WGR it's conceivable they would have to replace the on-air talent with people the public liked better. Schopp or anyone else on that station could say something today and if the station felt it wasn't in their best interests to keep that person anymore they could fire them and it would have nothing to do with God or the constitution.

Neither of you understand the concept of Free Speech.

Free Speech means free, as in: without consequences. If I can't say whatever I want, however offensive or misguided others think it is, because I have to fear what you/they might do about it, then I am not free. Period. Unpopular speech is exactly what must be defended, for all speech to be considered free.

Free Speech has nothing to do with job performance. If Schopp were to be fired, it would be due to the latter, and only because the bosses at the station own the format, and determine what is acceptable performance. They are free to do what they want with their business.

This has nothing to do with those external to the business, preventing/changing/cooling the speech they don't like, via a boycott.

You can't claim to support Free Speech, but then also support totalitarian/mob rule tactics whose sole objective is to curtail it, like boycotts. Pick one or the other.

better yet. don't tune into the station.

Too funny when the solution is to tell advertisers to stop advertising. The fact is if people are tuning in advertisers are gonna advertise

This logic has escaped the OP and the OC....

Neither of you understand the concept of Free Speech.

Free Speech means free, as in: without consequences. If I can't say whatever I want, however offensive or misguided others think it is, because I have to fear what you/they might do about it, then I am not free. Period. Unpopular speech is exactly what must be defended, for all speech to be considered free.

Free Speech has nothing to do with job performance. If Schopp were to be fired, it would be due to the latter, and only because the bosses at the station own the format, and determine what is acceptable performance. They are free to do what they want with their business.

This has nothing to do with those external to the business, preventing/changing/cooling the speech they don't like, via a boycott.

You can't claim to support Free Speech, but then also support totalitarian/mob rule tactics whose sole objective is to curtail it, like boycotts. Pick one or the other.

No place in this country does free speech work the way you are describing and this entire topic is about his job performance so free speech doesn't even enter into it.

Yeah, let the advertisers know you're listening. That'll force change.

:w00t:

Yes. Complaining to advertisers is dumb unless the show host is saying things to offend gay people or racist comments. Those are pretty much the only things that get's acted on these days. Otherwise, it simply helps the station prove their advertising works.

The first time a company tells their WGR ad salesman that they are thinking about stopping their advertising because of complaints, any salesman worth his/her salt is going to tell the business owner/rep that the intention of the shows is to stir up controversy which gets people to tune in. It is the same reason that television news stations report the crap they report. Most of it is not really news and it certainly isn't useful. It is to elicit an emotional response in people which gets them addicted to the show.

It is a conspiracy man! No not a conspiracy. It is just modern science applied to advertising.

Every time someone comes on a forum like this and complains about WGR talk show hosts, it makes the talk show host more valuable to the station. So, I am sure Mike and everyone else being whined about are more than happy to have everyone hate them. Well, at least until someone kicks their ass in a bar or something. I bet they avoid bars. And probably mostly avoid the parking lot at the stadium before games.

Edited by PolishDave

This logic has escaped the OP and the OC....

I explained my logic perfectly clear later on the 1st page. Everybody seems to be ignoring it.

The first time a company tells their WGR ad salesman that they are thinking about stopping their advertising because of complaints, any salesman worth his/her salt is going to tell the business owner/rep that the intention of the shows is to stir up controversy which gets people to tune in. It is the same reason that television news stations report the crap they report. Most of it is not really news and it certainly isn't useful. It is to elicit an emotional response in people which gets them addicted to the show.

But now we're putting pressure on the station. More pressure than anybody has managed to put on before. If that happened we would be getting somewhere.

I'm hearing a lot of dismissal and people laughing at me who have never tried doing anything like this. The main laughing point seems to be that the "joke is on me because advertisers will love the attention".

This may be funny in your head, but there are many advertisers who sponsor WGR because they are a popular sports radio show, not because they are controversial. Many would leave quick if they felt any negative effects at all. They are doing it for 100% positive reasons, not for negative attention. Not every small business owner is a Donald Trump type industrialist who just wants any publicity.

:w00t:

Yes. Complaining to advertisers is dumb unless the show host is saying things to offend gay people or racist comments. Those are pretty much the only things that get's acted on these days. Otherwise, it simply helps the station prove their advertising works.

It is a conspiracy man! No not a conspiracy. It is just modern science applied to advertising.

Every time someone comes on a forum like this and complains about WGR talk show hosts, it makes the talk show host more valuable to the station. So, I am sure Mike and everyone else being whined about are more than happy to have everyone hate them. Well, at least until someone kicks their ass in a bar or something. I bet they avoid bars. And probably mostly avoid the parking lot at the stadium before games.

Yup, the ONLY time advertisers will feel pressure to pull advertising is from backlash from either sexist, racist or homophobic remarks made by someone at a station.

I explained my logic perfectly clear later on the 1st page. Everybody seems to be ignoring it.

But now we're putting pressure on the station. More pressure than anybody has managed to put on before. If that happened we would be getting somewhere.

I'm hearing a lot of dismissal and people laughing at me who have never tried doing anything like this. The main laughing point seems to be that the "joke is on me because advertisers will love the attention".

This may be funny in your head, but there are many advertisers who sponsor WGR because they are a popular sports radio show, not because they are controversial. Many would leave quick if they felt any negative effects at all. They are doing it for 100% positive reasons, not for negative attention. Not every small business owner is a Donald Trump type industrialist who just wants any publicity.

"Popular" and "controversial" go hand and hand with ratings.

Yup, the ONLY time advertisers will feel pressure to pull advertising is from backlash from either sexist, racist or homophobic remarks made by someone at a station.

"Popular" and "controversial" go hand and hand with ratings.

The "ONLY time". You seem pretty sure about that. I'd like to know how everybody seems to know that. Or is that just the only time you've heard about it publicly

Popular and controversial do tend to go together. However, not every company wants to be associated with controversial. That's where everybody in this thread misses the point. That's where the humor in the previous joke ends.