Bills Sign DL Red Bryant and RB Cierre Wood

Really surprised Bryant was still a free agent. He is a very good run stuffer and versatile enough to play in a 3-4 or 4-3. A bit one dimensional of a player but hard to think some team coming off of a weak year in run defense wouldn't have signed him as a rotational player. Maybe he wanted to be part of a good unit? If he was waiting on a good situation he might have found one. Bills will both be a good defense and should have significant playing time for him.

Not much of a pass rusher but great against the run. He can spell MD or move MD outside (he has the quickness to play DE) and they can see the field at the same time.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had Red Bryant on the team for the raiders game I truly believe we win that game.

As soon as Marcel got dinged up.......we started getting ran on like crazy

i think a lot of it was they weren't prepared for his absence and didn't make in game adjustments after he went out to try to make up for his loss. Knowing we won't have him so far in advance for the Colts will be a huge difference. Won't make up for him not being there, but closes the gap a bit in terms of prep and game planning.

If we had Red Bryant on the team for the raiders game I truly believe we win that game.

As soon as Marcel got dinged up.......we started getting ran on like crazy

yea, in schwartzs scheme we really got hit hard when marcell came out and spikes was removed for nickel packages. even outside the raiders game, it seemed like any gashing runs were against nickel looks with the d line rotating the interior (which was often MD and KW at the same time)

yea, in schwartzs scheme we really got hit hard when marcell came out and spikes was removed for nickel packages. even outside the raiders game, it seemed like any gashing runs were against nickel looks with the d line rotating the interior (which was often MD and KW at the same time)

happened in GB game. Lacy ran all over us when they rotated the line.

Don't discount Wood, he had a really strong preseason a couple of years back that netted him a job as an UDFA. I'm sure he suits up tomorrow, we'll see what he can do.

I'll echo what everyone else says about Bryant though, great signing. I love the idea of an exhausted, beat-up and frustrated Guard finally thinking he gets a break when Dareus and Williams get pulled on a play only to see Red Bryant and Alex Carrington starring back at him.

Edited by BillsGuyInWilton

Don't discount Wood, he had a really strong preseason a couple of years back that netted him a job as an UDFA. I'm sure he suits up tomorrow, we'll see what he can do.

I'll echo what everyone else says about Bryant though, great signing. I love the idea of an exhausted, beat-up and frustrated Guard finally thinking he gets a break when Dareus and Williams get pulled on a play only to see Red Bryant and Alex Carrington starring back at him.

Yep. There is a good argument that overall, Bryant is an upgrade to Wynn. It surely helps a lot in the opener with Dareus out. And it surely helps a lot of Rexy stuff with lining up in different formations that is tough for the offense to prepare for.

yep, well put. And, dare I say... The defense is going to need a good rotation because odds are they are going to be on the field a lot.

yep, well put. And, dare I say... The defense is going to need a good rotation because odds are they are going to be on the field a lot.

It is interesting that you say that

I think that Roman's offensive system will actually allow for more rest this year......they seem to understand that running the ball and being creative doing it is a good thing.......it takes pressure off qbs, controls the clock, and gives our D a chance to stay fresh

REALLY liked what I have seen in the run blocking so far

It is interesting that you say that

I think that Roman's offensive system will actually allow for more rest this year......they seem to understand that running the ball and being creative doing it is a good thing.......it takes pressure off qbs, controls the clock, and gives our D a chance to stay fresh

REALLY liked what I have seen in the run blocking so far

this is what I am desperately hoping for!!! Just Trying not to set myself up for disappointment Edited by YoloinOhio

Don't know about that. If Rex and Roman succeed in fielding a good ball possession ground and pound offence the D might actually catch a break. Given that the D should be very good regardless, there may be a very productive synergy at play there between both sides of the ball. The O allows your D to rest. The D gives the O lots of good field position.

Sorry. Did not see John's post.

As an ND fan saw a lot of Cierre on the field. His Junior year he looked on the verge of being the next great ND RB. His Senior year he looked less that type of player. I remember he had a couple injuries, but he just didn't seem like the same guy. I hope he performs well for us. I wonder if he has PS eligibility left?