Just got a call on my cell....I guess im going to jail

I received a call on my cell phone

- From a man with a heavy middle eastern accident.......in what appears to be a call center from the back ground noise and other people talking

- I have apparently committed tax fraud......and police are coming to my house to arrest me within the next 45 minutes

- The person who called me left a message asking for a call back stating they were with the IRS....when I called back I was informed of this information

- Not sure if scam because I didnt let them finish their conversation....basically told them I will talk to the police when they come out to the house

- No the IRS has not sent me any written notification

- I am in the last few days of a Chapter 11 bankruptsy.........so dont see how it would even be possible because the courts and my lawyers have my tax returns ever year

but

If I am not around after 45 minutes from now.....it was great knowing all of you here at TBD...:)

If you need to liquidate your bank accounts in a hurry I'll sell you some of Saddam Hussein's gold that I'm helping a disabled veteran to smuggle out of Iraq

Bank accounts?? Dude's filing for bankruptcy. All he needs is ammo.

- From a man with a heavy middle eastern accident.......in what appears to be a call center from the back ground noise and other people talking

- I have apparently committed tax fraud......and police are coming to my house to arrest me within the next 45 minutes

- The person who called me left a message asking for a call back stating they were with the IRS....when I called back I was informed of this information

- Not sure if scam because I didnt let them finish their conversation....basically told them I will talk to the police when they come out to the house

- No the IRS has not sent me any written notification

- I am in the last few days of a Chapter 11 bankruptsy.........so dont see how it would even be possible because the courts and my lawyers have my tax returns ever year

but

If I am not around after 45 minutes from now.....it was great knowing all of you here at TBD... :)

They've changed it up. I get those calls once a week, but they claim to be from the Treasury.

They're lots of fun to mess with. I usually claim I'm a lawyer specializing in tax law and ask for the IRS case number, then watch them panic.

The IRS doesn't initiate contact by phone, it's almost always by certified mail or in person.

When you file for bankruptcy, get a lien or a judgement it goes on your public record - for everyone (including the scammers) to see. You'll probably be getting a ton of junk mail from tax attorneys in the next few months.

Mrs. Lew has received these calls from "Officer Mike" and "Officer Tom" telling her of her pending arrest.

On the second one, I took the call and told the "officer" we would leave the front porch

light on and asked if they would like coffee or tea.

Yes, it is fun messing with these knotheads.

So 45 minutes has passed and law enforcement has not yet arrived........I sat in the front porch with my old military helmet and shotgun.......and one did stop by and ask me if I was dressing up early for Halloween........then I offered him some lemonade.....

but anyways....its way to hot so I went back inside and got on my computer and googled the phone number that called me......

5 complaints today for that number.....all with the same message from fake IRS. Out of the 5 only one of them was stupid enough to call back like me.

:(

So no jail for me today....God has a more severe punishment for me it seems

A few months ago I had a couple of messages that were left on the machine, same deal, except if I did not comply and call back immediately a "local magistrate" would be sent to my home to incarcerate me. I checked out the number and it was reported as a scam, I was kinda hoping he was going to call back so I could goof on him.

The first time I got that call, it freaked me out but as I continued talking I realized it was a scam. This was eventually confirmed when he said 'I could settle this case right away for a sum of $4,600'. At that time, I took over control of the call and said i would make a three way call with the local police so that they can confirm what time they were planning on picking me up. He got belligerent and that made me even more emboldened to make fun of him. Eventually, he got frustrated and hung up. I checked and they use throw away phone numbers or vonage type numbers which cannot be traced to a location.

BTW, it was most likely Indian and not Middle Eastern. They eventually called my home number with the same speech and I started annoying them right away. When he started sputtering due to his anger, his real accent started coming through. I quickly recognized it and started abusing him in that language at which point he was taken aback and started talking to me in an Indian language and hung up shouting obscenities. It was hilarious.

:(

So no jail for me today....God has a more severe punishment for me it seems

You can always come to TSW and start a thread on the Bills QB situation

I once got a call from this same person/group...I told them I was very concerned and needed to put them on hold.

I then three-way called my buddy, who is a tax attorney, merged the call, and told "Shawn" that he was on the line with myself and my tax attorney, who'd be happy to sort this all out.

[click]

Me: "Oh really? That's very interesting."

<yelling over my shoulder to my imaginary colleague: "Hey, is that drone hot yet? Yeah? How long until you can triangulate the signal? 90 seconds? OK...>

Scammer: ?

Me: "Oh sir, could you please stay on the line for another minute and a half? Thanks!"

Scammer: <click>

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

5 complaints today for that number.....all with the same message from fake IRS. Out of the 5 only one of them was stupid enough to call back like me.

Stupidity is not jailable offense otherwise jails would be too full and some judge would do something stupid like free prisoners resulting in judge going to jail.