Ronald Darby.....2% body fat

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lance Armstrongs BPM are at around 30-35 for a cyclist. For the average person they would be hospitalized and when hooked up to a heart monitor it would be going crazy and it would show a flat line with a little blip every so often. Unless you are a doctor it's hard to say about the body fat thing. Things are different for athletes who train for specific things vs. us the average individual.

That's not true. Your standard polar hr monitor will pick that up no problem. It's actually a pretty common resting hr for elite aerobic based athletes.

2% is low. Maybe too low. He can get away with it in football though because it's pretty much entirely anaerobic. Football is explosive and doesn't need a huge aerobic base. This would be terrible for anybody doing anything more than approximately 4-5 minutes of work. A marathon runner would totally fail at this body composition. Even way way way too low for a guy who runs the 1500. Darby will rarely need to burn fat as a source of energy. It's just fine for football or sprinting because of the explosive nature of the sport.

Edited by Mango

This is a 100% crock of $hit. As someone who as been as low as 4% for competitions, there is absolutely no way a professional athlete is at 2%. You can't live at 4% for long, let alone 2%. I'm not going to go into all the reasons but the degree of calorie restriction (or hours of cardio if his calories are up) would leave near zero energy reserves to perform at that level.

This is a 100% crock of ****. As someone who as been as low as 4% for competitions, there is absolutely no way a professional athlete is at 2%. You can't live at 4% for long, let alone 2%. I'm not going to go into all the reasons but the degree of calorie restriction (or hours of cardio if his calories are up) would leave near zero energy reserves to perform at that level.

This is correct. The method of testing was likely not that accurate (caliper or a bioelectrical scale instead of one of the more accurate methods like underwater weighing).

Edited by Ball'n

It really depends on the assessment method. The margin of error is really quite wide...again depending on the method. Like everything in the NFL, individual measurements are used to compare against a population. Each team may use different methods which makes consistency/accuracy a challenge. Case in point, Jeff Burris routinely was calculated as having almost 0% body fat using the Bod Pod.

With a margin of error of 5%-15%, BMI is best used (and, to be fair, usually is) as a complement to other metrics.

and unfortunately BMI is flawed to begin with.... b/c it does not take into account body type. For example, I am just over 6 feet tall and weigh 210, but I am a mesomorph. At this weight, the BMI considers me obese, which is a joke.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/376778/mesomorph

and unfortunately BMI is flawed to begin with.... b/c it does not take into account body type. For example, I am just over 6 feet tall and weigh 210, but I am a mesomorph. At this weight, the BMI considers me obese, which is a joke.

Quiet down you disgusting obese person. Eat a carrot once in a while. :D

That's not true. Your standard polar hr monitor will pick that up no problem. It's actually a pretty common resting hr for elite aerobic based athletes.

2% is low. Maybe too low. He can get away with it in football though because it's pretty much entirely anaerobic. Football is explosive and doesn't need a huge aerobic base. This would be terrible for anybody doing anything more than approximately 4-5 minutes of work. A marathon runner would totally fail at this body composition. Even way way way too low for a guy who runs the 1500. Darby will rarely need to burn fat as a source of energy. It's just fine for football or sprinting because of the explosive nature of the sport.

Yeah, look at this high body fat aerobe!

46e89665eb2d7f62_mens-winner.jpg

He's not burning fat during his run. Mostly carbs/sugars.

At 6 feet your BMI is 28.5. Not obese, but "overweight", by strict definition.

Yeah, look at this high body fat aerobe!

46e89665eb2d7f62_mens-winner.jpg

He's not burning fat during his run. Mostly carbs/sugars.

At 6 feet your BMI is 28.5. Not obese, but "overweight", by strict definition.

I incorrectly wrote "obese" instead of overweight, but my point still stands. Based upon my body type, "overweight" is a fallacy.