Would you be upset if the bills went with 2 OL picks?

I would be upset, only in the fact that I do not believe picking 2 OL is A) Needed/Warranted with the 2nd and 3rd round picks B)would give us instant contributors to a team that needs individuals to come in and play in specific roles. I put this together for you guys to look at quickly, courtesy of Spotrac:

I apologize for the long lists, I'll leave markers to make it easier to jump ahead to the point of this post:

Key players contracts coming up in 2016:
Marcell Dareus
Matt Cassel
Percy Harvin
Stephon Gilmore
Fred Jackson
Nigel Bradham
Cordy Glenn
Rich Incognito
Ron Brooks
Bryce Brown
Marcus Thigpen
Nick Robey
Stefan Charles
Ty Powell
MarQueis Gray
Bacarri Rambo
Chris Hogan
Corbin Bryant
Kenny Ladler
Key Players contracts ending in 2017:
Leodis McKelvin
Manny Lawson
EJ Manuel
Kraig Urbrik
Robert Woods
Anthony Dixon
Jarius Wynn
Marquise Goodwin
Duke Williams
Johnathan Meeks
Chris Gragg
Jeff Tuel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Players in my mind playing for their jobs the for the following seasons:
(2016)
Ron Brooks
Bryce Brown
Marcus Thigpen
Nick Robey
Stefan Charles
Ty Powell
MarQueis Gray
Bacarri Rambo
Chris Hogan
Corbin Bryant
Kenny Ladler
(2017)
Manny Lawson
EJ Manuel
Kraig Urbrik
Jarius Wynn
Marquise Goodwin
Duke Williams
Johnathan Meeks
Chris Gragg
Jeff Tuel
-----------------------------------------------------
Looking ahead, I would say with pretty good certainty that we will be sorting out our Safety, CB, and TE position in the next year or two. We have several players that are essentially trying to hold down their shots of being on the roster when their contracts come up. In terms of OL and this Draft. I would be ELATED to grab Ali Marpet in the 3rd if he is there for us to take. Other than that there are a few OT/G that I think would be worth the second/third round selection. I just think there will be a player of better value at other positions when we draft 50th overall. We are PAINFULLY thin at TE, and on paper we appear equally thin at LB although Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes will probably play some sort of LB hybrid position.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Contract wise, the players I think that are done as far as being on the team a year from now:
Lets start with the retirement of Fred Jackson, I love the man, but I think his time has come
Bryce Brown and Marcus Thigpen: Brown is fumble prone and could easily be replaced with a new young RB in the 2016 draft especially if FJAX is let go(I would be more inclined to keep FJAX on a 1-2 yr contract to groom his replacement that would be drafted). Marcus Thigpen, I love the guy as a return man, but I could see us letting him go, mainly in an attempt to keep Harvin and give those duties to him.
Kenny Ladler and Bacarri Rambo: One of these 2 is gone imo. Rambo might have been the hero in the game against the Packers, but i'm sure I don't have to point out how lucky he was on 1 of his picks that Rodgers didn't Nelson taking the top off our D. Kenny has not done anything to wow me.
Ron Brooks and Nick Robey: 1 of these two is also gone. I know that Rex loves his CBs like Parcells loved his LBs, but sometimes you gotta sift through the dirt and decide when to dig a new patch. IMO Ron Brooks goes, Robey has done amazing when given the chance, even with the limitation of his size.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contracts that we will be watching unfold:

BTW current Active Contracts for 2016 is 125 million and anticipated Cap will be 150+ million (need roughly 5 million for rookies)

Mario Williams: Restructures to gain a long term contract, and save us money for........ (lets say 16 million so we can drop the active amount to 121 million)

Marcell Dareus: Gets a 16 million a year contract eased by the restructuring mentioned above.
Matt Cassel: New deal, who knows when this gets done, but we need a Vet - maybe we replace him with someone else.
Percy Harvin: IMO does well enough to get the second and third years of his contract: That's currently 6 Million (or we could let him walk)
Stephon Gilmore: 6-8 Million a year, bonus money upfront to ease the following years
Fred Jackson: Gone (broken hearts forever)
Nigel Bradham: 3-5 Million a Year
Cordy Glenn: 4-7 Million a Year Pending Performance
Rich Incognito: 3.5 Million a year - we drop Chris Williams contract and give it to Richie (we end up with a wash moneywise here)
We are going to have to be really creative with our contracts, because I see us needing to come up with about 10 million that we don't have in 2016 unless we drop some contracts and restructure some other ones.

Damn Man !

:thumbsup:

thats some serious thinking right there!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still just can't see there not being another person at another position available with our first two picks. There is going to be a lot of talent to be found in rounds 2 and 3, and with such a deep WR draft class, and D line, some of the stuff we need is going to fall to us.

I would be upset, only in the fact that I do not believe picking 2 OL is A) Needed/Warranted with the 2nd and 3rd round picks B)would give us instant contributors to a team that needs individuals to come in and play in specific roles. I put this together for you guys to look at quickly, courtesy of Spotrac:

I apologize for the long lists, I'll leave markers to make it easier to jump ahead to the point of this post:

Key players contracts coming up in 2016:
Marcell Dareus
Matt Cassel
Percy Harvin
Stephon Gilmore
Fred Jackson
Nigel Bradham
Cordy Glenn
Rich Incognito
Ron Brooks
Bryce Brown
Marcus Thigpen
Nick Robey
Stefan Charles
Ty Powell
MarQueis Gray
Bacarri Rambo
Chris Hogan
Corbin Bryant
Kenny Ladler
Key Players contracts ending in 2017:
Leodis McKelvin
Manny Lawson
EJ Manuel
Kraig Urbrik
Robert Woods
Anthony Dixon
Jarius Wynn
Marquise Goodwin
Duke Williams
Johnathan Meeks
Chris Gragg
Jeff Tuel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Players in my mind playing for their jobs the for the following seasons:
(2016)
Ron Brooks
Bryce Brown
Marcus Thigpen
Nick Robey
Stefan Charles
Ty Powell
MarQueis Gray
Bacarri Rambo
Chris Hogan
Corbin Bryant
Kenny Ladler
(2017)
Manny Lawson
EJ Manuel
Kraig Urbrik
Jarius Wynn
Marquise Goodwin
Duke Williams
Johnathan Meeks
Chris Gragg
Jeff Tuel
-----------------------------------------------------
Looking ahead, I would say with pretty good certainty that we will be sorting out our Safety, CB, and TE position in the next year or two. We have several players that are essentially trying to hold down their shots of being on the roster when their contracts come up. In terms of OL and this Draft. I would be ELATED to grab Ali Marpet in the 3rd if he is there for us to take. Other than that there are a few OT/G that I think would be worth the second/third round selection. I just think there will be a player of better value at other positions when we draft 50th overall. We are PAINFULLY thin at TE, and on paper we appear equally thin at LB although Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes will probably play some sort of LB hybrid position.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Contract wise, the players I think that are done as far as being on the team a year from now:
Lets start with the retirement of Fred Jackson, I love the man, but I think his time has come
Bryce Brown and Marcus Thigpen: Brown is fumble prone and could easily be replaced with a new young RB in the 2016 draft especially if FJAX is let go(I would be more inclined to keep FJAX on a 1-2 yr contract to groom his replacement that would be drafted). Marcus Thigpen, I love the guy as a return man, but I could see us letting him go, mainly in an attempt to keep Harvin and give those duties to him.
Kenny Ladler and Bacarri Rambo: One of these 2 is gone imo. Rambo might have been the hero in the game against the Packers, but i'm sure I don't have to point out how lucky he was on 1 of his picks that Rodgers didn't Nelson taking the top off our D. Kenny has not done anything to wow me.
Ron Brooks and Nick Robey: 1 of these two is also gone. I know that Rex loves his CBs like Parcells loved his LBs, but sometimes you gotta sift through the dirt and decide when to dig a new patch. IMO Ron Brooks goes, Robey has done amazing when given the chance, even with the limitation of his size.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contracts that we will be watching unfold:

BTW current Active Contracts for 2016 is 125 million and anticipated Cap will be 150+ million (need roughly 5 million for rookies)

Mario Williams: Restructures to gain a long term contract, and save us money for........ (lets say 16 million so we can drop the active amount to 121 million)

Marcell Dareus: Gets a 16 million a year contract eased by the restructuring mentioned above.
Matt Cassel: New deal, who knows when this gets done, but we need a Vet - maybe we replace him with someone else.
Percy Harvin: IMO does well enough to get the second and third years of his contract: That's currently 6 Million (or we could let him walk)
Stephon Gilmore: 6-8 Million a year, bonus money upfront to ease the following years
Fred Jackson: Gone (broken hearts forever)
Nigel Bradham: 3-5 Million a Year
Cordy Glenn: 4-7 Million a Year Pending Performance
Rich Incognito: 3.5 Million a year - we drop Chris Williams contract and give it to Richie (we end up with a wash moneywise here)
We are going to have to be really creative with our contracts, because I see us needing to come up with about 10 million that we don't have in 2016 unless we drop some contracts and restructure some other ones.

OK but.....

Why wouldnt you take 2 OL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this upcoming draft?

L.O.L

Because we have other positions that are of equal or greater need and I find it impossible for you to tell me that there won't be a TE or LB significantly higher rated than linemen at 50 AND 81.

We have 8 Linemen already on the team (12 but the other 4 seem like camp bodies)

We have 3 TE's........ number 2 is MarQueis Gray and number 3 is Chris Gragg...... thats not exactly a stellar amount of depth.

We have 3 TRUE Linebackers and 2 of them are strictly back ups. Yes Mario Williams, Jerry Hughes and Manny Lawson will be hybrid LB/DE's but i'm sure they would like an upgrade over Ty Powell and Randell Johnson.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did I post the info about contract info? Because you can't just look at needs you have this year. You have to look at needs next year and the year after. You need to look at positions you know for a fact will either be open or will need to be sacrificed.

We are going to draft at least 1 linemen this draft (I do not think we take 2 with the first 2 picks). That gives us 10. Chris Williams IMO is gone after this year, thats down to 9. The year after we let Urbrik go/retire, thats down to 8. IMO Kouandjio was a terrible pick and made me furious last year the second we took him. IMO we draft someone better in 2016/2017 and he's replaced.

The Bills are looking for immediate starters with their first 2 picks. We do not have 2 spots on the O-line and with such limited picks, spending both of our first two picks attempting to fiddle with te O-line is a luxury we do NOT and can NOT afford. If we had a first, and a 4th this year, I would have no problem with the double linemen draft to start things off. But we NEED to hit on 50 and 81.

In the 2nd and 3rd round?

Was thinkin about what if the bills did exactly that

- Perhaps a OT at 50.....

- Then if BPA ended up being a OG in the 3rd round?

If there are some "Can't Miss" guys left on the board, then I'm OK with it. If there are some potential 3-5 ranked QBs on the board, then I say pull the trigger on that need in Rd3, and go for your can't miss OL in Rd2.

Teams are built along the lines. Investing in the O-line is always a good idea. So drafting two with the first two picks would be a solid move. Unnecessary to do based on need but overall it's not a bad strategy.

Just curious as to your opinion here: which teams, aside from Dallas, are built along the OL?

I honestly cannot think of a single one. Maybe SF...

Because we have other positions that are of equal or greater need and I find it impossible for you to tell me that there won't be a TE or LB significantly higher rated than linemen at 50 AND 81.

We have 8 Linemen already on the team (12 but the other 4 seem like camp bodies)

We have 3 TE's........ number 2 is MarQueis Gray and number 3 is Chris Gragg...... thats not exactly a stellar amount of depth.

We have 3 TRUE Linebackers and 2 of them are strictly back ups. Yes Mario Williams, Jerry Hughes and Manny Lawson will be hybrid LB/DE's but i'm sure they would like an upgrade over Ty Powell and Randell Johnson.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did I post the info about contract info? Because you can't just look at needs you have this year. You have to look at needs next year and the year after. You need to look at positions you know for a fact will either be open or will need to be sacrificed.

We are going to draft at least 1 linemen this draft (I do not think we take 2 with the first 2 picks). That gives us 10. Chris Williams IMO is gone after this year, thats down to 9. The year after we let Urbrik go/retire, thats down to 8. IMO Kouandjio was a terrible pick and made me furious last year the second we took him. IMO we draft someone better in 2016/2017 and he's replaced.

The Bills are looking for immediate starters with their first 2 picks. We do not have 2 spots on the O-line and with such limited picks, spending both of our first two picks attempting to fiddle with te O-line is a luxury we do NOT and can NOT afford. If we had a first, and a 4th this year, I would have no problem with the double linemen draft to start things off. But we NEED to hit on 50 and 81.

A few things

- I am totally not against a TE with one of those 1st two picks.....I recognize the need at TE and it is further stressed when you figure that our OC wants a run dominate offense and that is a 2 TE set (although I dont think they brought in Felton to just ride the bench

- I agree that the 2nd and 3rd round picks need to hit....which is why if the best players available are OL then how would fans feel about that.

There is some depth to the OL position this year.

NO. not at all. I hope they do.

Reason: even with the 3 O linemen drafted last year, the O line is no doubt the weakest unit on the Buffalo team.

We don't know if any of the O lineman drafted last year will develop, what the issues are and who will fall out. Also, competition is always a good thing

in my book, and someone is going down along the way. The O line was very healthy last year and I would not expect that to occur two years in a row.

Chris Williams notwithstanding.

NO. not at all. I hope they do.

Reason: even with the 3 O linemen drafted last year, the O line is no doubt the weakest unit on the Buffalo team.

We don't know if any of the O lineman drafted last year will develop, what the issues are and who will fall out. Also, competition is always a good thing

in my book, and someone is going down along the way. The O line was very healthy last year and I would not expect that to occur two years in a row.

Chris Williams notwithstanding.

I recognize that coaching may have been a huge part of the problem

My thing is.....if you are an athlete and you can play then you can play

Which makes me nervous about Cyril and Kujo

Richardson was having SUCH a hard time with stunts.....I mean he just looked totally lost

and

Kujo? DID NOT SEE THE FIELD AS A SECOND ROUND PICK.........and looked so bad in training camp that many felt if he was not such a high round pick he would have been cut

Chris WIlliams has back issues

We are supposed to have confidence that they will develop?

We need an athletic TE and a Guard.

That should be our 2nd and 3rd. Not in that order as has to be the BPA in those positions.

After that it is about depth I seriously doubt we get a QB. It's sad as we have a real team now once we get those holes filled and will still maybe be 10-6.

I don't know what is the answer as we needed a Carr last year, Wilson 3 years ago, etc. Not the top pick as we didn't have it, but the next guy.

we bought an atlethic TE recently. what we need is a guy who can block some. and still be able to catch and run. boyle for example.

maybe pj williams will fall to us because of his dwi. that would be my pick at 50. G in 3rd and 5th

Just curious as to your opinion here: which teams, aside from Dallas, are built along the OL?

I honestly cannot think of a single one. Maybe SF...

That is a good point. Dallas is the only one that comes to mind. We will see how much was the OL and how much was Murray. I suspect that both played a pretty big role.

something like this:

50: R2P18
CB P.J. WILLIAMS
FLORIDA STATE
81: R3P17
G ALI MARPET
HOBART
155: R5P19
C SHAQUILLE MASON
GEORGIA TECH
188: R6P12
S ADRIAN AMOS
PENN STATE
194: R6P18
TE NICK BOYLE
DELAWARE
234: R7P17
QB CODY FAJARDO
NEVADA
though i´d prefer tre jackson over marpet and i doubt amos will be there in the 6th

something like this:

50: R2P18
CB P.J. WILLIAMS
FLORIDA STATE
81: R3P17
G ALI MARPET
HOBART
155: R5P19
C SHAQUILLE MASON
GEORGIA TECH
188: R6P12
S ADRIAN AMOS
PENN STATE
194: R6P18
TE NICK BOYLE
DELAWARE
234: R7P17
QB CODY FAJARDO
NEVADA
though i´d prefer tre jackson over marpet and i doubt amos will be there in the 6th

I would take PJ Williams in a heart beat if he actually falls that far. He won't though.Seattle will pick him up if he falls that far or STL in the early second. But i would go batshit for him. Also as i'm sure a large portion of the board agrees, Ali Marpet is like the perfect player for the Bills team.

we bought an atlethic TE recently. what we need is a guy who can block some. and still be able to catch and run. boyle for example.

Why do we need to stop at having 1 Athletic TE? Why can't we have two.....I mean, did the beating the patriots put on us with Gronk/Hernandez hurt so bad you blocked it out completely? I don't think we need a safety honestly. We have so many on the team. CB i'm willing to draft, as well as LB and DT otherwise we need to shore up the Offense, just complete it (minus QB, although i do like Kap 2.0 as our 7th or even 6th)