Would you be upset if the bills went with 2 OL picks?

After the offseason we've already had, I don't really care who they draft. I feel pretty confident they will be picking players that fit what they are looking for, I'm not going to get bent out of shape regardless of who they draft.

In my mind, I would like to see an OL and a TE with our #2 and #3 pick, but I'm good with whatever they do.

i have to agree.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

without reading the previous posts:

no. i´d be delighted.

let´s just say we have a draft with tre jackson and shaq mason. in the best scenario that means a 3rd and a 5th.

leaves the 2nd for BPA, the 2 6 rders for whatever is there ( even ANOTHER OLiner ) and nick boyle and the 7th for fua

50: R2P18
OT D.J. HUMPHRIES
FLORIDA
81: R3P17
G TRE' JACKSON
FLORIDA ST
155: R5P19
C SHAQUILLE MASON
GEORGIA TECH
188: R6P12
TE JESSE JAMES
PENN STATE
194: R6P18
RB KARLOS WILLIAMS
FLORIDA ST
234: R7P17
DE BOBBY RICHARDSON
INDIANA

How about something like this

How about the Best Player Available at Number 50? And O-Line help with later picks... I really hope (because it makes me feel better) players that were drafted last year will improve this year..

I changed one word and added a few parenthetically to show how I feel about last year's picks.

If the 2 lineman they drafted are BPA, then no I don't mind at all.

What if the FO, coaches & scouts **gasp** lied to you and told you that they drafted BPA?

Sure, Henderson fell off at the end of last season. That said, CK couldn't see any time at all. He was THAT bad.

You know that I am Crimson Tide fan and have seen all of his games. My take is that he is injured and never was so great. He is however a great kid and it would be wonderful for him, Bills fans, and the Bills if he could produce. Counting on this to happen, imo, is not smart money.

Jmo and hoping to be wrong.

Never? CK was a five star recruit (as was Seantrel). Those guys are pretty rare and their bust rates are much lower.

CK looked like a disaster in the preseason last year - it looked as though his feet were cement blocks. He clearly wasn't ready for the NFL. That said, I don't trust a single thing that happened under Marrone on the offensive side of the ball - Doug Marrone also was not ready for the NFL. Let's see what a professional coaching staff can do with Glenn, Wood, and 2 five star recruits - and let the rest of the guys fight it out for the last guard spot, someone has to emerge based upon pure numbers.

I want any of a QB, a pass rushing linebacker, or a tight end at 50, unless a highly touted tackle slips to 50.

Although despite all of what I just said, yeah I'd be fine with two OLs.

In the 2nd and 3rd round?

Was thinkin about what if the bills did exactly that

- Perhaps a OT at 50.....

- Then if BPA ended up being a OG in the 3rd round?

I'm looking BPA, preferably at a position of need for both picks and OG and OT still seem to be among the team's needs so it wouldn't be the worst thing.. Still, I'd rather see one OL and a different area addressed with those two picks. Besides, there's only so much youth you can put out on an OL at once. Edited by BarleyNY

It can be debated the Bills need one starter on the O-line, to man one of the OG spots as see our current line being Glenn, Williams*, Wood, Incognito and Henderson. With Williams being the biggest question mark. Now our depth is a bit questionable with Richardson, Urbik and Kujo the top options. Yet I have a feeling we might sign a vet after May 12 (as it won't count against us in the quest for compensation picks). So to me taking more than one with our top 2 picks a bit of an over kill as we also need help at depth at SS, TE, LB,and DE/DT. Also O-lineman generally can't hep ST and we just lost our 3rd best ST in UFA Larry Dean a few days ago.

Edited by The Jokeman

Certainly makes it less of a need, but Spikes is a short term answer. We need another young ILB, IMO.

what?

do you know how old Spikes is?

Lawson is next up for replacement, then K Williams then M Williams then Leodis.

I dont feel good about drafting two more OL early.

But if its BPA so be it.

I don't disagree. That is kind of my point. They still need a starting caliber OL but then the depth should be there. Those other guys are petty good depth and I expect the young guys from last year to grow. If they draft 2 then 1 of the above guys will be cut. Maybe Cyril or Cyrus? I'd rather not dump either dominant college OL without the proper coaching. I want Kromer to work with these guys at least for a year and then decide. They just aren't in a place to use their 2nd AND 3rd on the same position. If they want to take another flier late on a Henderson type with ?? go for it.

Great posts from both you and John.

The only pick I would find disappointing would be a RB or a WR.

and these are what i think they might pick.

But lets not discount TE and DE/DT

Never? CK was a five star recruit (as was Seantrel). Those guys are pretty rare and their bust rates are much lower.

CK looked like a disaster in the preseason last year - it looked as though his feet were cement blocks. He clearly wasn't ready for the NFL. That said, I don't trust a single thing that happened under Marrone on the offensive side of the ball - Doug Marrone also was not ready for the NFL. Let's see what a professional coaching staff can do with Glenn, Wood, and 2 five star recruits - and let the rest of the guys fight it out for the last guard spot, someone has to emerge based upon pure numbers.

I want any of a QB, a pass rushing linebacker, or a tight end at 50, unless a highly touted tackle slips to 50.

Although despite all of what I just said, yeah I'd be fine with two OLs.

Coach, I thought that he was WAY overrated in college. Barrett Jones was a superior LT and I think that Saban moved Jones to Center and CK to LT because it was Jones's last year and he had to fill the LT position for the following season. This of couse is just a theory.

Again, I hope that he kicks ass but he has injury issues and the fact that he didn't see the field last season in a real concern.

I was screaming for Dave Decastro in the first round a few years back... This year I'm not so sure.... Maybe a stud center... I'd rather go TE, WR, RB, or DE... if Rex can build a great defense, I feel steel will sharpen steel in TC, and practices..

I would be upset, only in the fact that I do not believe picking 2 OL is A) Needed/Warranted with the 2nd and 3rd round picks B)would give us instant contributors to a team that needs individuals to come in and play in specific roles. I put this together for you guys to look at quickly, courtesy of Spotrac:

I apologize for the long lists, I'll leave markers to make it easier to jump ahead to the point of this post:

Key players contracts coming up in 2016:
Marcell Dareus
Matt Cassel
Percy Harvin
Stephon Gilmore
Fred Jackson
Nigel Bradham
Cordy Glenn
Rich Incognito
Ron Brooks
Bryce Brown
Marcus Thigpen
Nick Robey
Stefan Charles
Ty Powell
MarQueis Gray
Bacarri Rambo
Chris Hogan
Corbin Bryant
Kenny Ladler
Key Players contracts ending in 2017:
Leodis McKelvin
Manny Lawson
EJ Manuel
Kraig Urbrik
Robert Woods
Anthony Dixon
Jarius Wynn
Marquise Goodwin
Duke Williams
Johnathan Meeks
Chris Gragg
Jeff Tuel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Players in my mind playing for their jobs the for the following seasons:
(2016)
Ron Brooks
Bryce Brown
Marcus Thigpen
Nick Robey
Stefan Charles
Ty Powell
MarQueis Gray
Bacarri Rambo
Chris Hogan
Corbin Bryant
Kenny Ladler
(2017)
Manny Lawson
EJ Manuel
Kraig Urbrik
Jarius Wynn
Marquise Goodwin
Duke Williams
Johnathan Meeks
Chris Gragg
Jeff Tuel
-----------------------------------------------------
Looking ahead, I would say with pretty good certainty that we will be sorting out our Safety, CB, and TE position in the next year or two. We have several players that are essentially trying to hold down their shots of being on the roster when their contracts come up. In terms of OL and this Draft. I would be ELATED to grab Ali Marpet in the 3rd if he is there for us to take. Other than that there are a few OT/G that I think would be worth the second/third round selection. I just think there will be a player of better value at other positions when we draft 50th overall. We are PAINFULLY thin at TE, and on paper we appear equally thin at LB although Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes will probably play some sort of LB hybrid position.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Contract wise, the players I think that are done as far as being on the team a year from now:
Lets start with the retirement of Fred Jackson, I love the man, but I think his time has come
Bryce Brown and Marcus Thigpen: Brown is fumble prone and could easily be replaced with a new young RB in the 2016 draft especially if FJAX is let go(I would be more inclined to keep FJAX on a 1-2 yr contract to groom his replacement that would be drafted). Marcus Thigpen, I love the guy as a return man, but I could see us letting him go, mainly in an attempt to keep Harvin and give those duties to him.
Kenny Ladler and Bacarri Rambo: One of these 2 is gone imo. Rambo might have been the hero in the game against the Packers, but i'm sure I don't have to point out how lucky he was on 1 of his picks that Rodgers didn't Nelson taking the top off our D. Kenny has not done anything to wow me.
Ron Brooks and Nick Robey: 1 of these two is also gone. I know that Rex loves his CBs like Parcells loved his LBs, but sometimes you gotta sift through the dirt and decide when to dig a new patch. IMO Ron Brooks goes, Robey has done amazing when given the chance, even with the limitation of his size.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contracts that we will be watching unfold:

BTW current Active Contracts for 2016 is 125 million and anticipated Cap will be 150+ million (need roughly 5 million for rookies)

Mario Williams: Restructures to gain a long term contract, and save us money for........ (lets say 16 million so we can drop the active amount to 121 million)

Marcell Dareus: Gets a 16 million a year contract eased by the restructuring mentioned above.
Matt Cassel: New deal, who knows when this gets done, but we need a Vet - maybe we replace him with someone else.
Percy Harvin: IMO does well enough to get the second and third years of his contract: That's currently 6 Million (or we could let him walk)
Stephon Gilmore: 6-8 Million a year, bonus money upfront to ease the following years
Fred Jackson: Gone (broken hearts forever)
Nigel Bradham: 3-5 Million a Year
Cordy Glenn: 4-7 Million a Year Pending Performance
Rich Incognito: 3.5 Million a year - we drop Chris Williams contract and give it to Richie (we end up with a wash moneywise here)
We are going to have to be really creative with our contracts, because I see us needing to come up with about 10 million that we don't have in 2016 unless we drop some contracts and restructure some other ones.

Would I be upset? No. If they feel they need the depth then get the depth. I just don't think that's realistic. I like them to take a linebacker with one or the other pick and then follow it with the opposite. Just what I think.

Whether it was Manuel or Orton last year, the O-line simply could not do their jobs well enough for the offense to function. To many breakdowns in protection and not enough push or agility to make anything work consistently. If the line is fixed this year and can get to the top half of the league, the Bills will have a great season. If it took 2nd and 3rd round picks to add to the mix to get it done, I would not care. Whatever it takes. Fix it.