Bryce Petty with Gruden

Andy1

Has Gruden ever had a QB on that he didn't like? It is like these shows are here to only pretend the QB looks better.

I think Gruden offers up a fair amount of criticism to go along with praise for each of the QB's. For example, he really raked petty over the coals about his weakness with protection calls. It is meant for entertainment, however, and people wouldn't time in if Gruden was overly negative.

Petty certainly has a lot of arm talent, but he does not seem ready to run a pro-style offense. He's a project, and would be a decent value (IMO) in the 4th or 5th round. He'll likely go much earlier than he should.

I think Gruden offers up a fair amount of criticism to go along with praise for each of the QB's. For example, he really raked petty over the coals about his weakness with protection calls. It is meant for entertainment, however, and people wouldn't time in if Gruden was overly negative.

Petty certainly has a lot of arm talent, but he does not seem ready to run a pro-style offense. He's a project, and would be a decent value (IMO) in the 4th or 5th round. He'll likely go much earlier than he should.

I agree with this. He'll go in the second round.

This dude from Bleacher Report tweeted a mock draft selection of the Bills trading their 3rd round pick this year and 1st round pick next year to move up to 16 and take Petty. I wanted to hunt this guy down and tell him where he can put his mock draft.

I disagree. I like the QB thing but he's afraid to criticize anybody. To me he doesn't want to sound bad because he's gonna take another job. Hopefully soon. As for football broadcasters I think he's the worst by a mile.

I enjoy these videos with prospective NFL QBs. I remember watching the clip of Mariucci sitting down with Matt Barkley. Prior to this video, I liked Barkley's game and thought it translated well to the NFL. After watching the video, I wanted the Bills to have nothing to do with him. To me, he clearly didn't have the mental capability to QB in the pros.

Mariucci gave him a simple mental QB task that I was able to complete...and I'm no QB. It seems like a small thing, but to me it revealed so much. NFL quarterbacks must have football smarts. He didn't have it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000145244/Barkley-gets-put-to-the-test

Has Gruden ever had a QB on that he didn't like? It is like these shows are here to only pretend the QB looks better.

When I watch the show I'm less interested in Gruden and more interested in the QB's personality and how the QB interacts with Gruden, rather than visa versa.

For example, Cam Newton was extremely confident and even authoritative around Gruden. That was the only time I saw a QB who didn't automatically bow his head to Gruden. On the other hand, I felt like Gruden was having fun messing with Blaine Gabbert. Look how those QBs turned out.

Not saying it's the most important thing, but I feel like it's a potential predictor of future success. Another guy who impressed me last year was Derek Carr with his steady, yet not cocky, confidence. Again, it paid off on the field. Character is very important indicator in the QB position, but again there's always exceptions.

Like on MNF where every player is the best to ever play the game? Gruden is annoying.

When I watch the show I'm less interested in Gruden and more interested in the QB's personality and how the QB interacts with Gruden, rather than visa versa.

For example, Cam Newton was extremely confident and even authoritative around Gruden. That was the only time I saw a QB who didn't automatically bow his head to Gruden. On the other hand, I felt like Gruden was having fun messing with Blaine Gabbert. Look how those QBs turned out.

Not saying it's the most important thing, but I feel like it's a potential predictor of future success. Another guy who impressed me last year was Derek Carr with his steady, yet not cocky, confidence. Again, it paid off on the field. Character is very important indicator in the QB position, but again there's always exceptions.

cam couldn't even remember a play in the auburn playbook during that interview. he got a lot of flack for that.

well, i think the big thing for gruden is if he really kills a guy, no other qbs are going to sign up for his random espn show. qbs go on it because its an easy soft ball setting to look good to fans pre-draft

well, i think the big thing for gruden is if he really kills a guy, no other qbs are going to sign up for his random espn show. qbs go on it because its an easy soft ball setting to look good to fans pre-draft

Exactly. It's meant for entertainment purposes, and I think people need to watch with that in mind. I'm sure when Gruden was a HC, and a QB was brought in for a pre-draft visit, the interview looked a lot different. As a previous poster mentioned, I pay closer attention to how the player interacts with Gruden. His personality...the way he carries himself....the way he responds to constructive criticism.

Exactly. It's meant for entertainment purposes, and I think people need to watch with that in mind. I'm sure when Gruden was a HC, and a QB was brought in for a pre-draft visit, the interview looked a lot different. As a previous poster mentioned, I pay closer attention to how the player interacts with Gruden. His personality...the way he carries himself....the way he responds to constructive criticism.

id bet it depends on the prospect. in "real life" id assume he has a pretty big book on guys and if they have questions on how he responds to hard coaching gruden may go after him to see for himself, other times he likely stays real positive to see if he can get him comfortable and "catch" the guy on something.

i think the way you are watching is spot on though. not always, but im sure some subtle things can be picked up on when viewed through the right lens.