Charles Clay REPORT: Dolphins won't match offer sheet

ive seen that comment before and i dont get where its coming from unless theres something structurally im unaware of. is it just a game of telephone where the details got a bit twisted and its simply a case of it spreading out cap hits down the line which they are guaranteed to have to account for if cut.

Either way, you can only go to that well so often before it runs dry and their well is very very close to running dry with some of their bad FA deals they've signed the last few years...

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Dolphins board: "What I do like is the fact that by doing nothing but tagging him, the Dolphins force the Bills to overpay him. Will it prevent them from from getting any particular player? Who knows! But it will limit their ability to acquire talent, including a decent QB (that might make that team somewhat dangerous...). With the stroke of a pen, the Dolphins were able to hinder a rival. That I like.

The vindictive !@#$ in me would love to keep Clay just to keep him off the Bills, but I know this is really the best move for the Dolphins."

LMAO!! They think they screwed us over and hurt us from signing players...hahahaha

sorry Fin fans, we actually know how to manage the cap...had no other choice for 20 years...

Who cares what they think. I'll remember this when the 2015 Suh cost that they deferred till 2016 kills them next year. They lost a guy they wanted to keep. Signed a replacement who seems to concussion prone. I think the fact the Phins are so concerned about us means they've given up on being the best team in the division and are settling for 3rd. At least we are trying to dethrone the Pats.

Either way, you can only go to that well so often before it runs dry and their well is very very close to running dry with some of their bad FA deals they've signed the last few years...

i understand - i just feel like as a matter of discussion its nice to get the information accurate. if there is something else id be curious to hear about it.

They would have to convince Clay to take the guarenteed money further down the line, such as 2017 or 2018 if they restructure it...good luck with that...

Not really. The way it is now if it stays the same, they pay him 10m cash in 2016 for that bonus and it counts 10m against their cap in 2016. If they convert it to signing bonus they still pay 10m cash which he gets right then but the cap hit is only 2.5m for 2016 (for that bonus).

Not really. The way it is now if it stays the same, they pay him 10m cash in 2016 for that bonus and it counts 10m against their cap in 2016. If they convert it to signing bonus they still pay 10m cash which he gets right then but the cap hit is only 2.5m for 2016 (for that bonus).

right - where it could hurt them is if they want to cut him in 2017 it would create an extra 7.5m in dead money (on top of whatever would be there from the original signing bonus, and any 2017 guaranteed dollars-likely little to none).

i think that is the issue at play here. not some trick that roster bonuses cant be converted (happens often) or if they do it will somehow penalize clay so he would refuse. really, that 10m has a good shot of us converting it next year too, if we need a little wiggle room and clay looks good this year.

right - where it could hurt them is if they want to cut him in 2017 it would create an extra 7.5m in dead money (on top of whatever would be there from the original signing bonus, and any 2017 guaranteed dollars-likely little to none).

i think that is the issue at play here. not some trick that roster bonuses cant be converted (happens often) or if they do it will somehow penalize clay so he would refuse. really, that 10m has a good shot of us converting it next year too, if we need a little wiggle room and clay looks good this year.

Yep. I never heard of roster bonus not being able to be converted. That seems strange. It's possible that if Clay really wants to play for the Bills that his agent tells the Dolphins he won't restructure but I doubt that happens. The Fins are in a bad spot. They probably really want to match but it would be dumb. He's worth more to the Bills than he is to the Fins.

Haven't seen one post on Dolphins board saying Miami should match...most say we are overpaying and downplaying how good he is...others say if Dolphins match the front office should be fired for not giving him a better contract offer to prevent this in the fist place...

Haven't seen one post on Dolphins board saying Miami should match...most say we are overpaying and downplaying how good he is...others say if Dolphins match the front office should be fired for not giving him a better contract offer to prevent this in the fist place...

Same here.

I dont think they will match

they would get too much backlash from the fans

CBF

they screwed themselves by misjudging his value around the league. Should have franchised him if they couldn't agree on an extension but they realized that too late.

We definitely are overpaying but you can overpay and still be doing the right thing. The Fins matching this contract, to me, would be overpaying and the wrong thing, because of their offense, Jordan Cameron, and their cap situation.

Wouldn't it depend on what the Bills plan on paying him for this year, in terms of signing bonus vs base salary, if the Bills would convert that $10mm next season? If they pay him a signing bonus this year, then convert the roster bonus next year, they would just be adding to the dead cap amount at the end of the contract, which would be a bit odd.

I read somewhere that the Fins have the fourth highest amount of 'dead cap' money in 2015 (I believe around $18 million-plus).

That has to factor into their roster budgeting when it comes to need-to-have vs. want-to-have player decisions...

Wouldn't it depend on what the Bills plan on paying him for this year, in terms of signing bonus vs base salary, if the Bills would convert that $10mm next season? If they pay him a signing bonus this year, then convert the roster bonus next year, they would just be adding to the dead cap amount at the end of the contract, which would be a bit odd.

its pretty common around the league these days to pencil in the year 2 roster bonus and then a team plan to convert it in order to get players the big money in the first 2 years (to make a deal more appealing than a similar average offer). its what i was saying the saints did all off season when people where saying they were way over the cap, its what the dolphins did with suh.... as long as the guy is in your long term plans, its not crazy... but if he falls out of favor, it can hurt.

any time you see the word re-structure, 99% of the time its doing very similar though (just a matter of how early in the deal - but typically early as you dont otherwise have space to spead the hit

the other thing to consider is if we are getting a 12m cap hit, odds are we are paying a fat roster bonus, not signing bonus, this year. otherwise it would be amortized down to a lower number than 12m

Edited by NoSaint

#42 is available too.

Some things are just meant to happen....

CBF

The Bills already announced Jerome Felton will wear #42, which is the number he wore in Minnesota. Of course, perhaps he can be persuaded.

convert the roster bonus next year, they would just be adding to the dead cap amount at the end of the contract.

That would be a risk if they cut him in 2017. But if he's at all productive, he'll likely be on the roster 3-4 or more years, which would mitigate the risk.

Whaley appears to be a real risk taker, relative to most GMs. Time will tell if that's prudent, but it sure is fun to watch his plan come together...

I haven't read thru every page of this, but I read on Twitter last night that Clay's catches, yards, and TDs from last year would all set season records for a Bills TE.

I don't think so.

Clay 2014: 58 receptions 605 yards and 3 TDs

Metzelaars 1993: 68 receptions 609 yards and 4 TDs.

Keith McKeller never came close, neither did Jay Riemersma, nor Mark Brammer.

I read somewhere that the Fins have the fourth highest amount of 'dead cap' money in 2015 (I believe around $18 million-plus).

That has to factor into their roster budgeting when it comes to need-to-have vs. want-to-have player decisions...

They actually have about $26MM in dead cap. Compare that to the Bills $7MM.

its pretty common around the league these days to pencil in the year 2 roster bonus and then a team plan to convert it in order to get players the big money in the first 2 years (to make a deal more appealing than a similar average offer). its what i was saying the saints did all off season when people where saying they were way over the cap, its what the dolphins did with suh.... as long as the guy is in your long term plans, its not crazy... but if he falls out of favor, it can hurt.

any time you see the word re-structure, 99% of the time its doing very similar though (just a matter of how early in the deal - but typically early as you dont otherwise have space to spead the hit

the other thing to consider is if we are getting a 12m cap hit, odds are we are paying a fat roster bonus, not signing bonus, this year. otherwise it would be amortized down to a lower number than 12m

I suppose the other problem would be the player doesn't have any guaranteed money in the later part of his contract. So he could hold out. Signing a new deal wouldn't alleviate the signing bonus from the previous contract would it?

I suppose all this doesn't really matter if the salary cap is expected to rise as much as it is.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I don't think so.

Clay 2014: 58 receptions 605 yards and 3 TDs

Metzelaars 1993: 68 receptions 609 yards and 4 TDs.

Keith McKeller never came close, neither did Jay Riemersma, nor Mark Brammer.

it was 2013

69 catches -- 759 yards and 6 tds

Edited by NoSaint